1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cell phone interfaces

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by joe kuhn, Feb 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I've always thought cell phone interfaces were poorly done. I'm considering programming my own, since I'm a programmer and you just never know where it might lead.

Here are my initial thoughts:

The default screen should be my phone book. It's a cell phone, so why wouldn't I want my phone book right there when I open it up or pull it out of my pocket? I use it to call people or send them text messages or answer both.

Just to show you how screwed up the interface is on my old Xcingular LG, it's phone book is called an 'Address Book' which it is not. There's no way to put an address in my phone's Address Book.

After I've selected the person I want to call or text, two special buttons should be assigned the task of either calling or opening a text message window. Done.

If I'm receiving a call/text message from someone in my phone book, the person's name should be selected and there should be some indicator of whether it's a text or a call. Then an 'Answer' button either answers the call or opens the text message.

Notice I'm ignoring the new data featues of phones for simplicity sake. All the other Settings screens, etc. should take second fiddle to the Phone Book.

Eh?

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Joe, some thoughts...

I like to see who is calling before I answer - so I like to open my phone then decide whether to answer or not. Took forever to find the buttons to hit to turn 'off' answer on open...

To send a text takes about ten button pushes - just to get to a screen that lets me start to write a text - why?? I don't like the auto word completion, so why is it so hard to find a way to turn it off?? Likewise when I want to change characters on the screen I have to jump through hoops to do so.

It seems the most likely taks are the hardest to perform.

I prefer a phone to be a phone - not a mini laptop, so I don't want the data plans and web surfing.

What about a phone-computer interface that lets ME decide what goes onto the phone - it could have all options that I can select or not select - then link to my 'empty' phone and program ONLY those things I want.

To change/modify/restore just hook phone to computer once again...

David D
    (Motorola Razor)

3. EE

EE Banned User Banned

You need to upgrade to a newer phone. All of mine (3) can be configured to do pretty much exactly as you described.

More re-inventing the wheel.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

EE--Thats what i was thinking. My IPhone will pretty well do all the above if i want it to. Time to get rid of the oold bag phone fellas. You'd be amazed at what they have on phones now. LOL

Matt

Does yours look like this??? Only Joking!!

grntitan_2009_2503202.jpg

5. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Matt, those were a very good phone.

6. grntitan

RickN---Actually they were and i still have three of them. I saw on TV that they were paying a couple $100 for them 5-10 years ago. The off-roaders in the desert would use them because they were capable of picking up signals that no other cell phone could reach other than the Satellite Phones. The program said the Cell Phone companies caught wind of it and changed their system so that they wouldn't work anymore. I think the short lived re-marketing of them died after that. Heck back when they came out you were the "Man" if you had one.

Matt

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

That Motorola Bag Phone was the cat's pajamas as far I am concerned - but only for between bucket seats. Then, some of the descriptions for ideas above sound a whole lot like my Jitterbug phone for us elders that need big letters and simplicity; opens to the phone book, tells me who's calling so I can decide yay or nay, not a mini lap top......

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Bag Phones were analog only and were measured in Watts, not MilliWatts like the new digitals. Made at a time when towers were few and far between. Same thing for the Moto-Bricks. Try to activate an Analog phone these days. They've all gone digital and low power.

9. joe kuhn

I'll be able to upgrade in April. Looking forward to it. Discovered a quick way to get to a text message screen - up arrow. Who'd a thunk it?

I'm skeptical about the newer phones. What I want most of the time is usually several layers deep, even on my kids' phones which are much newer. If you list out the steps you'll find you've got to work through somebody else's concept of what the interface should be.

I want my most used interface on top and I want it to work for outgoing/incoming, calling and texting. That's all, it isn't much, just a phone that's super easy to use so I can use it while I'm walking from station 5 to station 1. Hah!

"Holga, I'll have to call you back. I'm breaking a straight."

10. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Since your talking about cell phones, can someone tell me what this means. I have a Nokia phone and at&t provider. When I open my phone, on the screen next to the battery power indicator, is a "G" inside a square box. Sometimes the "G" has a red / (slash mark) across it. Nothing in the book that came with the phone mentions anything about the "G", and the kid at the mall store is, "Like dude, never saw that before, don't know what the "G" means dude". The slash over the "G" comes and goes. Thanks, F/S.

11. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Really kinda easy...."G" is for GSM (Global System for Mobile), European Standard)(Cingular/T-Mobile)..one of the original 2G technologies, therefore real slow in the data world, but VERY reiable in the voice world..works on 45 watts of power from the tower, so the towers could be 20-24 miles apart..."C" is for CDMA, the American verision technology (Qualcomm, San Diego, CA)(SPRINT/Verizon), the newest tecnologies were born from these original digital standards..AT&T started with AMPS (analog) and D-AMPS (Digital)..This is the main reason you could not use an AT&T/Cingular/T-Mobile phone for a Verizon/Sprint/Nextel network! Then or course the frequencies are different, 1800MHz for Europe and 1900 for USA...NOW, all of the companies are striving for 3g and 4g speeds for data, as the younger and higher paid generations are jumping into the markets....Larry B.

12. joe kuhn

Yeah, like wow man. The interfaces still need improvement.

Looked at my son's new Razor last night and it's alot of clicks away from being truely easy. There's a way to get to where I want to go but my high frequency desireables should be on top; like calling and texting people I know and answering same.

Did I mention we're paying more than ever for a service that is poorer quality than the land line we gave up for it?

13. capvan

capvan Active Member

Joe..it scares me when I hear about people giving up their land lines.

Land lines are regulated by the Public Service Board. They have to meet certain service standards to stay in business. I don't like regulation of industries, but this is a good thing.

Cell phones are NOT regulated in any way. They can operate any way they want to. The only thing "regulating" them is the market and what people will buy or not buy.

You might be saving a few bucks, but someday that cell phone won't work and you will have NO other way to get in touch with the outside world.

cap

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My land line is dependent on the cable service. If the power goes out I don't think I will have a phone.

HM

15. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Bag phone equivalents can be had by adding an amplifier. They work with any cell phone that has a auxillary antenna jack. They really work. I have used one for several years now.

http://www.cellantenna.com/index.php?id=4000

16. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Another thing to think about in getting rid of your hardline phone...when you lose power to your neighborhood, most likely the closest cell tower will lose power as well. If the owning compnay does not have an on location generator, the cell site will fail within 3-4 hours as the battery backup begins to fail. A hardline phone line at your home can continue to operate IF you have a rotory phone line the old "princess" phones. The telephone company sends its own power to the homelines via the telephone line to power the older style phones. They do not advertise this, but they should...I live in a notorious "Wild-Fire" prone area, and everyone in my neighborhood keep the home lines active and we all have rotory phones plugged into the line!..LarryB

17. shelly

shelly TS Member

Who needs an old fashoned land line. If you want another phone besides the cell, just sign up for VOIP if you have broadband. There are lots of them and most are cheap. MajicJack is just $20 per year for unlimited long distance within the country.

18. grntitan

shelly---VOIP nor Magic Jack neither one will do you one bit of good if you loose power. That was the point of the land line. As stated above, If you have an old rotory phone(i do) it can be used during a power outage. Without a land line your SOL if your power goes out because your modem will not work as well as your computer.

Matt

19. joe kuhn

Had anyone ever had their cell phone go down because the power at the tower was lost? (sheesh - power at the tower...) Has it ever happened?

20. grntitan

Joe---Well i believe it happend in NYC when they had the black out from the grid shutting down in 2003. It could have been the result of overloading the Celluar system though rather than the actual power outage. If i'm not mistaken, most communication systems have auotmatic backup generators.

Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.