1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cerakote Update

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barry C. Roach, Nov 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I thought it was time to update my experience with having my MX8 OU set of barrels Cerakoted. First, Cerakote is a spray on and bake finish that was developed for firearms. It has ceramic mixed with the pigment and binder. It comes in several colors.

I had Dan at Giacomo rebuild a set of OU MX8 but not blue them. I sent them to the company that manufactures Cerakote, NIC, in Oregon and they prepared the metal surface and did the application. This was done as a favor after much begging as they aren't in that business and they have a long list of folks using Cerakote that have gone to NIC's application school and have become certified applicators.

I've used the barrels for about a year and a half now, shooting all of my doubles and singles with it. I'm not hard on my guns but they are shooters and are not babied. There's not a mark on it other than a small friction wear mark where the forend touches the barrels.

I don't worry about rust from handling and it cleans up so nice it looks as good as the day it was sprayed. It is far more durable than blueing. It doesn't have that dyed look that blueing gives. The finish is more matte but shinier than parkerizing. It is far more uniform than blueing.

I chose a color that closely resembles the color of deep dark blueing but you can have your choice of a lot of colors. For competition shooters' everyday guns it is a great barrel finish. I don't think it would be as good for the receiver of a break open gun though. For barrels I think it's superior.

2. kenf

kenf Active Member

My next rifle will be cerakoted. Very durable finish. I think it would probably hold up better on a receiver than the finish on the old Mono guns.

3. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

got pictures?

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Pictures would be nice!

Hauxfan!

5. 87AA

87AA TS Member

I am in the process of redoing my CG barrels with Cerakote. This will be the second set I've done. Hopefully, I'll be able to spray and bake tonight. I'll post pics if I can.

You can buy small 4 oz. samples form Brownells for DIY projects but only in a limited colors. I've used Duracoat and Molyresin on other projects in the past and Cerakote wins hands down. No experience with Gunkote.

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

A local gunsmith has Cerakoted several rifle parts for me; the finish looks nice and wears well. He builds custom rifles - for competitive shooting, mostly - and Cerakotes the entire gun. They look good if you're into "that" look.

Ed

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I had Glenrock Blue do one of my prairie dog rifles in Cerakota. H-S Precision is a big user of this finish on many of their sniper rifles.

Fantastically beautiful and durable. Made an old shooter look new.

I intend to send more over to them for work.

Whiz

8. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

I had it done to my Ljutic barrel...works great, just do not put in the lock-up area...tolerances are too tight.

WNCRob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.