1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cerakote K80 Titanium Choke Tubes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bridgetoofar, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Has anyone done this? How did it work out?

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

why would you do this

Who does this process- I know for a handgun part frame it is like 150

I imagine choke tubes would be cheap but you couldnt do the threads?

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Well Gene, I want them black because I think they look like $hit the way they are now. I have a high grade gun with an engraved hanger and it would simply look better without plastic looking choke tubes. BTW, you can also coat the threads, as it can be applied as thin as .25 mils. This isn't the stuff you buy in a spray can. It's ceramic based, applied with an airbrush and baked in an oven.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

So you apply this yourself or do you pay to have someone do it?

Are you talking about coating the factory titanium ones ?

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Either way. If you have a good airbrush (not a cheap one with the little compressed air cans used for model makers), you can buy the material from Brownells and then bake it in the oven. Don't quote me, but it's something like 250 degrees for 3 hours. There are also services that do this. It's the most durable coating on the market. A lot of rifle and pistol shooters have it done and those in humid climate have it done. I'm just trying to get some feedback on it's application on titanium and on coke tubes in particular. For instance, I'm not sure if a choke tube wrench will mar the finish or not.

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Great stuff. I had an entire MX8 barrel done by an expert tech. If I was going to do just choke tubes, I'd buy the Cerakote from Brownells and have someone with a spray rig shoot them.

7. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Don't do the threads. I had my Ljutic barrel Cerakoted, and they coated the lug as well. Had to remove it as the tolerances are way too tight in the lock-up area. I suspect there is no good reason to also do the choke threads if its simply a cosmetic matter. It is very durable.

WNCRob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ceracote k80