1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CCW recommendations

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, May 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

Looking for your ideas for a CCW weapon. Something for everyday civilian carry. I want something that I'm also going to shoot quite a bit to get very familiar with the weapon. And I mean everyday, keys, wallet, gun...the morning drill.

I'm partial to 9mm but will look at just about anything.

So far, the new Ruger LCP is all I've been able to come up with.

Thanks...

Bruce

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

J-frame Smith.

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I also love my J-Frame S&W (.38 Chief's Special). Mine has a 3" barrel and is amazingly accurate.

But if you opt for this gun, be careful... +P ammo should be used for carry and home defense only. The gun will not stand up to long-term +P use. So look closely if you decide to buy used. Another reason to be careful is that, as ownership of S&W changed multiple times over the years, they have let some horrific blunders ship out the door -- cylinders which weren't properly heat-treated, cyliners that didn't fit properly, etc.

If you get a good one, which most of them are, the only minor downside IMO is that you've only a five round capacity. That's not a big deal to me, as I think it's rare that anyone outside of military or law enforcement needs more than five. Speed loaders and moon clips are readily available, but might be a hassle to carry around every day.

If you want a Semi-Auto, consider a Sig. They're some of the finest pistols available for the money if you don't mind a little extra weight. I also LOVE my glorious Browning High-Power, but I'm afraid that these an acquired taste, unappreciated by most younger shooters. Most folks think they're a bit heavy for daily carry. Me, I figure that if a chubby old Iraqi like Saddam could carry the weight, it can't be too difficult. LOL!

Finally, I read somewhere that they're making pistols out of plastic nowadays but I'm sure it was just a bad April fool's joke.

Good luck, Bruce.

-Gary

4. tp

tp TS Member

Glock 19. Compact. lightweight, concealable, 9mm. Some of the best Special Unit forces, as well as undercover personnel, swear by it.

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I carry a Smith J- frame also-but I use the 317 Airweight in 22 lr- the Aquila super max is rated @ 204 ft. lbs , with 8 shot capacity & a Crimson Trace I am totally confident it will do the job. (With any new Smith get an action job)

Phil Berkowitz

6. capvan

capvan Active Member

7. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

+1 for the Glock 19,,,,great fighting pistol,,,,don't forget that for ccw, a good belt is AS important as your holster!!!

A good website to visit is www.defensivecarry.com. Lots of good info and opinions.

8. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

XD9 sub compact. 13 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124g +p short barrel. I've been carrying one a while and don't feel it anymore.

Holster choice makes a difference as well.

Jerbear

9. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Another vote for a J-Frame S&W. Mine is a Model 38. Weighs 14 oz. and has no levers, safeties, mag release buttons to worry about in a stressful situation. The intuitive thing is to pull the trigger and that is all it takes to make a J-Frame work.

I carry an XD-Compact 45 ACP in my briefcase, but on my body the Mod 38 is just too comfortable to carry to worry with something larger that I might leave in the truck.

Rule # 1. Have a gun.

HBT

10. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Sarge, if your third paragraph is the way they do it in Ps, I'm sure glad I live in Texas.Don't worry about any of that stuff here.

11. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

If you go for the J frame, a new one will likely have the Uncle Mike's boot grips.

If you buy a used J frame (your best value) order a pair of the Uncle Mike's boot grips. This will give you some purchase for your fingers while adding the minimum bulk.

Make sure you specify round butt or square butt depending on your gun, you can tell by taking the existing grips off. Ithink the round butt may be a touch smaller.

Practice with 38's

Only put in .357's if so marked.

12. bambambam

bambambam Member

Kimber polymer 14 rounds of 45 or my Glock

13. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Another Smith J-frame vote. I use a 642 +P with Crimson Trace grips. Great carry pistol, you won't be sorry.

Cheers,

George

14. johnjohn91387

johnjohn91387 TS Member

Yet another vote for the J frame S&W. Specifically, the Model 60. Stainless .38 5 shot with round butt, fixed sights, and 5 shots.

Have the hammer "dehorned", and you are good to go.

Fits well in front pocket, or back pocket, of my jeans.

If you are going to wear something like Dockers, get the pleated version of those pants.

From personal experience, I will tell you that if you get one of the small hi cap semi auto guns that are suggested above, you will end up either leaving it at home, in the car, in the briefcase, etc. Anywhere except where you need it, and that is in your hand. You never need a gun until you need one, and then you need one really bad.

Why will you leave it behind? The hi cap guns are heavy, (G19 with 15 rnds of ammo???) because that many rounds of ammo is heavy, period. If you put up with carrying it, you will end up "adjusting it" in your pants, or in the holster, which is a dead give away that you are carrying something under your shirt that is uncomfortable.

You may think that you can "adjust it" without being noticed. Eventually, you will be doing that subconsciously, and that is the kiss of death.

I will tell you this one more time, and, yes, I have been there and done that; J frame Smith. Simple, fool proof, no levers to mess with, and it has worked well for generations of cops as both a back-up, AND an off duty gun.

You may want to write that down, so as not to forget.

John

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Another vote for the 2" J frame S&W. You will master the morning drill quickly and that increases the lilelyhood that the gun will be with you when you need it. They are actually kind of fun to shoot as well especially with mid range wadcutter ammo. My little J frame hasn't been used for anything serious but I have popped a few jack rabbits and a whole lot of pop cans with it, the gun just seems to be around when you want it.

16. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

1911, the 4 inch models are very nice. Any good manufacturer will do, Springfield, Colt, Para. I just prefer a .45 to any other caliber. Something about that comfort factor, kinda like shooting a 12 gauge instead of a .410.

by the way, the Springfields now come with a really nice Kydex holster, perfect for concealed carry.

17. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

I live in Wisconsin. It's so safe in my state that the government decided we don't need CCW. Sorry I can't give you a recommendation.

There was a case in Waukesha that is stirring the pot on open carry.

Joe

18. mt

mt Member

we really love our hk p7

19. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I would take a different route. If you are actually serious about daily all-weather carry, then I would go with one of the baby Beretta's in .25 ACP...like the model 21 or 950. Placed in a Desantis pocket holster...it will take up less space than your wallet.

Yea, everyone laughs, but no one I know is willing to take eight Hornaday 35 grain JHP stingers in the face.

Most importantly, the gun will ALWAYS be there when legal to carry.

I have had them all, and even the steel J-frame Smiths are too big for pocket carry. The titanium/scandium models are better, for say, breast pocket or coat pocket carry, but they won't do with shorts and a tee shirt on those 90 degree-plus days.

bluedsteel

20. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

John Malcom, I carry the G19 EVERY day. It may be a little heavier but I bought the right belt and holster to that I know it's there but don't have to "adjust" it anymore than someone adjusting their pants.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.