1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ceramic Shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mearss1, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mearss1

mearss1 TS Member

How about jewelry beads? They come in graduated sizes. Might be worth a try. 16yds might not be a problem, but how about at longer yardage?

2. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

U can always use Heavy shot !

Pat Kelley

3. mearss1

mearss1 TS Member

Pat - I suppose that would be one way to go, but at $129.95 for a 27# bag .. .. .. might as well stick with lead. I'm looking at a ecologically friendly, low cost alternative. HeviShot doesn't fit that bill for me.

skip

4. jimsw

jimsw Member

Not enough weight. A cubic foot of lead weighs 708 lbs, steel 490 lbs,glass 161 lbs.

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I suppose any material with a enough weight/density to consistently break targets should be considered a viable shot source. Lead is one of those natural elements which we got lucky enough to discover - but when economics come into play we need to be open to alternatives.

But its just not the initial manufacture, IMO it must be recoverable.

Even at 70%, steel is viable - dynamics require getting used to, but it breaks birds...

Jay

6. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

How about a composite of "glass" and lead? A composition of 75% lead and 25% "glass" would yield an approximate cubic foot weight of 570lbs.

The question I have is how would the glass/sand affect a barrel?

Jim C

7. alpine

alpine TS Member

Enclosed in a wad? Not at all. The problem with steel shot and barrels is that when steel goes thru the choke it doesn't compress like lead does.

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Alpine:

While it is true that steel does not compress like lead, what problem(s) are you suggesting does that create? In theory, if Lead did not compress and deform, Lead patterns would be tighter and one would have less "fliers"?!

Jay

9. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Nothing beats lead. Heavy, easy to form into shot, easy on barrels, corrosion resistant so it can be reclaimed years later, and even at $1.50/lb, cheap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.