1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cervical surgery

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hotrod67, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hotrod67

Hotrod67 Member

Anyone still shooting after cervical surgery?. I just had c5'6 and 6'7 repaired and fused. How long before you can start shooting again?. I'm sending my stock to Soft Touch before I start shooting again. Any help?. Thanks

2. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I don't know your answer but I just got my rock back from Soft Touch and that thing is as close to cheating as it gets. The first time I ever shot the gun I ran a 100 straight in practice. Good luck with your recovery.

3. high 2

high 2 Member

I had 4-5-6 done in 05. Don't rush it. I started shooting about 10 weeks after the surgery. Larry

4. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

It takes months for bone to heal and you dont want to loosen the screws.
    I would look at 3/4 oz to start with.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I started shooting low recoil firearms like 22 and 223 three months after my surgery. My doctor cleared me to do "anything" in late August, but I tore my knee up and have been too lame to go to the trap range. But that ought to give you a rough time line.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shooting skeet with a 410 is a good way to get back in the game. HMB

7. Hotrod67

Hotrod67 Member

Thanks to everyone for their advise. I may not be able to shoot until the spring so that should be plenty of time. Also have gun mods to do now. Thanks again to all who replied.

8. trap72

trap72 Member

I would advise that you sincerely follow the advise of your surgeon/doctor. I would not try to rush it. I had C-2 to C-7 done by one of the best neurosurgeon in this nation. I have two titanium rods with screws, bone grafs, the works. I was in the hospital for 24 days. Every surgery and person is different, I was kept off shooting for 3 years. Every surgery and person is different, obey your doctor's instructions. I just recently resume shooting and can not feel any adverse effects. I am not certain if I can ever shot an entire shoot program. 100 rounds a day is about my limit now. Titanium rods are reported to be very strong, but I have read online that some had experienced a broken rod. I wish you well.

9. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Herniated disc in my neck in July of 2011....stopped shooting unitl April of 2012. I now shoot 7/8 oz. most of the time, and have learned to like the lighter loads. As near as I can tell, the 7/8 oz have less of a shot string, and a lot less recoil back to your shoulder. You may want to visit a Physical therapist to help you with rebuilding shoulder and neck muscles. Take your time, asked your MD about Physical Therapy!!

10. Hotrod67

Hotrod67 Member

I can't imagine what you went through. I only spent two nights and three days in the hospital. You can bet your bottom dollar that I'll follow the Doctors orders. Don't want to do it a second time. Thanks for your advise and God bless.

11. Hotrod67

Hotrod67 Member

I have always shot one and an eighth oz. at 1145fps figuring I need all the help I can get. I will take your advise and try it.thanks.

12. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Had my 3,4,5 fusion done and was not to do much for 3 months. Explained to doctor that I shot trap and he had me start back easy after the three months, He said to see how it went and then increase, but not to over do it. Started with shooting 50 one ounce the first week, felt okay with that and over a months time increased each week. After all the medical bills, time off, surgery bs and etc it would not be worth rushing it. Use your head and before you know it your back feeling better than before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rifle shooting after cervical fusion

rifle shooting after neck surgery

shooting guns after acdf surgery

shooting shotgun after acdf surgery