1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cell Phones and the Trap Line

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Catching Chrome, Aug 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Alright, this is a pretty interesting topic because the other night we ran into a interesting situation. While shooting at our summer league a guy on post 2 had his cell phone ring during our shoot. Fine sometimes you forget and have it in your pocket, I can understand. Well he takes it out and fumbles with it and puts in back in his pocket. Well my buddy next to him calls for his bird and as soon as he does the guys phone rings again and my buddy missed his bird. Well the guy continues to let his phone ring. Another guy shot with it ringing and then it got to me. I took my shell out of the gun and turned to him and asked him if he could either turn his phone off (it was still ringing), put it on silent or step away from the line so we could shoot. The guy responded that he didn't now how to turn his phone off. Anyway we were all pretty disgusted. Anyway about 30 seconds later during shooting his phone goes off again, this time right in the middle of the shoot, he answers the phone talks for about 20 seconds and then says he has to go because he is shooting. My personal feeling is this guy should have been tossed off the line. Any thoughts?

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If a cell phone ringing ruins your day ... time to find another sport!

As long as he doesn't have an extended conversation ... just ignore it.

3. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Apparently nobody thought to complain to shoot management so they could take care of it. Too bad because situations like this can be rectified i.a.w. the rule book but only by getting shoot management involved. Complaining here accomplishes nothing.

4. Twister7795

Twister7795 TS Member

Hell I have had a conversation while shooting, if you cant take a little distraction how would you ever hunt?

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

If you can't put your Freak'n phone away long enough to shoot a round of trap, you have absolutely no buisness being on the trap line. That's just stupid to try and justify it. You should have kindly showed him how to shut his phone off with the heal of your shoe.

6. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Did it ruin my day? No, do I think it is wrong yes. It is called being courteous to your other shooters.

7. zaob1

zaob1 Member

What ever happened to common courtesy? Throw his cell phone and shoot it. I can understand one mistake, but to continue is just not courtious to the other shooters, distraction or not. If you don't like my 2 cents too bad. I would have walked off the line myself and filed a complaint. Let it happen to someone who says no problem and let them miss a bird............then see what they say.

Rick

8. 6chuter

6chuter Member

Didn't know how to turn it off?? 1oz of # 8's works every time!!

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

The trap line isn't the only place these idiots should leave their cell phones somewhere or have them turned off. I was in the line at the grocery store when some bimbo answered her cell phone. I talked back like it was me she was talking to. She got mad and the clerk started to laugh but she kept talking.

10. michshooter

michshooter TS Member

If I remember correctly, the ATA rules state that if a persons cell phone causes another shooter to miss a target, the shooter can shoot over. If a persons cell phone causes him to miss a target, it is lost.

11. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

It's called disrupting the harmony of the squad plain and simple. It seems our whole country is made up of neurotics, people who can't stay away from texting and wireless converstions, if it rings anywhere anytime they answer. These people don't care if they're driving (they rather die than miss a call) in restauruant movie theater or on the trapline. Bottom line its rude and disrespectful behavior......... If you're so brain dead you don't know how silence your phone, you sure as hell shouldn't be shooting a gun or be anywhere near one.

Surfer

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

damn Michshooter, I've searched the rule book and just can't find that clause. Please give us where you found it.

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

BigM don't ever interrupt a man in the middle of a good story. I couldn't find that rule either though. Maybe it's wishful thinking. 8)

14. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I am amazed that there are some who think this is ok and that it shouldn't bother someone. The first time ok but a second or hevean forbid a third is not excusible. I would have kindly asked him either to excuse himself or put his phone in his vehicle.

15. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

One time in Tucson I forgot and took my phone to the line. Dam if I didn't get a call. Phone came off holder and darn near made to parking area. Didn't want to hit a car. Self emposed punishment for being inconsiderate!

16. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

I take my phone with me to the line all the time because it has a built in iPod and I use it to listen to music. But it has headphones plugged into it and if it rings I'll be the only one to hear it. I wouldn't even consider answering it on the line, not only because of the rude factor but I'm shooting and don't want to talk to anybody. Big difference though, I also know how to run it. If you don't know how to operate the phone then don't bring it into a situation like that until you do. Obviously things like this shouldn't happen even at practice and certainly not at a registered shoot.

17. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I have absolutely no control over my shooting environment. If I find it intolerable, I'll leave the line and shoot another day. I can't educate every a$$hole in the world, but I can avoid most of them.

18. dls guide

dls guide Member

The trap line is no place to have a cell phone. If you think that it is normal to talk on a cell phone while shooting trap, then you need to find another sport. That wouldn't fly in Montana. Cell phones while shooting really piss me off.

19. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

If some of you re-read the post, the incident described was during league shooting, not an ATA shoot.
    That being said, it is rude and inconsiderate of anyone to do that, especially if it keeps ringing.
    I have taken mine to the line by mistake and fortunately it didn't ring. I was upset with myself when I realized my thoughtlessness.

Tim

20. JJMD

JJMD TS Member

I am a Doctor in a small town and am on call 50% of the time, I have to have a cellphone and beeper with me when on call and return calls in a "timely manner" per hospital regs. That being said I know how to silence both and, especially during a registered shoot, have them that way.
    Have I had to leave the line and go take care of an emergency, yes, but I do not TALK on the phone on the line, ever!
    Johnny Johnston, MD, FAAP
    Keokuk, IA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
phone trap line

telephone trap line

trap line cellphone software
trap line for cell phones
trap line on cell phone
trap lines for texting