1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cell tower experts

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by high 2, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. high 2

high 2 Member

Looking for some input from anyone with knowledge of cell towers. My wife found a house for sale that she's in love with. The problem I have with it is there's a 150'-200' high cell tower within a 100' of the home. Is there any reason to be concerned about it being so close? Larry

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I have two friends that have cell towers on their property, they haven't had any problems with them over the last 10-15 yrs, but they also get a pretty healthy rental check every month

3. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

You should get really good cell phone reception.

Just watch out for all those radio signals going thru your body day and night 24/7/365:)

4. high 2

high 2 Member

If it falls north I hope I'm not in the house when it does. Just didn't know if there were any concerns about getting microwaved or something. Don't think you will have to worry about lightning hitting the house. I had 5 bars of cell phone reception while I was there. Larry

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    RF radiation is always a concern. There have been studies over the years suggesting a links between power lines, radio towers, cell towers, etc., and cancer. The thing is, in most of the cases cited there are other very plausible reasons for cancer, like the victim smoked, etc.

The main point is that people in the industry or in the military who work with this kind of radiation on a daily basis are not dropping like flies.

My concern would be with RF interference of equipment. I know when cell towers first came out we were having a lot of problem with our telecommunications equipment because of third harmonic interference. But that was quite a while ago and the electronics used in cell towers has substantially changed (analog to digital).

The biggest issue is that having a cell tower that close will result in lower property value. I hope you are taking full advantage of that when buying, because when it comes time to sell, someone else will take full advantage of that against you.

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I read about a guy that lived close to one and he claimed he could receive radio signals through the fillings in his teath. He also said that his toaster did some really weird stuff if you would walk past at a certain angle. But, who knows.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Tron, if he'd just use THIS he wouldn't have a problem.

8. high 2

high 2 Member

I won't start wanting a cat will I? That's a no go deal breaker for sure ;>)
    Larry

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Tron,

I saw an older interview with Lucille Ball. She claimed she could pick up radio signals in her fillings.

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

We have one on our property at the Melba GC. When it gets windy they move a lot and make quite a bit of noise. Yes, the checks are nice

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Any of you guys remember "Jim Brown the puller," one of this forum's initial posters? The gun club he was a big part of, the Paradise (PA) Sportsmen's Association, was covering its expenses but there wasn't a lot left over every month. Then CEL phones became popular and a company asked about putting a tower on the club's property as it includes some of the highest ground in the area. Suddenly the club's financial worries were history!

I drove into the club grounds a month or so ago for the first time in at least five years. A lot of improvements had been made.

Ed

12. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

The testimonial page on Brian's website is a hoot!

13. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Next month 35 years in the industry. If you own it and its not close to your home its great. In the case stated here expect lower property value and with regard to RF I am extremely careful. There is a common meter to check those. Eventually in the next decade or so those towers will become a dinosaur for the most part.

14. Boxer's1

Boxer's1 TS Member

I am a cellular technician and work under cell towers everyday, as far as RF exposure is concerned you have probably got allot less exposure being so close to the tower with the way the antenna's are if they have panel antennas on the top of them most of the RF is actually going to be shooting over the top of you and, Keep in mind that the towers are built not to serve directly below them but out away from them.. I have used the RF monitors below the towers and the only time I have had one alert with to much exposure is when sweeping coax lines and not shutting the system down while doing it... Do you know if it is a guide tower? I have had tower crews fall guided towers when they fall the tower it actually basically crumples and falls within about 30ft radius.. If I were in your shoes and my wife loved the house and it would keep me out of HOT WATER with her, I would go for it.. LOL the towers make great lighting rods also... And I would be more worried have a High Voltage power line running through my yard over a cell tower any day..

15. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Depending on where you are located in the U.S. and icing conditions, sometimes towers can build up ice and then shed it when the temperature goes up. I worked at a TV station with a 700'+ tower and some of the ice coming down had enough energy to dent a car or take out a windshield. It did not happen very often but when it did, you did not want to hang around the parking lot. If there was wind it could carry the ice away from the tower a bit.

16. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

I too worm on cell sites, have been since 1995. A problem you may find that if your house is real close, you may actually find you have poorer reception as the angle of fhe antennas may skip over your property. Be sure the rental deed for the tower is on with the property you are buying, there have been instances where the property sells, but the original owners keeps the rental contract and tower property under their name. As far as a danger from radiation for the Radio Frequency goes, at the heighth of that tower you have no worries, even if their is HF, UHF, or VHF antennas on it. The frequencies in the US combined with the low transmitter power have never shown to be a problem in hundreds of studies, and noone has ever successfully argued any damages in acourt of law.
    Larry

17. high 2

high 2 Member

The tower isn't on the property, but close enough that it had cast a shadow on the drive way while we were looking at it. It's a beautiful place in a great area except for the tower. We made an offer this evening that was for sure a low ball price. We will see I guess. Thanks for the info. Larry

18. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

A good lightning arrestor.

GB
    DLS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.