1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Centurion Gun Club - Pretoria, South Africa

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Hey gang. Just thought you might like to see a few pics of where I've been shooting in South Africa. Its on the grounds of Swartkop Air Force Base near Pretoria, and its about a 20 minute drive for me, traffic notwithstanding. Unfortunately, they're only open Wednesday and Saturday afternoons, which means I get to shoot only on Saturday afternoons. They have 5 traps that can be used for ATA or DTL trap, but seldom open more than one, plus two bunkers; one dedicated to doubles primarily, and the other is fully automatic and is open for singles. There are two skeet fields set up for Olympic skeet, but the second skeet field is usually set up for "sorta-kinda" 5-stand.

Clubhouse
    timb99_2008_030329.jpg

Trap Field 1
    timb99_2008_030330.jpg

View looking Northeast at trap field, doubles bunker, and you can't see it but there's another trap field, then another bunker, then two more trap fields on further down.

timb99_2008_030331.jpg

Skeet high house.

timb99_2008_030332.jpg

timb99_2008_030333.jpg

timb99_2008_030334.jpg

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

If you want to Google Earth it, the coordinates are:

25°49'1.30"South<br>
    28°10'14.01"East

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

And it must be a shooting sports mindset, but all the folks here have been very welcoming, and happy to have me come and shoot at their club. The guy lounging in the foreground of the 5th photo above let my daughter borrow his MX-8 when she was here visiting on Christmas break, and didn't bat an eye when we told him she shoots left-handed. All he did was go get his tools and move the comb to fit her. Then he seemed surprised that we cleaned it when we were done, assuring us it was unnecessary.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

timb--Thanks for sharing your current World. I am glad you have somewhere that reminds you of home(even if just a little) while you are away. Be safe.

Matt

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

BTW, my 34" unsingle gets a LOT of strange looks, and curious comments. Few folks here have ever seen anything like it. Same for the 32" O/U set.

Almost everything over here is a 28" or 30" O/U, and an occasional SxS.

I think I've seen one pump gun, and maybe 3 or 4 semi-autos since I've been here.

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Here's another thing, and a reminder for all of us who take our rights for granted. The shooters, and even the shop owners, are absolutely green with envy when I tell them about Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas and the like, and explain that I can go in to any Wal-Mart on the way to the club and pick up a case of shells, or even buy a Remington 870 at Wal-Mart on the spot, with only a phone call to NICS.

There are substantial hoops to jump through to get a gun here.

In fact, it was easier for me to bring my gun over from the US than it is for a citizen here to buy a gun legally.

Don't take your rights for granted, ladies & gentlemen.

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Tim,99 Thanks for all the pix's and info. Looks like a nice bunch of shooters over there. Club ln super cond. with a wide var. of targets to shoot at. May you enjoy your time there and may it pass quickly for you. PS I don't think you should tell them to many more stories about the guns and shells here. I agree, that we have it very good here. Let us know how you like their Down the Line shooting, as it sounds like fun. What make of targets do they have there? and do you notice them harder to break than W/Flyers? Shoot well and don't forget to Break-em all. Jeff

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Jeff,

The target brand is LaPorte, and I think they are International targets, which are slightly different dimensionally from the ones we throw at home.

I haven't found them any more difficult to break (except when I'm shooting bunker, in which case they don't break because I don't hit them!) I'm primarily using 24 gram Olympic loads, because that's what is most commonly available.

BTW, with a really full choke, 24 grams of number 9 shot will vaporize 16 yard targets.

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Tim, if you get a chance maybe you can post a pix or two of these targets, so we can see how they differ. Would be good to know. I also agree with you that 7/8 oz. loads or even the larger l oz. loads are all you need to break trap and skeet targets. Some still want the l l/8 oz. shoulder wreakers!!! LOL. I still think the 3/4 oz. loads out of a 28 ga. are perfect for me. Now some of those Sporting Clays targets are a bit tougher. Have fun and Break-em all. Jeff

10. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Just how close is this club to Bloemfontein or Johannesburg ????

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

NJ Bob,

I live in the northern suburb of Johannesburg called Kyalami Hills, near Midrand.

The club is north of me, close to the town of Centurion, which is about halfway between Johannesburg and Pretoria.

Quite a long ways from Bloemfontein.

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Jeff,

I'll post photos if I get a chance, but the targets are not really a lot different. They're a little bigger in diameter, though not so much you'd even notice, and they're a little flatter, with a much less pronounced "dish" at the top.

International Targets: 110 mm (4.33 in.) overall diameter, 25–26 mm (0.98-1.02 in.) in height and weigh 105 g (3.7 oz.)

American Targets: 108 mm (4.25 in) overall diameter, 28–29 mm (1.10–1.14 in) in height and weigh approximately 100 g (3.5 oz.)

The international targets must be a little more "sturdy" to withstand being thrown harder/faster for international trap and skeet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

centurion gun club

centurion gun club sa
pretoria skeet club
shooting trap in pretoria
trap shooting centurion