1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cerakote from a gunsmith point of view

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gunsmith@A.A.E., Feb 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunsmith@A.A.E.

Gunsmith@A.A.E. TS Member

Well with KG kote, Diamond Kote and Teflon being a thing of the past, I honestly have to say our shop has done more Cerakoteing than hot blueing in the last 6 months since we started to offer this service. To date we have yet to find a product that surpasses the quality of this product when properly applied. We have torched, applied chemicals and strippers and have yet been able to make this product fail! Honestly to date we believe this is as good as it gets! If you have yet to experience the working properties of this finish do your self a favor and research it on your your own. Where ever you elect to get this product applied _ if done properly this will be the the best money spent on a finish that will truly last a life for your firearm.

Just one Gunsmith`s opinion.

Ron

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I have yet to see any negative commentary on this stuff.

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Does it come in GOLD?

GB
    DLS

4. Gunsmith@A.A.E.

All though their stainless finish is as bead blasted stainless looks like I do not believe the gold would fairly represent a true 24 kt gold that most trap shooter are looking for! But yes a gold finish would be available.

Ron
    AAE

5. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I have first hand experience with Cerakote on an old Perazzi that needed a total refinish.

A good friend, PerazziBigBore/Mike recommended Cerakote by Kentucky Gun Coating, I took his advise and I was totally happy with the end result. Especially it only cost 1/3 from a regular rebluing job.

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

google "cerakote colors" ............No gold. A few variations of silver.

7. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

Its absolutely the best finish. Would do it again. Birdtracker

8. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Does anyone have a ballpark price on having this done to a gun? Jack

9. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Does it chip?

10. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

I think we paid around 350.00 for this. GaryL.
    slugbug1_2008_0303192.jpg

11. birdtracker

Mine was $390 for everything including my spare trigger and shipping. It cleans very easy. I usually wipe it down with Remington oil. I am pretty careful with my gun so I can't say about how easy or not easy to chip. But I was told it will not come off and has a lifetime warranty. Birdtracker

12. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Ron, when I went to your webb site and selected Cerakote, what should have been pictures is just rectangles with x's in them. Jackie B.

13. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

Just what is it? nickel/moly?

14. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I have a color that is similar to gold that I just got from them. It is called "Desert Gold" number H-246.

I plan to do my Glock lower with it. It's a pretty simple process if you follow their instructions. I just did a new lower on my other AR15 in Mil-Spec OD and it is super.

Jackie: Click the above link. and hopefully you can see the different colors. If you cannot, then you may possibly have to change your Internet Options setting to displace pictures and not just picture place markers.

Incidentally, if you order the testers, that is more than enough to do one gun.

Whiz

15. 87AA

87AA TS Member

I agree cerakote is probably the better overall product but it does have it's down side, mainly the fact that it's not as DIY friendly as other coating products.

Non-licensed users are only allowed to by 4 oz samples and in limited colors. Also the mixing of the two parts can be cumbersome. The correct mixture is 24:1 so high volume mixing is not problem. But if you need just a small amount (say enough to coat a trigger guard) you run into problems mixing the correct amount or you end up with a lot of wasted product.

With the KG line of products you (the home user) can buy what ever color you like and in what ever volume you like. If you have a small project you simple use what you need and pour the rest back onto the can.

For my money I'll stick with using the KG line of coatings as it meets all the needs of a target oriented shotgun. Cerakote's properties are great but over kill for non-military weapons. When was the last time your trap gun was subjected to an abundant amount of salt water or emerged in MEK for 24 hours?

16. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

birdtracker,

What color is that on your Ljutic?

ss

17. birdtracker

I never asked. I wanted it to look like stainless. I shipped the parts to them, they coated it, sent it back. I have been smiling for over a year now! Still looks as if I just got it back. Even powder residue wipes right off from the porting. Mine was done in Pennsylvania. Birdtracker

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

3 years on my doubles gun and no chipping. It's the reason I chose Cerakote. No wear spots either. Why would you use a lesser product when you can have the best.

19. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Had this whole gun two tone Cerakote by Kentucky Gun Coating for $175.00 including all disassemble and re-assemble.

What I also like about them is, the price list on their web site is exactly what you'll pay, no hidden charges. Rick, the owner is a very nice guy to work with. He'll do more than you asked.

stevew_2008_030374.jpg

http://www.kyguncoat.com/

You can have it in glossy finish too.

20. Gunsmith@A.A.E.

Yes this product has highly surpassed our expectations of it`s performance. And the volume our shop has experienced has out weighed our traditional hot bluing. If this is any indication of the future than I would expect all firearms to have this style of ceramic coatings. This stuff is simply amazing!

Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cerakote trap gun

what color cerakote to match nickel teflon