1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cellphones on the line

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Kolarmaxx, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kolarmaxx

Kolarmaxx TS Member

Anybody else tired of hearing a cell phone go off on the line right before you shoot? Tired of waiting for a squad member to get off the phone before you can shoot? Should the ATA institute a ban on cell phones on the line during registered shoots??? Enough already.

2. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Common Sense and respect for others should prevail, but, alas, it seems to never take priority...I do not like them even in the staging area, nothing like getting down and dirty, face on the stock, and just before you ask for the bird....RIIIIIINNNNNNNGGGGGG, or even worse those cute little bits of music!!...

3. tomk2

tomk2 Member

No exceptions?

4. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

Cute little story along these lines :

Last June -- at the Ohio State Shoot, a guy I know was on the line ; the squad was getting ready for their "let's see one target" ; no shots had been fired yet...........

........a cell phone starts ringing.

He shouts down the line, "Who's f--kin' phone is that" ?

Yep. You guessed it. It was HIS !!

5. NU2Shooting1027

NU2Shooting1027 TS Member

I am new to this sport and out of common courtesy my phone stays in my shooting bag on VIBRATE! At the Carney ATA shoot here in MD this past weekend had a guy that had his phone on his hip and walking from trap #3 to #4 it started ringing and it pissed the hell outta the guys that were still shooting on trap #4.

Allan

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Kolarmaxx you wanted to know if the ATA should pass a rule that bans cell phones on the line.

If it get to a point that a shooter causes any one to be bothered by. "Anybody else tired of hearing a cell phone go off on the line right before you shoot? Tired of waiting for a squad member to get off the phone before you can shoot?" I believe it would be covered under the disqualification rule where it say "disrupts the harmony of the shoot.

In my opinion(and it is only my opinion)if this shooter is causing undo noise or making others wait while he/she talks on the phone then I feel they qualify as a disruption under the currant rule. So to answer your question I don't believe that the ATA needs to make a rule to handle what is already covered by existing rules.

Bob Lawless

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Better yet, grab it outta his ahand and toss it up in t5he air while the other 3 squad members get to shoot at it!

Bet that would end cell phones on the line!

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Since I usually start on post one, if we have a new shooter that has not shot with our squad before, I will ask him if he has a cell phone, and if he does, to make sure it is turned off.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

9. T H Wallace

T H Wallace Member

Some of us HAVE to have the phone on and HAVE to answer when it is ringing..NO EXCEPTIONS! Let me put it to you this way, If my phone rings, its usually work, and if I do not respond to that call, there is a serious life safety issue. Yep, I maintain a Public Safety Communications System,which is part of the 911 system, you know that number you dial for an emergency...
    Now, If the call is a BS call, thats is a different story. But I leave my personal phone in the bag.

10. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

Perhaps, when one serves as a squad leader, the call for ready could be changed to "Squad ready with phones off or on vibrate?". It's a small thing that, if done consistently by most, will get the point across that phones don't belong on the trap line.

11. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

That seems a bit harsh, Juno. The fact is that there are some shooters who do have to have a cell phone on at all times and answer it. Luckily, I'm not one of them.

I also recognize that there are things that can be done to minimize interruptions. I shot with a doctor a couple weeks ago who was on call. He entrusted his phone to a friend who was on a later squad while he was on the line in case it rang/vibrated.

One in TH's position could also explain to squad mates up front about his job and the cell phone requirement. I can't believe that any shooter, given the courtesy of being forewarned, would have a cow if TH's phone went off with an emergency while on the line.

12. M-16

M-16 TS Member

Put it on vibrate I to am on call but I don't go into a meeting or church with the ringer on. excusse your self and go answer it if it's a emergency. Not your wife or girl friend when are you coming home?

13. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

If you HAD to answer your cell phone, you'd never be on my squad. Prebably a good idea to shoot all by yourself on your own squad.

If you MUST answer the phone, how's your love life?

Mixing business with pleasure...

Upon returning from Japan; Tokyo and Osaga, Americans' cell phone etiquette really sucks. There, the courtesy is so prevalent, it is a delight to see.

They do NOT use them on the trains, or in ANY public area, except walking downt the sidewalks. The kids and adults ALL respect others presence.

14. Ray Brasser

Ray Brasser Member

From the April 2004 ATA Executive Committee Minutes...

CELL PHONES - USAGE DURING AN ATA SANCTIONED EVENT - ATA Official Rules, Section XII, DISCIPLINARY ACTION, DISQUALIFICATION AND REINSTATEMENT, Section B (Disqualification), 1a. “If in the opinion of management or the Executive Committee the shooter disrupts the harmony of the shoot ....” The Executive Committee addressed the continuing problem of Cell Phone (including all communicative devices) usage (on the line) during sanctioned ATA events. Southern Zone Vice President Kenneth P. Duncan advised that offenders must be warned that they are disrupting the harmony of the shoot and that management and the Executive Committee must be authorized to correct the situation under the ATA Official Rules. Subsequent to review and discussion and upon the motion of Southern Zone Vice President Kenneth P. Duncan with second of Southwestern Zone Vice President Dr. Thomas P. Arvas and following the President's call of the question with no further response, it was unanimously ( RESOLVED That Cell Phone (including all other communicative devices) shall be banned from usage on the firing line during ATA sanctioned events. FURTHER RESOLVED That first time offender(s) shall receive a written admonishment from Shoot Management or an ATA Official acting on behalf of the Executive Committee. Subsequent thereto, repeat offender(s) shall be subject to disqualification at the discretion of Shoot Management or by an ATA Official acting on behalf of the Executive Committee. BE IT NOTED FOR THE RECORD That Secretary G. Mike Seitz is hereby directed to enter this Rule Interpretation in the next recompilation (published edit) of the ATA Advisory Opinions and Policy Statements and that this Rule Interpretation shall be effective immediately upon the publication of this Minute Record on the ATA Web site.

15. bear2

bear2 TS Member

(Some of us HAVE to have the phone on and HAVE to answer when it is ringing..NO EXCEPTIONS!) Quote
    What did they do BEFORE they had cell phones..?send a runner to inform you?
    Cell phones are not wanted on trap ,golf,or any other sport where total concentration is required.If you can`t turn it off at least turn it to vibrate,AND leave the line to talk.Why should one inconsiderate person ,spoil 4 other guys round?I have a phone and would never bring it ,on the line.I must not be that important.
    Barry

16. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Common sense? I don't think there is any of that left in this country.

A couple of months ago I was in line at a funeral home to pay my respect to the family of the departed. A guy in line behind me cell phone rang, the guy didn't turn the phone off or excuse himself, he took the damn call!!! He started yapping on his phone in the funeral home.

17. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Barry: Are you suggesting one's cell phone be put on vibrate and if they get a call to leave the line and have the line wait until he/she is done talking?

18. BustClays

BustClays Member

Any doof who brings a cell phone on the line (AND IT RINGS)gets only two choices, (1) It will be the next target that everyone shoots at simultaneously, (2) The squad will personally stick it up his A$$. If he declines both, he's gone for the day. Come back when he'S ready to use his head.

bustclays

19. acre44

acre44 Member

There should be a rule change that NO PHONES are permitted on the line and all phones NEAR the bench be turned to vibe, NO EXCEPTIONS. If you think you are that important that you cannot turn it off then you can have your fees refunded. My phone stays in the car. I do not even bother to carry it in the bag. It is TOTAL CONCENTRATION when I am shooting, there is nothing that important that cannot wait for you to get through 100. What the he11 did people do before cell phones????????

Not to long ago I was shooting practice and the guy next to me takes a friggin cell phone call holding up the rest of us. Me and a friend walked off the line. The remaining 2 were quite taken aback but they finished up. Then me and my friend proceeded to the line and shot the remaining targets. I NEVER will shoot with this maggot again.

Toad

20. tomk2

tomk2 Member

Hmmm. No Exceptions???!! Now who is being inconsiderate?

To answer your question, in the days before cell phones there were BEEPERS. In fact, Beepers coexist with cell phones today, but the cell phone is replacing beepers as time goes by.

To answer the next logical question, in the days before beepers, the person stayed at home, or at work, and did not shoot. Now go ahead and gripe about the decline in shooter numbers with your next breath. This technology allows some to patronize their local club on days when otherwise they could not.

As it happens, I have extensive experience with these circumstances. I can not tell you how often the vibrate function on phones and beepers does not get your attention when you are geared up for shooting. I have found that I need both the beeper and the cell phone on maximum vibrate and maximum ring to be certain that I am notified promptly. And do you know what? Not a damn person on the line gripes, because they are considerate and curteous. To return the curtesy, I bow out of the squad when I have to talk instead of calling back after I finish the round.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

reasons why not to use cell phones when meeting with cashiers