1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cell Phone Signal Booster?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kenf, Apr 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenf

kenf Active Member

Does anyone on here have experience with these? Is something a do-it-yourselfer can install or leave it to a professional?

2. browning.12gauge

browning.12gauge Member

If you're talking about one for your home, there's several on the market that you can install. A couple of things you'll need to do:
    1)is make sure you get the right one for your carrier
    2)Some carriers (AT&T for example) require you use one of their licensed products

Ken J

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Know a guy that has the problem with low reception in his house, T mobile gave him a booster and it was no help.

4. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

My work phone is a black berry and it sucks. Outdated phone and I won't cry when they finally go out of business... My work phone service is Sprint and they suck with absolutely terrible coverage in Indiana unless in a big city or along an interstate corridor...

So with me living in the wild (approximately 30 miles from downtown Indy), I have zero signal in my house and one bar if I walk outside into my housing addition street.

Finally, I was provided an AIRAVE booster, after arguing with Sprint customer support I finally was given the info on what ports to open on my netgear 3700 router so that the AIRAVE is behind my wireless router and not itself acting as a wireless router for the computer and a sprint cell phone booster.

So to answer part of your question, if you are not using a wireless router in your home, a SPRINT AIRAVE will work as one. If you are using a wireless router, depending on the model and how old it is, the AIRAVE could be a bottle neck in your internet speed or may not effect it at all. You did not state what phone service you are using... Regardless, if you are familiar with setting up a wireless router, as in securing it, changing the broadcast name or disabling the broadcast name, etc... the you will have absolutely zero issues setting up an AIRAVE yourself. I doubt the other boosters on the market would be any more difficult.

I do not know about any other phone boosters other than the AIRAVE.

I have been using the AIRAVE for about 8 months with no issue... my comcast cable internet and netgear allow for awesome internet speeds with both downloading and uploading.

The booster gives me almost full signal strength anywhere in the house. No dropped calls with the Sprint phone now... I think twice the AIRAVE stopped working and it was no more than doing a hard reset by pulling the power cable for 30 seconds and then plugging back in.

Still sad that my Verizon works fine without a booster...

So I don't know what the cost is, however, the Sprint AIRAVE works fine for me in my house.

Let us know what you do and how it turns out.

5. jim creighton

jim creighton Member

Living in Upper Mi no cell signal is a everyday accurance-have a hunting camp 26 miles from town & receive no signal at all-did a lot of reserch & purchased a Wilson 801212 cell phone booster-type that in to ebay & you get prices @250.00 best money you will ever spend-have 1 at camp & 1 in my truck -at camp when turned on i have full bars-travling you rarely don't have full bars-just returned from driving to Arizona for a few weeks & worked wonderfull.Have at least 7-8 other friends that have purchased said unit.Good Luck Jim C

6. tudurgs

tudurgs Member

Use one in my cabin in northern Michigan. In conjunction with an air card, it allows me much faster computer performance than a dialup connection. The local cell phone distributor loaned me a unit to try out. See if you can't get a local to do the same for you. I'm pleased with the performance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.