1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Census 2010

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by geneleroy, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

I realize the dollar amount is insignificant when compared to the over-all scheme of things in Washington, but I just received a letter from the Census Bureau informing me that they would soon be sending me a Census Form to fill out and return. Now the numbers I'm using are picked just as an example, but if the population of the U.S is estimated at 300 million the Bureau may have sent as many as 100 million of these notices. At $0.42(est)each the postage alone would be $42 million, then another $42 million to mail the actual forms and assuming they have a postage free return envelope, that's another $42 million. Now I realize that $126 million is pocket change to our Congress persons, but I, my children, grandchildren and great grandchildren could live out the rest of our days quite comfortable on $126 million dollars in seed money!

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I wonder why it's necessary to send out a letter saying they're going to send you a letter?

Eric

3. pdq

pdq Member

How else are they going to resolve the debate now occurring over 20 - 30 threats on TS.com regarding reloads at the Grand?

Pete

4. nomoloscofoso

nomoloscofoso Member

Did you ever wonder why you pay all those taxes but the government is still broke?
    I guess it’s too easy to spend money when it’s not yours. Here’s an example.
    Yesterday I received a letter from the Census Bureau just to tell me they will be mailing me a census form
    Isn’t that like sending all your friends and relatives a letter telling them you will be sending them a Christmas card?
    There are approximately 115 million homes in the United States. Figure postage, paper and envelopes cost about 45 cents each
    and those unnecessary letters cost 51.7 million dollars. I can’t even guess the payroll cost involved in this.

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

geneleroy, I got the same letter and had the same thoughts as you did.

What a waste!

And government thinks they can do things better........yeah, right!

Hauxfan!

6. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

I have the same complant with the NRA. Every week I get some mail from them. Yes I am a member and have been for the past 20 years, but why do I get all this junk mail. My membership is due every Nov. the 20th of Jan. I got a notice that my dues are due. I checked and sure enough there paid until Nov. got another notice in Feb. and another this month, please renew. Am I the only one that gets this stuff or are there others. Bern

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

What really amazes me is they spend 50 million more than is needed for a damn Census form. Yet they can't understand why the majority of Americans don't want their damn health care.

If they spend 50 million on the Census to tell us that they are going to send the form and another 50 million to send it. How much will they pi** against the wall in the insurance business???????

Bob Lawless

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Come on guys, let's be fair, they mailed them bulk rate. HMB

9. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

In 6 f'in languages no less,,,,6,,,,damn I thought this was still America,,,,

10. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

One of the languages is in hyroglifics.

11. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

Just as I thought, I got my Census form in the mail yesterday! And there is a postage free return envelope as expected. They say only about 75% of the forms will be returned, so the 'foot' canvasser's will need to contact the other 25% if they can find them!(More expense)The only redeeming factor on my end was they sent me the 'short' form! Basically name, age, BD and the color of your skin!(no gun questions--lol)

12. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

It was explained on Fox that for each reminder sent out the Govt. saves millions. The reason for this is that people don't send the questionaires back. For each letter that goes out a stipulated numer of people that would not send it back do send it.Thus less hiring of census takers.
    This method is a lot cheaper than hiring census takers to go out into neighborhoods and get the information. Bulge.

13. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

I thought they already trained and paid people for the job?

14. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

Bulge, if the way they handled it saved money, it's the first thing that Washington has ever done to save money!! LOL geneleroy

15. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

It's Patronage, pure and simple. It's just another way to buy votes and steal tax dollars with their cronies....... You make a lot of new friends when you pay $42 million for $20 million worth of work....... Especially when 4 or 5 million will go right back into the DNC...........

Kip

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.