1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cell Phone suggestions.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 686beretta, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

My current contract is up in about 3 weeks. I am planning on switching to either Verizon or T-mobil. I am also probably getting rid of the land line.
    I would like suggestions on which phone I should go with, I think I would like an Android but I'm not for sure. I think I would also like the ability to go online as well. If you have any questions please let me know. I welcome all comments.

2. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Not a "Smart" phone but just a cheap phone, the LG Cosmos. The best use for this phone is to be launched as the first target in a trap machine. It is a useless piece of dung. I got one at the recommendation of a daughter. NEVER AGAIN. I get very few calls but if it actually had much use, I would have already replaced it.

Key backlight will not go out, battery life is for crap, it goes off into a world of its own. Just yesterday it decided to cycle through calling my wife's phone, telling me to say a number, showing some assorted screen that usually made no sense, then back to calling my wife and repeating the full cycle. This continued going on. I could not even get it to clear or even power off. I finally had to pull the battery to force the thing to shut off. In the past it has decided, on its own, to change ring tones for some callers. but that seems to have ended, The water sensing tab has shown it to have been dropped in the water even though it has never been in any water anywhere anytime.

Overall i would give the Cosmos a rating of MINUS FIVE on a scale of 0 (bad) to 5 (excellent). It gives a whole new meaning to the word BAD when used to describe a cell phone!

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I got a Samsung Galaxy and absolutely love it. Can downstream videos, internet access is very fast, can store hundreds of numbers, can speak text messages which helps if you have fat thumbs. Wife has the Iphone. She likes it as well. I got mine in an upgrade as well. This is a retail phone, so check out the insurance.

4. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

in a couple weeks you can get an Apple I phone with a Verizon plan....

5. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I had a Hero Android that was impossible to use outside in the sunlight. The bright sun would "wash out" the screen so badly that you could not read it. I wound up going back to my old phone. All that glitters is not gold. Make sure if you get a new phone, that you get some kind of trial period to make sure it is going to work for you. You don't want to get stuck with something that you don't want.

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

iPhone nothing else. It does everything you could ever want.

Tb

7. josh b

josh b TS Member

look at boost mobile, 50 dollars a month unlimited everything. if you pay your bill on time for 6 months in a row your bill goes to 35 dollars, I've been very happy with them.

8. jbifulco

jbifulco Member

Frank C,

I have heard that before. How did you come by the information that Verizon was coming out with an I Phone? I can only hope it is true.

Joe

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Cell phones work better from a hand set than a Pat Trap.

HM

10. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I think I'll stay with my basic cell phone from Consumer Cellular. 250 anytime minutes a month for $20 and no contract.

Eric

11. shelly

shelly TS Member

If you like dropped calls, the iPhone is what you need. I stopped using the 3Gs because I don't like to redial 10 times during every conversation. Got a Samsung Galaxy (Android) and like it much better. Heck, I can even change my own battery, unlike the iPhone. There's a reason Android phones are taking over the market.

I'm sure there are plenty of other good Android phones on the market, but if you want a PDA, the Androids are head and shoulders above the iPhones, IMHO. Most who sing the praises of iPhones have never had another PDA so don't have anything to compare the Apple junk against. Itunes also sucks.

12. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

There are two questions every cell phone buyer must answer. Which carrier? Smart phone or regular?

Verizon seems to have the best carrier reputation, nation wide. < I use it and am waiting for the Apple g3.>

Smart phone will do much more than regular. But they are bigger and more expensive. More complicated to use.

Smart phones are not for everybody. Certainly not for most of the aging population.

However, my guess is that near most of the TS.com people will have smart phones. Most of the U.S. trap shooters will not. Not because they can't afford it. It is more than they need. Just too complicated and they love to bitch about anything new.

13. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Verizon Iphone announcement Tuesday; Feb 3 delivery date.

dave

14. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Smart phones are great-I've had an HTC
    Incredible with Verizon since April-but don't be so quick to give up your land line. No matter who you carrier is, you will have missed and dropped calls, and places where there is poor or no reception.

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

All I want is a cell phone. Don't need no camera or internet device. Don't text much, nor do I need to surf the net on a screen I can't see. I have a Netbook if I need to get on the net and an old (5+ Years) Canon SD450 that has taken well over 5000 decent pictures and video. The separate camera does better than any Cell Phone camera I've seen so far. I'm not so vain that I need the camera to point both ways. My Netbook has a Video Cam built in with a microphone for video chats, can store a ton on it's upgraded 500G drive. Runs quick enough with Win 7 and 2Gig of memory. Can burn DVDs with it's external drive. I can watch Netflix movies streamed from the net. Battery life has been over 8 hours on a charge with normal usage. Cost less than $300 WITH the upgrades. (Refurb) Between the Camera, Netbook, and Cell phone, my cost was less than an ITampon. I can run real software, use a real operating system, take real pictures, and get a new phone for free every year or two. And I can even take a picture with my phone and laugh at how poor it is. I also have a separate GPS that works well enough to get me close to where I wanted to be. I don't spend a ton of money on "apps" in an "app" store for things I don't really need or want. I can take care of my own online security and use a VPN that I have set up just for me. Some of the "phone" operating systems are not that secure. It's just a matter of time until there are a ton of exploits for the more complex phones.

My requirements for a phone are, bluetooth with voice commands, decent sized screen, bright screen you can see in the daylight, decent battery life, good reception, and simplicity of use. Coverage and carrier MUST be decent in the areas I travel and be reasonably priced. I'm NOT stuck with a carrier that is tied to an expensive paper weight that I need to have custom pants pockets made to carry it in.

Is it a pain in the "A" to carry three devices? Not really, since I don't surf the net, text, or take pictures much while driving. If any one of my devices becomes obsolete or stops working, I can replace it with whatever I want to.

My theory is that the more you pay for a phone, the sooner you will step on it, drop it in a lake, or otherwise do some irreparable harm to it that isn't covered unless you buy the "all hazard" protection plan that costs more than the phone if you keep it for two years. I have found that most flip phones develop a split personality eventually. I like big buttons I can read and push with my oversized fingers. A small text pad is useless for me.

Am I stuck in the dark ages of technology? Not at all. I just don't need to have everything in one device until they can perfect it so it works as well as reasonable separate devices do today AND keep the size, weight, cost, and battery life reasonable.

16. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Quack...We're in the same boat.

I have an old 5 year plus Kyocera that does nothing but ring.

I keep it for that reason and it's large enough I can find it in my coat.

No flippers for me. Good luck finding just a phone.

Regards.....Gerald

17. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Smart phones are great-I've had an HTC
    Incredible with Verizon since April-but don't be so quick to give up your land line. No matter who you carrier is, you will have missed and dropped calls, and places where there is poor or no reception.

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

All I want is a cell phone. Don't need no camera or internet device. Don't text much, nor do I need to surf the net on a screen I can't see. I have a Netbook if I need to get on the net and an old (5+ Years) Canon SD450 that has taken well over 5000 decent pictures and video. The separate camera does better than any Cell Phone camera I've seen so far. I'm not so vain that I need the camera to point both ways. My Netbook has a Video Cam built in with a microphone for video chats, can store a ton on it's upgraded 500G drive. Runs quick enough with Win 7 and 2Gig of memory. Can burn DVDs with it's external drive. I can watch Netflix movies streamed from the net. Battery life has been over 8 hours on a charge with normal usage. Cost less than $300 WITH the upgrades. (Refurb) Between the Camera, Netbook, and Cell phone, my cost was less than an ITampon. I can run real software, use a real operating system, take real pictures, and get a new phone for free every year or two. And I can even take a picture with my phone and laugh at how poor it is. I also have a separate GPS that works well enough to get me close to where I wanted to be. I don't spend a ton of money on "apps" in an "app" store for things I don't really need or want. I can take care of my own online security and use a VPN that I have set up just for me. Some of the "phone" operating systems are not that secure. It's just a matter of time until there are a ton of exploits for the more complex phones.

My requirements for a phone are, bluetooth with voice commands, decent sized screen, bright screen you can see in the daylight, decent battery life, good reception, and simplicity of use. Coverage and carrier MUST be decent in the areas I travel and be reasonably priced. I'm NOT stuck with a carrier that is tied to an expensive paper weight that I need to have custom pants pockets made to carry it in.

Is it a pain in the "A" to carry three devices? Not really, since I don't surf the net, text, or take pictures much while driving. If any one of my devices becomes obsolete or stops working, I can replace it with whatever I want to.

My theory is that the more you pay for a phone, the sooner you will step on it, drop it in a lake, or otherwise do some irreparable harm to it that isn't covered unless you buy the "all hazard" protection plan that costs more than the phone if you keep it for two years. I have found that most flip phones develop a split personality eventually. I like big buttons I can read and push with my oversized fingers. A small text pad is useless for me.

Am I stuck in the dark ages of technology? Not at all. I just don't need to have everything in one device until they can perfect it so it works as well as reasonable separate devices do today AND keep the size, weight, cost, and battery life reasonable.

19. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Quack...We're in the same boat.

I have an old 5 year plus Kyocera that does nothing but ring.

I keep it for that reason and it's large enough I can find it in my coat.

No flippers for me. Good luck finding just a phone.

Regards.....Gerald

20. shelly

shelly TS Member

Sure, a dedicated camera would be great but not if you don't have it with you.

Sure, a netbook is better for surfing but only if you have it with you and it won't fit in your pocket.

A PDA won't necessarily replace a computer or camera, but it sure is handy when you can carry it in your pocket.

To each his own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.