1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

census question

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by big D, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big D

big D TS Member

Does the questions, other than how many people live in the house, have to be answered? Thanks, Dave Inman

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

All question needs to be answered. However, how you answer them is another matter.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    $100 fine for not filling out their booklet.

Well I'm not filling out their damn form. They can pound sand. And KMA.

All they'll get from me is how many people live in the house, and if need be a check for $100.

I refused during the last census. They finally sent someone around who only asked how many people lived in the house, and then left.

4. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I'm with Brian. Jake

5. gold40

gold40 Member

While I surely share your sentiments on privacy, I don't wish to actually "break the law."

Does anyone know of a printed or online legal reference on what census information we are legally required to provide?

gold40

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Doesn't the Thirteenth Amendment to the constitution state that I am exempt from "involuntary servitude"? What law says I'm required to do the census bureaus job? Wayne

7. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I simply fill out my forms and send them in.

I have nothing to hide or brag about. Also I do not want to call attention to my family or be on a special "government list" that has to be vetted every time a high level "muckety-muck" comes to town.

I respect those who think otherwise but this is my philosophy.

Ed Ward

8. locdoc

locdoc Member

Click above. Interesting insight. May answer some ?'s

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

9. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

I know people hate to be confused by facts, as in some cases the facts run contrary to what we would prefer. However, by going to the US Census Bureau website you can find a lot of information about the census, including about your obligation to answer the questions.

The information below is a cut/paste from the FAQ section on that website. There is much more information available on the site http://www.census.gov

To be clear, this is not an endorsement of these rules or any sort of directive to follow them, I'm just posting them in response to the original posters question.

Scott

Do I have to respond to the American Community Survey / Puerto Rico Community Survey?

Answer
    Yes. Respondents are required to answer all questions on the American Community Survey (ACS) to the best of their ability. Response to this and other Census surveys is required by law (Section 221 of Title 13, Chapter 7, United States Code). This chapter also contains information regarding offenses and possible penalties. According to Section 221, persons who do not respond shall be fined not more than $100. Title 18 U.S.C. Section 3571 and Section 3559, in effect amends Title 13 U.S.C. Section 221 by changing the fine for anyone over 18 years old who refuses or willfully neglects to complete the questionnaire or answer questions posed by census takers from a fine of not more than $100 to not more than $5,000. More information.

Your answers are very important because they represent the answers of many other similar households in your community. The data that you and others provide in response to this survey are required to manage or evaluate federal and state government programs. If you submit an incomplete form or provide data that are unclear, we may contact you by phone or in person to obtain or clarify the missing information.

The ACS is part of the Decennial Census Program. It is a survey that is sent to a small percentage of our population on a rotating basis. These data previously were collected only in census years in conjunction with the decennial census. Since the ACS is conducted every year, rather than once every ten years, it will provide more current data throughout the decade. The Census Bureau may use the information it collects only for statistical purposes. Title 13 requires the Census Bureau to keep all information about you, and all other respondents, strictly confidential. Any Census Bureau employee who violates these provisions is subject to a fine up to $250,000, a prison sentence up to five years, or both.

Do I have to respond to the 2010 Census?

Answer
    Yes, your participation in the 2010 Census is vital and required by law-- Title 13 of the United States Code requires your response. Title 13 also requires that the Census Bureau keep respondents’ answers confidential and use them only for tabulations that do not reveal any personal data about individuals or households. By being counted, you help ensure that your community receives its fair share of political representation and government funding. The census form will only take about 10 minutes to complete.

Question
    Do I have to respond to the 2010 Census and the American Community Survey?

Answer
    Yes. Your participation in both is vital and required by law. Data about how our communities are changing are crucial to many planning decisions that affect you – such as neighborhood improvements, emergency preparedness, transportation, senior services and much more.

10. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

I plan to fill out the ten basic questions. I don't care to give out my personal information but I remain thankful for information provided by families in the 1800's and 1900's. I have learned much about my ancestors from this information. For instance, house number, street, who was living in the house, their relationship to the Head, age, marital status, year of marriage or how many years married, how many children are still living, occupation, State of birth for each person listed as well as their mother and father. Even whether they owned or were renting their home or farm.

To some this may not be very important, but to a person working on their family tree, it is extremely important. One of my ancestors were no longer listed in the following census and I assumed he may have died. Years later, I located him on a census in West Virginia, far away from his family in New York. The census told me he was blind and making brooms at the school for the blind. By the following census he had moved to South Carolina, married and was teaching at a School for the Blind.

I found his obituary and have exchanged information with his ancestors. I would never have known what happened to him if it had not been for the census.

As stated, I'm not enthusiastic about giving out my information but I will or at least some of it.

Kenny Ray Estes

11. 88oliver

88oliver Member

I am sure glad they sent me a letter yesterday to tell me to expect a census form in a week or so .

12. locdoc

locdoc Member

Here come da judge..........click above.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

13. ercowles

ercowles Member

http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/interactive-form.php

14. RFGA2

RFGA2 Member

I was surprised that at the bottom of my form it wanted to know if I was going to the Grand American in Sparta and if I was in favor of reloads or new shells. I refuse to answer that and the shot size I would be using; 71/2s or 8s. I told them it was none of their business.

Bob Gibson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.