1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

center of station?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slayer, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I shoot at a couple of non ata clubs here in MI. A lot of the shooters tend to not shoot from the exact center of the station. In fact many of them "cheat" toward station three quite a bit. Meaning they shoot from the right of stations 1 and 2, left of stations 5 and 6. I was doing the same until I watched Harlan Campbells dvd where he recomended shooting from the exact center of the all stations. I started doing this and noticed that most of the birds look different than they had been to me. It is almost like learning new birds again. How important is it to shoot from the center of the station? How much can you move off center before it is illegal? Thanks Bill in MI

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Rule VII, E, 10:

"10. When firing, the contestant’s feet must be behind the firing mark
    at 16-yards, or behind the mark for the Handicap yardage assigned to
    him/her, depending upon the event being participated in. The contestant
    must stand with at least one foot on an imaginary line drawn through the
    center of the trap and continuing through the center of the post, or have
    one foot on each side of the line. Exceptions to the rule contained in the
    second sentence of this paragraph may be granted by the referee/scorer
    due to inequalities in the shooting platform, and shall be granted for
    wheelchair contestants. Wheelchair contestants shall position their
    chair so that the center of mass of their body is over the place where
    they would stand as required by this rule if no chair were used. If a
    contestant fails to follow this rule in its entirety, the referee/scorer shall
    rule any target fired at and broken a “NO TARGET,” but if fired at and
    missed, the referee/scorer shall rule the target “LOST.”"

3. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I'll move off center sometimes just to avoid the microphone. Mostly because I don't want to move it. I don't honestly believe that you are gaining any advantage as long as you have one foot inside the box.

Even so, V10 quoted the rule correctly and what you describe would be illegal in any ATA tournament.

4. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Just read what V10 posted. Also, note that there is actually no "box" in trapshooting so forget about that often misrepresented rule.

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Geometrically speaking, standing on the inside of the centerline reduces the target angles ever so slightly, so there is an advantage to doing that. It's one of those things that don't hurt anything and if they feel good or increase your self-confidence, just might help.

Ed

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"Also, note that there is actually no "box" in trapshooting so forget about that often misrepresented rule."</I></blockquote>

If there is no box, how does anyone know where the center of the post is so you can stand with one foot on it, particularly on traps with no handicap lanes?

MK

7. 870

870 Well-Known Member

MK:

MY point was some shooters seem to believe the rule says all you have to do is be in the "box" or other variations of this. Just pointing out this is not true. There is no "box" in the rules, just a line from the center of the stations through the center of the traphouse. Yes. we are all used to shooting on concrete "lanes" divided into "boxes" if you will, but they are certainly not required. Some clubs are paved over the entire area, with small lines marking the centerline at each yardage, with no indication of a "box" at all.

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

MK, the line is an imaginary centerline (see rule above).

buck, it's miniscule but like I said, if it feels good...

Ed

9. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

South end gun Clud is about 10 miles from my house and I have shoot there for more than 30 years. Seems that a lot of shooters there stand outside the box.

10. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

I think the key phrase here is "non ata."

If you're new, shoot like Harlan and don't worry about the next guy.

If your doing this to cheat an angle, shame on you you've probably cost yourself a few birds trying to beat the system.

I've scored a lot of events and usually the guy trying to perch on a limb and shoot falls down. Watch the big dogs - good form breaks more targets day in and day out!

My 2 Cents,
    TNCoach

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Well, the other day, as we rotated stations, the fellow behind me was chatting up. I was leadoff and had to wave him back, he looked down and was embarrassed to see he was standing between 3 and 4! lol

12. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

LOL.... I have seen a few guys doing this. Doesn’t bother me at all, I find it hilarious. I can guarantee that they pose no threat to your score.

How many GOOD shooters have you seen doing this? Thought so.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Having watched a DVD by Harlan Campbell, this being his suggestion, what would make you even ask that question ..? I do not mean this in anyway as a slam but have to ask why you would question one of the Top Guns shooting today ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Good point Bill!!

The best shots in the game use inches to their fullest advantage while the rest of us use, well,, something else. The average shooter probably wouldn't notice an advantage if they stepped 3 foot toward the easier angle either?

Hap

15. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I watched my son goto station 2 at a HS trap shoot but rather than being on center of #2 he was one square the left. He shot all 5 from there and no one had the heart to tell him he was off one block..everybody was cool bout it so not to embarrase him. I dont think he had any advantage there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.