1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Certain shotguns mean a lot to some shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Apr 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

A couple years ago I was at the Waukesha state shoot and I saw a guy with a Remington 870 trap gun that was made in 1957. The gun was all beat up, most of the bluing was worn off, and the wood was all dinged up. I am left handed, and the gun fit me perfect.

I offered the guy $500.00 for the gun, he declined. I offered him a new 870 TC, declined. I offered him a new BT99 for the gun declined. He told me no matter what you offer me for the gun, I won't sell this gun.

I asked him what makes this gun so special that you won't sell it? He said this was my father's gun that he gave to me. My father is no longer living and even though the bluing is almost gone, the stock has numerous dings, and the finnish is worn off, each ding this gun has is part of my dad and my history of shooting and being together.

He said like lines on a person face, there is a story behind each one of them that tell you what this person has been through in life.

With that being said, I told him after hearing what this gun means to you, I am happy that you will not sell it. I said I hope you hand it down to a relative some day.

How many of you have a particular gun that you will not sell regardless of the amount of money that is offered to you, as each mark on your gun has a story to tell.

Steve Balistreri

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

No marks on my 4e but it ain't for sale! Shot my first 100 straight with it. Even if I quit shooting it it's not for sale. Goes to the kid!

3. jhoward

jhoward Member

Same as your story Steve, my Dad's 870. I break it out every August and shoot games with it on the anniversary of his passing.

4. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I have a Herters Trap gun. It's been rebuilt 3 times and the stock is cracked to two places. I started with it because it was all I could afford. I ran my first 200 with it and a bunch more. Now I can afford, pretty much, what I want.

The Herters is not for sale.

Ajax

5. senior smoke

There are some people who believe that everything is for sale for the right price. I believe like the rest of you that have responded, that certain things in life mean more to us than money.
    Steve

6. cle

cle Member

I didn't get a gun from my Dad, but in 40+ years with this game I've been through a bunch of trapguns and pretty well honed it down to the ones I like the best and that work the best for me. So, when it comes time............

The Bowen goes back to my brother.....,

The Krieghoff goes to the kid........., but,

The Model 12 goes in the BOX with me.

'Cause we all know there's an exact replica of Vandalia in heaven; there's no wind, it's always 70 deg., sunny and low humidity, and the targets and ammo are free. But, the 7 1/2 or 8's controversy continues.

CLE RECTOR

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

My M17 Remington given to me by my grandfather who hunted SD roosters with it clear back in the 1930s. The gun was well worn when I got it but no major damge or rust. I used that gun hard for several years and took all manner of small game with it and even a fair whitetail buck with a slug. I had it fully restored a few years ago and now only bring it out of the safe to be admired and wiped down and maybe an easy quail hunt once a year.

Its probably not worth $300 in the fair market but I wouldn't trade it for a new K80.

8. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

"...there's an exact replica of Vandalia in heaven..."

CLE, sure hope you're right about that.

milt

9. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

All my guns are for sale at the right price. (39 total)

10. senior smoke

APrice:
    I don't know how the guy shot the gun, but that sob sure fit me perfect. It had left hand cast and he was right handed. Now if there is a Vandalia in heaven, I wouldn't mind if there was a thunderstorm to remind us of when we all shot at the grand. I really miss those days.
    Steve

11. jwells

jwells Member

vandalia was like fenway park. outdated and limited space and needed spruced up a bit. but it cant be relaced and with some paint and some new lumber here and there it was a classic

12. senior smoke

jwells:
    That was a great analogy.
    Steve

13. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

My TMX. Kid won an MD state shoot off with it for SCTP runner up couple of years back. Windy, nasty afternoon - went 9 for 10.

14. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

Have a 90t high rib i think of selling, cause i shoot a beretta combo. I like shooting one gun for singles, doubles and caps, so the 90t stays in the safe. Problem is i love the 90t, so my indecision continues.
    Dale

15. spritc

spritc Active Member

Three model 12s, my Dad's 12 gauge, the 20 gauge he and my mother gave me for Christmas in 1964 and the one you see below that was a gift from a great friend. My kids can have them when I'm gone, but they won't mean the same to them. Until then, they are mine and I've never had a problem with any of them.

Steve

kolardude_2008_03034.jpg

kolardude_2008_03035.jpg

kolardude_2008_03036.jpg

kolardude_2008_03037.jpg

16. spritc

spritc Active Member

It came from a friend, so I don't know where he got it. I usually prefer dark wood, but this is awfully pretty. I had no idea Tiger maple was so beautiful. I'm going to shoot trap with it tomorrow afternoon for the first time and it ought to be fun.

Steve

17. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Two Belgium Browning A5's one in 12ga mag and the other in 20.

They are in his grand kid's hands now. They still look like new.

18. lostandout

lostandout Member

a 35 remington pump my grandfather built a barn for in the 1930's sure is a sweet shooter i take it out one day a year deerhunting so it wont forget its past

brian

19. senior smoke

If guns could only talk about where they have been and who has owned them.
    Steve

20. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Well I have several trap guns. I have several Mod 12's. But out of all is the little ol 16ga. I got it 50 yrs ago. It was my girl friends fathers who was a chief of police and passed away several years before. Her and her mother gave it to me. I married that women 45yrs ago and she is still the boss. I have shot everthing that I could possibly hunt with it. I have used it for my Trap gun for years untill I could afford a 12ga mod 12. I still pull it out of the safe a few times a year and shot it on games. It still takes money. Not as often as it used to and the problem is me not the gun. All my guns will go to the kids and grandkids except that one. I am still thinking about that. Putting it in the box with me would not being doing the gun justice for what it was made for. But one thing for sure its not for sale. Wild Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.