1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ceddite Primers

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Rick in Ohio, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Hey guys I like to ask has anyone been having problems with there Ceddite primers now days?

Why I am asking is! I have been using Chddites for the last 6 years with out a problem and my last sleeve that I pickup I had all kind of problems with them not going off when the firing pin hit them. ITs not the gun, the gun is hitting the primers hard. I sent some pictures of the bad primers to Ceddite over the weekend but they haven't got back with me. I shot last night and had one more that didn't go off, so I plan to cut it a part this after noon and see whats up with that round. I may try and post some picture later on so you guys can maybe tell me what up with them. I have had about 3 dozen bad primers so far in this last sleeve.

2. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Please don't mess with the primers themselves. They are really dangerous if one should go off.

3. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Thanks birdogs !

I did go down to the reloading bench and take that round a part and took some pictures. The round last night didn't good off but the primer looks like it did but then it still has the red seal on it so the primer didn't go off. IT still had the 18.5 grs of clays still in it. Below are some pictures that I will be sending Ceddite this after noon.

rickinohio_2009_2704142.jpg

rickinohio_2009_2704143.jpg

rickinohio_2009_2704144.jpg

rickinohio_2009_2704145.jpg

rickinohio_2009_2704146.jpg

rickinohio_2009_2704147.jpg

rickinohio_2009_2704148.jpg

4. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Well APrice right now I not sure if the come from a Iranian.

I got them from AJ at the Cardinal Shooting Center at the OH state shoot.

5. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

Only use Cheddites. Never had a problem with them. Every manufacturer has bad batches from time to time. When it comes to rifle and pistol primers I only use Remington as I've had too many problems with CCI. CCIs are harder and I've had way too many failures to fire. Usually wind up double tapping them to get them to go.

Oh yeah this is about 209s. Probably a bad run, The Co. will probably make good on them.

6. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

I can see one or two bad primers but I found to many ....... I feel like when I go out on the line to shoot that I should carry two boxes out with me.

I have used there primers for 6 years with out a problem till now and I finding a lot of them.

Anyway I send the pictures that I took to Cheddite just a bit ago and we will have to see if they get back with me.

Sorry I for forgetting to ad the H to Cheddite on the subject when I started this topic.... I just seen it.

7. Harley Lekvold

Harley Lekvold TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rick Can you post the lot number? I have been using Cheddite primes for at least 15 years and have not had any problems.

8. avery53

avery53 Member

Never had problems with the Cheddite's, I too would like to know what lot # you have.

9. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

CX 2000 38/4/314

oo80.EXP.05.0020

I am not sure what number is the lot number but the numbers I posted are on the box. Did I post the right numbers that your looking for guys?

10. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

The sleeve of cheddites I am having problems with could be the new Obama primers ........ don't always work!

11. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

Rick, if there were Obummer primers, non of them would work. Rick, I am having the same problem with Rio primers. I bought 50M of them at one time about three years ago. Have shot around 45M of them. Last year I started having the same exact problem (maybe one in a hundred). Everyone of them that I cut open appeared as though they should have fired. Many of them were tried in various guns and they would not fire in any of my guns or various friends guns. To look at them, they seemed to be struck the same as the ones that fired. I think it might be a primer seating problem. Once in awhile you can get one seated to deep, even if it ever so slight. See you Monday

12. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

A thread posted the last day or so had a couple of these primers to go off in his loader before the priming station. BT100dc

13. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

BT100dc

I am not really sure the primers I am having problem with would go off in a press. If you look at the one picture I posted at the primer you will see that the primers don't have anything inside of it. They is no way it would go off even if you hit it with a hammer on you reloading bench.

Big Papa

I didn't know you was having problems with your primers I am sure happy I didn't go buy any Rio's.

Yes I will see you Monday morning. When I get in to town I have to drop my wife off at her mom & dads and I be right out after that.

14. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Try this: 1. Use another gun to fire primers that did not go off. 2. some times firing pins break and rotate to hit a primer and then rotate to not strike a primer hard enough. I have used Chedittes for years with out a problem. I will bet on a firing pin issue. Let us know what the problem is. Fred

15. Harley Lekvold

Harley Lekvold TS Supporters TS Supporters

I would guess the lot number is 38 4 314. I just looked at one of my boxes of primers and the lot number is 30 4 266. I have had these for quite awhile.

16. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

Rick, the Rio primers are great. They are a "hotter" primer like the Federal 209. I have shot around 45,000 of them and within the last year have one that occasionally will not go off. I know it is not the guns. I have had the problem in the K80, Alfermann and my Seitz. The alfermann boys took my gun appart at the grand last year. We looked at everything and found nothing requiring a change.

17. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

fssberson

I am sure its not the gun ..... if you look at the picture you can see that the firing pin hit the primer really hard. I just got back a short reply back from Cheddite this morning saying that they got my e-mail yesterday with the pictures and they will be getting back with me.

I may pickup a box of Rio's to try this next week big papa. They have to be a lot better than what I am using now. Right now I feel like I better take two boxes of shell out with me now to shoot 25 targets.

18. oz

oz Active Member

I tried cheddites when I could not get anything else. the price was MUCH better. I have used many sleeves (5000) of cheddites and I can't remember one ever failing.

19. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

OZ

I am like you I have never had a problem with them till now.

I most be the new Obama primers.......... you can't count on them to work.

Still waiting to here back from Cheddite.

20. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Rick: I saw the pictures... primers appear to be hit hard... BUT what would happen if another gun set off the primers in the picture?? You asked for help. The goal is to identify the problem by eliminating all possibilities. Find a primer/shell that would not go off... ask another shooter to try it in his gun.
    If it goes off it tells you it is your firing pin or spring. If it still doesn't work, cut the shell open and examine the primer. On the rare occassion I have had a spent primer not deprime from the shell, thus looking at a primer strike means nothing if the primer was already shot. Just trying to help you out by elimination. Or use several boxes of factory shells and see if there are primer strike problems. Finally, check out the primer seating... maybe to low or cupped. Regards: Fred