1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Cervical Fusion

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bigdogtx, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Had 4, 5 & 6 fused with a couple discs replaced. For those who have had this done,,,,,,how long till you could shoot again?

Anything I should watch for?

Having a Shockmaster put on so this should at least help the recoil reduction? Was told no shooting for 2 months. ARRRGH!!!
  2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Best wishes on feeling well soon. I think that sounds like a short time re. recovery, just a totally uneducated response to 2 months. Heck, I was not cleared to shoot for 7 months after a rotator cuff operation. I sure hope somebody answers you quickly with a definitive answer based upon experience; indeed it is nice to know.
  3. Lyle

Lyle Member

My doc said as soon as I was comfortable. I believe it was about a month or so. Fully cleared to do anything after three months.

Lyle
  4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

I had this done seven or eight weeks ago (lost track of time). Hoping to come off of light duty when I see the doc in mid-May.

I'm shooting rimfires, but that's about it.

You do know that full recovery takes a year, right?
  5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"You do know that full recovery takes a year, right?"

Or more. There is no answer to how long. Your Surgeon and your individual case holds the answers. As someone who has had two spinal fusion surgeries and looking at a third this winter, you DO NOT want to f**k it up. Write this year off as full trap competition goes and concentrate on recovering the right way.
  6. bigdogtx

Wow,,,,,she didn't tell me the YEAR thing!!! Better safe than sorry. :(
  7. high 2

high 2 Member

Had the same three done in 2005. Didn't do anything for 6 weeks. Had to be sure everything fused back and healed before I would do anything. It was about 3 months before I started back shooting. Bad thing is I need the same done above and below the old patch. Not good. Good luck with yours and give it plenty of time to heal. Larry
  8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I had the same disc's fused over 20 years ago, back them they would take a series of Xrays to see if it is fusing together and make an educated guess from those ... I still have occasional problems even after over 20 years such as head aches, and stiffness with some loss of feeling ... WPT ... (YAC) ...
  9. Va Longhorn

Va Longhorn Member

I had C6-C7 fused in Aug of 2010 and still made opening day of dove season three weeks later shooting my 28 ga. Making opening day was a requirement I laid out for the surgeon when we picked surgery dates. My best advice is do everything they tell you to do to make sure you don't hit a speed bump during recovery. Good Luck! John S
  10. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

GEEZ Jim,

I'm sorry to hear that. I will say a preayer for you. I want to shoot again in Texas, so speedy recovery my friend.

Chuck
  11. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Had mine done on Dec. 1 was able to shoot on March 31. Doc told me to ease in and try shooting a round or two and if that didn't bother me then next time out try more. I did what he said and seem like everthing is doing fine. Still have some stiffness sometimes, but feel and move better than before. Don't rush it!!
  12. Don Bailor

Don Bailor TS Member

i had 2-6 done 4 yrs ago it took a yr for the bone to grow over everything and be completely healed. in the early stages it was about falling and displacing something before it was immovable, use care they don't like to do the fix twice and you probably would't either.
  13. bigdogtx

thanks chuck, I appreciate it. Thanks to everyone for all the advice
  14. bigdogtx

Dang Vern,,,,how did you get my X-rays? Thanks for the encouragement.

Jim
  15. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 TS Member

I waited a year before I shot. I wanted to make sure that the cadaver bone implants (C4-C6) and the plate had ample time to properly fuse. Even after that, I eased back into shooting by shooting 7/8 oz loads for a couple months.

JMHO

Jim C
  16. lesharris2305

lesharris2305 TS Member

I had fusion on L1,L2.10 weeks in plastic upper body cast. No bending from hips.No lifting over 15 pounds.
    Back shooting very light loads 4 months.
    Good luck with the surgery.
    Les.
  17. economan

economan TS Member

Had to quit shooting to avoid similar surgery. Best wishes and good luck.

Greg
  18. Skeeix

Skeeix TS Member

I had the C2 thru C7 fused six years ago. I started shooting to soon after the surgery and when the doctor had some x-rays done about 9 months post op he discovered the the screws in the C2 had started to back out. In the next year I had x-rays done every 60 days and the neurosurgeon watched the progress of the problem. He finally went back in and removed the C2 screws and I never had any more problems. My point is do not be in any hurry to get back to shooting.

Clyde
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.