1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cellar mold in bags of shot ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bruce Em, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

OK It got very humid and the mold bloomed on my bags of shot in the cellar. A real punch in the nose. The dehumidifier wasnt working right so got that fixed.
    Took out 2 1/2 gallons water from small cellar in 1 day.

Now to the shot. These bags were reeking. Sprayed them lightly with Chlorox Clean up. Hopefully that does it.

What do you folks do about it?

No, not gonna send it to you to take care of :)

thanks !

2. porky

porky TS Member

Bruce,
    You're not going to eat it. So dry out what you need to shoot now and load with it. It's okay. The remaining bags should now be kept in a dry area. As long as the cloth hasn't rotted, the mold shouldn't be a problem. Maybe the garage would be a better place because of the air circulation.Anyway, just be careful in case you have oxidation. If you have the white glazing on the outside of the shot, it would be best if you loaded in a well ventilated area or if you can rig it, have a shop vacumn hooked up to vacumn off any powder when you pour the shot or drop the shot in the shells.

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Someone was just asking for a use for the newer plastic woven shot bags.....looks like you found a use!! I am sure you can get some donors....or pour it out into coffee cans or small plastic buckets.

4. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Smaller fabric softener jusgs are excelllent for shot. Rinse well and pop out the spout to fill and replace the spout. Don't use the really large ones they are too heavy to lift up to fill the bottles. Bill

5. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Get a screen type sifter and just rinse in it the sink and let it dry. If you wash it too much the graffite will be gone also. I have one I keep on my loading bench just to sift out powder from shot for the occasional spill.

6. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Thanks guys.

The shot itself is just fine, no oxidation etc. Some of it came from another owners musty cellar and my celler was humid as well. The mold is on the cloth bags only.

The smell is now gone or reduced significantly so the light spritz of bleach cleaner probably did the trick.

Maybe others have similar solutions to this problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.