1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

???? Cecil Fredi ????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RunGunIPSC, Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

My brother-in-law & I both have bought wood from him & been very satisfied. He is easy to contact & work with. Tom

2. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Another piece of Cecil wood (I have shown this before). This is Marble figured English Walnut and I was looking for a darker piece of wood for an oil finish on a blued gun that will have gold inlay game scenes.

You asked how to deal with a wood vendor like Cecil, what help you will get, etc...my suggestion is to have developed some taste or sense of what you would like in a finished stock and the wood before engaging him. Do you like marble cake or are you looking for those wide and very dark longitudinal mineral figuring that seem to be the classic high end SxS type wood. Do you want fiddle back or feather figuring? What color are you looking for...cafe au Lait (honey or coffee and cream) with figuring or reddish..or dark brown...what do you want you gun to look like. What is the iron finished in...nickel, blued, gold inlay or engraved, french gray...what?

What kind of gun...you need to tell him..it affects length needed and hence price (larger consistently high grade is more expensive than smaller which as you can imagine is easier to find in a tree). Do you want offset comb, big MC drop, and big toe out...if so, you need a thicker blank which is again more difficult to find and cost more.

Do you want Claro, Black, or English Walnut?

What kind of finish are you putting on it...a piece of wood with a poly finish is going to look a lot different than say (at the other end of the spectrum) an Alkanet root tinted hand oil finish.

Take you time...google on the subject of gun stock blanks and look...look...look and think about what you want. If you can present this to Cecil along with a budgetary number (if cost is a factor), then you will most certainly find the wood you are dreaming of. If not, and you just tell him "English Exhibition" (exhibition being a most over used and ill defined term) then you will get a lot of pictures and have to still sort all of this out for yourself.

Cheers

<a href="http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/Baron23_photos/?action=view&current=DSCN5119.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/Baron23_photos/?action=view&current=DSCN5118.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

3. finger

finger TS Member

Jerry: I too have been very pleased in my dealings with Cecil. He will help you pick your wood by giving you many choices to choose from. The decision is ultimately yours of course. I suggest you engage your stock maker before you make a wood decision. The guy who is going to carve it knows more than you do about picking wood. Cecil will offer you choices. You and your stock maker need to make the final decision. FWIW I buy exhibition Maple from Cecil. bob finger

4. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've been to Cecil's several times while in Vegas. If you know what you want, Cecil is great to do business with and the selection is endless.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

He is a good guy and honest- just tell him what you want

Be willing to pay for it-- rather than gamble on a maybe

Regards from the great state of Iowa

Gene

6. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Jerry,

If you're going to be in Vegas for the SHOT Show, let me know. I'll be there all four days and would be happy to show you both full Tiger Stripe Myrtle and fantastic 2 piece Myrtle Burl blanks in person. Contact me at the email above and I'll send my cell number for contact. Definitely look at Cecil's inventory first, as I understand he's got a great selection and he is one of the most respected folks in the blank business. I'd be happy to be a point of comparison for quality and price and will have one of the country's best high-end custom stock makers with me on this trip.

Let me know if I can help.

Mike Mann ATA Life 07-34685

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cecil fredi email

cecil fredi gunstock blanks

cecil fredi las vegas big game

cecil fredi wood

stock blanks cecil fredi