1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cell Phones

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by avery53, Aug 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avery53

avery53 Member

I have a question for anyone wanting to reply about cellphones?
    Do you carry one every day, or even own one?
    I am retired, and have never owned one. Don't want one either.
    When I am out of the house, I don't want to be bothered. Call me at home and leave a message.
    Wife says I need one in case of emergencies, I spend a lot of time in the woods. If it's your time to go, is there a better place to be.
    People survived for thousands of years without one of the darn things, I figure I can too.
    Why do people think they have to be in constant contact with each other?
    Walk through any store, if they are not talking, they have it in their hand for fast response.
    I just don't get it, maybe it's just me, or are there others out there like me? lol
    Little rant over

Thanks Steve

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

For a minute I thought this posting was from Steve "Senior Smoke".

Eric

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

99% of the billions and billions of dollars spent on the damn things are because people are BORED and need to talk to someone, or be on the internet, for absolutly no reason. They are useless. Whenever I call someone they usually do not answer, or are to busy to answer. Then when they call back I am busy with something else and do not want to be bothered. Now, look at the aggravation they cause us that do not want to deal with a person on a phone in front of them, either driving down the road, or in line at the checkout line, etc.. Makes me want to push their a#@ out of the way or grab it out of their hands and smash it on the floor. Inconsiderate, that is what society has become in this tech age. Sould have made them so expensive that only the privledged and rich could afford them, like in the beginning. Hope I left no doubt about what I think of them. Texting is even worse. Jon

4. likemybrownings

likemybrownings Active Member

Steve,
    I have a cell phone to keep in touch for my business. BUT on friday at 5:00 the calls are screened very well! My kids come up as my kids, and I answer. but if I don't recognize the number monday will still come.
    just a fyi,

dave

5. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

Steve---As we all get a little long in the tooth its a great thing to have

I got one not only for me, but my wife of 47 years has a few problems

and I would just die if she could not reach me in an emergency.

If used as a tool and not for B S its a good thing to have

Jim Park

6. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

I carry one when I am go out for a walk with the dog by myself......... you never know when you need some help. I can tell you this I don't have one on me when I out shooting........ I leave it in the truck. My wife & kids knows better not to be calling when I am shooting.

7. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Given the fact that PDA phones are used for far more than their telephone function one shouldn't assume that people looking at their phones in a store or are awaiting a call. They might be looking at a text message, an email or any other of dozens of things. I keep my shopping lists on my phone, so if you see me looking at it in a store it's because I'm looking at my list or scanning a bar code to compare prices for an item I'm considering purchasing. I use my phone regularly but rarely make or receive phone calls.

People survived thousands of years without cars too, but who wants to ride a hay burner everywhere? Who wants to cook with a fire? Who wants to wash clothes by hand? Who wants to live without electricity? Who wants to shoot trap with black powder shells? Technology paranoia seems really strange to me.

8. TC

TC TS Member

Steve, I carry a cell phone with me at all times. I might not make a single call in a day or two and I never answer a call I do not recognize. My family can get ahold of me anytime and I can get ahold of them at any time from anyplace.

If something happens to me when I am out in the woods I can get help if needed.

I will often carry it in my hand when I have the ringer turned off so that I can feel it vibrate and not disturb others around me if I am waiting for an important call.

Technology is great when used appropriately. It is a tool not a toy! Tony

9. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I carry one every day and it is on 24/7. I use it in my part time business as they need to call me to come and work when I am not at home to answer the phone there. Also, if you have car trouble, or other problems, you have a phone to make a call to get help. Times change and so should you.

Now, I am talking about a regular cell phone, if you do not need all the bells and whistles. I still use a raz3, with text blocked. Ray

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

While your hunting spot may be a great place for you to take your last breath in your mind, your family may not be so thrilled with the idea of you just never coming home while they franticlly try and figure out where you are and why you have not come home yet. I honestly think you owe it to them to have even a limited use trac phone for emergencies. I take mine hunting but is put on silent mode. I don't make calls nor accept them while out hunting but i do monitor it for emergency calls from the wife or kids or other family. We have codes so i know when its a 911 type call and will answer it immediately even if the new State record Whitetail was in front of me. I would hate myself if i was out enjoying a day in the bow stand and something terrible happened at home. How would i feel if i didn't even find out about it until i got home which at times could be 6-8 hours later? I love my hunting but the love for my family trumps it without even a close contest. The "they didn't have them back then and we made out ok" excuse just doesn't make sense. If my 93 year old grandmother has one for emergencies you could too.

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

There is no reason for you not to have one in todays world!!! Even if its just for emergencies. You owe it to your wife and family if not yourself. You will like one if your car breaks down in the middle of nowwhere tomorrow!!! Not to mention the fact that there are almost no pay phones around anymore. 80 percent of them are gone around here. You'd be hard pressed to find one if you could not drive to one. Just toss one if the glove box with a car charger and your good to go. Break-em all. Jeff

12. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Have AAA. Nice to have cell phone to call them when broke down...

You can also enable GPS if need be...

Most young adults don't have a hard line telephone. They just have a cell phone.

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Time and technology moves on. Everyone use to ride horses to and fro, but today, drive cars in most instances. The most common first question on a cell is "What are you doing?" Cell phones are simply a convenience or a method of control. Take your pick.

14. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Some people just have to be drug, kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

I guess it's okay if you don't want to use 21st century technology. It just makes it easier for those of us who do.

I felt the same way as you a few years back. But with my wife's sickness and all, I got one and it was a God send at times.

Different strokes for different folks.

Your decision.

Hauxfan!

15. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Buy your own paper to avoid the "hot under the collar" syndrome.

Eric

16. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I really, really like this 21st century technology....fortunately my children and grandkids can tutor me in the practical applications of these new fandangled thingee mabobs...

Just remember...he who hesitates is lost!!

Curt

17. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I got my first cell in 1985, it was a Nokia Mobira--weighed a ton--cost $2300.00 & a $1.00/min. used it for business only--it was 3 watts of analog only.--A cell phone without a local tower available is like having a parachute that won't happen. Its a valuable tool. You don't need an active phone to call 911. Any old phone will work. Keep it in your car or on your person.

Phil Berkowitz

18. avery53

avery53 Member

A lot of good points were made in this thread. Probably the best being for the wifes peace of mind, and mine, in case of emergency.
    Being a product of 40's and 50's, I just miss the simpler times.
    Just a few years ago, I had to give up my dial phone to hook up to the internet. They said I was one of the last ones in the area with a dial phone.

Some people just have to be drug, kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

That's me all day long. Maybe by getting a cellphone, I can at least get to the late 20th century. lol

Thanks Steve

PS---I still don't have to like it

19. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I have one and have had one for years, my first one was a Motorola car phone 4800.00 20 years ago, great tool, but:

You run it, don't let it run you.

I have a cell phone, email address (2 of them), and an answering machine at home and on cell, that is plenty for me, screw the rest of it.

20. willing

willing Member

I remember in the old days we use to laugh at those people driving along and you could see them talking to themselves, also walking down the street jabbering away.
    The only difference today is they have this little electronic thing.
    The only thing that bothers me is when you got near someone talking on a phone you got a dirty look, now they seem to want you to hear what they are saying, in restaurants, waiting rooms even movies.
    Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.