1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Central A/C trouble-need imput

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by K-GUNS, Apr 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

I just had my Home ( central air ) A/C serviced-or that was the intent. I was getting some musk odor in the air that came out.

Service man said unit was full of mold spores-said the kind that can make you sick. I went up in the attic with him and he took side cover off unit and there was what looked like mold on everything, including insulation,wires, and the inside the unit drain pan was cracked so water leaked on the inside of it. On the outside of unit there was a larger drain pan under entire unit so that water went outside. Also have insulated duct work that branches off to flex duct to vents-one of them is full of water.

Bottom line is this.He said I need a new unit and there are new standards so we can't mix and match,need to replace everything....outside unit and unit in attic as well as new duct and lines.

This is going to be very expensive.......old unit is 13 years old.

IS there any way to kill that mold without replacing everything ? Or is this guy telling me the right thing to do ?

Thanks in advance.

crab

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Crab, I think that the guy is right on. At least in the new unit. 13 years is about the end of the life of a A/C at least down here. If you have cracked unit and all that mold in it, its better just to replace it. As far as the duct work work goes, you need to be the judge there. I can't see it or know how old it is. The duct work is good for two lifes of A/C units and upon the replacement of the third one it is more than likely time to replace. The bad section can be replace from where bad all the way to the duck in the wall, if the rest of duct looks good. Hope this helps you out a bit. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

3. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

I was told with new ac standards,the new duct is higher R value-less moisture and for warranty of new unit it must also be replaced -with new duct and flex duct for warranty to stay in effect ??

4. Pull & Mark

It does make sense to me to replace anyway as the old unit more than likely has shot out the mold spores all thru your old duct work anyway. I know they have made some big changes in the A/C industry in the units now selling. I just don't the particulars as I am not in that end of the Const. business. If you live in a hot area I say go for it. You will get your money back in the life of the unit and may be able to get a kick-back from your electric company if you upgrade as well. Look into that as well. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

5. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

i would recommend that you spand a few extra dollars and buy the DC direct drive blower. It a direct drive dc motor that constantly runs to circulate the air boh winter and summer. we love ours. leave it on all the time and it constantly runs on real low speed and ramps up when you call for heat or cooling and goes back down to an idle to just circulate the air around.Motordoc

6. Pull & Mark

MC, your talking about putting $300-$500 in replacing pan and demolding the entire A/C unit and fogging all the duct work in a system that is 13 years old and may be a low sear unit that sucks up power to run anyway. Would you do that in your home??? Ultimately it is his choice anyway. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

7. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

mc, I think it's energy, not economic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.