1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CELL PHONES HELP

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by KEYBEAR, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

First I don,t need a Cell Phone my wife thinks I need one ?? My wife got a phone (ATA) and got two phones hers and mine . I do like having a phone in the car but now my problem . I think I must have a cheap phone (Samsung) I can not hear this dam thing . I can hear other people talking on there phones so it,s not just all me . I can,t hear it ring half the time or the person calling me . I get two words out of three maybe . Does anyone know of a phone that will work with the ATA simm card (just a phone) that has more volume ??

I have the hearing of the average trap shooter and need help .

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Most cell phones have a volume adjustment. Check your owner's manual for instuctions.

3. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Are your referring to AT&T rather than ATA?

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Yes AT&T sorry . And yes the volume is as high as it goes . I can hear both people in my car talking to people on the phones just fine but can,t hear mine .

5. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Try a newer generation Bluetooth ear piece, you can even talk in the wind.

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Plantronics makes a battery powered voice amplifier for cell phones. It's about $30.However, You have to use it with an ear bud or other earpiece of some type. Other than that you might just need a different phone. I gave up on all the fancy I-phone types because it's too hard to hear with them. I have LG flip phone and I can hear pretty well with it.

It seems that people have trouble talking loud enough nowadays. Probably from eating too much fried food, or maybe it's caused by global warming.

7. kriegazzi

kriegazzi TS Member

Maybe you ought to invest in a hearing aid instead of another new gun.

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

ALF-99 I will make a suggestion to you as I have the same problem especially with hearing the phone ring when in the clip on my hip.

Go to you local AT&T phone store and explain the situation to them they are pretty good about working with their customers. They will come up with something that will work. They did for me.

Bob Lawless

9. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

I am alittle biased, but if AT&T won't help you, go to a T-MOBILE store...The company is ALOT more customer friendly, (and employee too!)..Let them know your hearing concerns, and my money is on a favorable experience....

LarryB
    T-Mobile
    Field Operations Technician
    San Diego, CA

10. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

And I guess you aren't biased at all are you Larry? LOL Somehow I doubt that a T-Mobile store would do much for your ATT phone, but that's just a guess.

11. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Thanks Bob you are right . But you know I hear most phones ring just not mine . I don,t have an AT&T store close to me (45 miles) and have been looking at stuff on e-bay . Thought maybe someone had a model of phone that was better .

12. ivanhoe

ALF-99 in that case I would contact them there are phone numbers and contact information at the web address above and see what they can do for you they mat be willing to swap the phone that you now for one that may help.

You said you hear most phones ring but not yours that is because the direction of the other phone is usually directed at you and yours is usually directed away from you.

One phone that I had if I was ever going to hear it ring. I had to wear a shirt with a pocket in it and make sure the phone was in the pocket or no hear. The one I have now rings and vibrates( I will make no suggestions on that)in noisy environments I put in a pocket somewhere and can feel it ring.

Well I tried to help any way.

Bob Lawless

13. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

I'm not being patronizing but...

Most cell phones have the speaker in the back of the phone. Do you perhaps have your finger or a phone cover over the speaker opening while you're using your phone?

Carol Lister

14. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Carol I have a very cheap flip phone and no cover it just has no volume . I would like to buy a phone with lots of volume but need an idea what phone that is . Right now I,m looking on e-bay at Motorola Razr but no idea if it,s better .

15. ivanhoe

Carol Lister correct I have a Motorola Razor the speaker in in the rear. I have a belt clip for this phone. The phone mounts in the clip backward for two reasons one it protects the LED screens in the front of the phone. Two because the speaker is in the back and by it locking in backward it allows the speaker to face out so the ringer can be heard.

By people with normal hearing I however do not have normal hearing. In fact a fence post hears better than I do....LOL

Bob Lawless

16. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

ALF-99 You and your wife have a 30 day time period from the time you sign your aggrement to decide if your phone is right for you. I just renewed my 2 year contract with AT&T and I got a Nokia E71X smartphone with WI-Fi 2 weeks ago and it works very well.

P.S. I have the same problem you do.

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Have you checked to see if your ear plugs have been removed?

Seriously, A wired or wireless (bluetooth) headset can help a lot. Some phones are set up for multimedia and have better speakers and more volume. Someone already mentioned the Plantronics amplifier. They sometimes work for the "hearing challenged". Unfortunately, the phones I have used don't work with AT&T and are now discontinued. They were made by Motorola. I'd also recommend having your hearing tested by a competent audiologist. Just remember to keep saying NO, when they try to sell you hearing aids for five grand. Get a copy of the test results in graph form. You can shop around for hearings aids if you decide to go that route. Some phones are hearing aid compatible and some don't work well with them at all. Remember to ask that question if it might make a difference for you.

18. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

TOOLMAKER Really I,m looking for info on a phone that has alot of volume if anyone knows .

Quack Shot I don,t need a hearing aid and don,t need a hearing test . I have the same problem as 90% of the older trap shooters on this site . It,s not going to get better but untill then I need aphone with alot of volume .

19. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Alf-99 like I mentioned earlier, if your within the 30 day purchase period take it back to a AT&T store or where your wife got it and exchange it for something that suits you. If you don't have this option you can do some research on other phones, then buy one on Ebay and just swap your sim card.

20. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Take it back. I did and they replaced it no questions asked. Just told them I couldn't hear the stupid thing ring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.