1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CCW question - Help me choose

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tumbleweed, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

Looking at small sub-compact semi-auto for CCW. Currently looking at Sig Sauer P238 (.380) or Sig P938 (9mm). Both are single stack around 1" thick and the 9mm version is slightly longer (about 0.5") but still quite small. Both are 6+1 capacity.

The .380 is slightly less on recoil but the 9mm is cheaper on ammo and packs a bigger punch. Not a lot of difference on price.

What would you choose?

Is there another model that you like better?

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

An M&P Shield, if you can find one.

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Ruger makes the LCP (380), Beretta the Nano (9 mm) and Kel-Tek makes a 32, a 380, and a 9mm.

The Sigs are great pistols, but are the most expensive of the lot, the Ruger and Beretta are roughly the same price while the Kel-Teks are the least expensive.

Depends on what you like and how it feels in the hand. These are not target pistols - they are close in defensive pistols.

You do get what you pay for so keep that in mind as you makes your decision.

4. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

If the 9 is small enough forget the .380, they are under powered to start with. Buy Corbon 115gr for your carry load and practice a bunch to get used to the recoil. Go to a reputable helping gun store that will let you handle all the models and get a reliable model that feels best in your hand. If you are lucky enough to get to shoot a few different ones obviously that would be the best route.

JMHO

CM

5. Kerz

Kerz Member

I'd echo CM's comments.
    Vic

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Sig 938, I recently bought one. Recoil isn't that bad really, the trigger needs some work (9 lbs) a good gunsmith should be able to get it down to something reasonable? So far have fired it perhaps less than 50 rounds and have experienced two function problems that I hope will go away when I get it broke-in. FWIW, I like the concept, 9mm power in a gun no bigger than a .380. It ain't a .45 but it's a lot more concealable.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Both those sigs mentioned in the original posts are good choices- the 9mm gives you more ammo choices but isnt as small

The 380 sits in a bluejeans pocket with a holster and the 9mm is pretty tough to squeeze in there and if you do just that little bit larger is very obvious

Shooting coach will probably post on here and has a lot of experience

Regards from Iowa

Gene

8. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

I chose the Kahr CM9 for pocket carry. 380 is smaller but the advantages of the 9mm outweigh the smaller size for me.

9. burtona

burtona Member

I want a small frame Smith & Wesson double action revolver. Far less likely to malfunction when you most need it.

10. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I used to be a supporter of nothing but a J -frame S&W revolver--a few months ago got a Springfield Arms XDS in 45 acp- its dead accurate & the trigger compared to a J frame wheel gun is a no brainer. Honestly this gun is the perfect CCW weapon.

Phil Berkowitz

11. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Equally as important in your decision making is, IMHO, how you are going to carry. I have used them all, and at this stage in my life...I use a fanny pack almost exclusively. That allows me to carry a larger gun and at my age, I just look like some other old fart with a fanny pack. If you are comfortable with a shoulder holster, you can still carry a fairly large gun, if it has to be a hip carry, you generally are forced to carry a smaller gun if you really want to "Hide" the gun.

I have always wanted a gun I could count on and fire accurately, with enough size to score a knock down and enough rounds to account for a nervous miss or three.

The why you want to carry plays into the decision. So, you see, it is not a single factor decision. Don't enter into it quickly or without consideration. Next, really...really think about when you would use it and what you will do, immediatley after killing someone...

JON

12. lboh

lboh Member

Went to look at a Sig 938 and they had a rohrbaugh in stock and it seems to be something pretty special.

A sub compact purpose built ccw 9mm. Smaller than the sig and less angles to get hung up on. I own sigs and love them but this one has me debating

13. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Kahr CW9. Quality American made gun that will match up to any of the above at a lot less cost. Very reliable, accurate, and easy to carry... Dan Thome (Trap2)

14. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Glock 27 with extended magazine grip. 40 cal. Excellent concealability & stopping power. Fred

15. oz

oz Active Member

I just bought a springfield armory XDS. .45 single stack very small comes with holster, magazine holster 2 mags check it our.

16. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

As a shooter you had better think of the back ground of the round. Meaning the 9mm just might go through the person and hurt someone. The 380 has a better chance of staying in the person. I have a Sig 230 380 and love it. I think the new model is a 232. Both are a good choice for a carry gun.

In my car on the open road I have either a Walther 9mm or a Walther 40S+W. Less people in the back ground.

17. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Also as I was told to do was to dress to the gun and not the gun dress to you when carrying.

18. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

The Beretta Nano is 9MM. Got one for the wife for Christmas, she's a lefty and the pistol is ambidextrous. Get what fits, is comfortable for you and also consider how you're going to carry.

Tim

19. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

As long as you buy a reputable brand name gun, and you know how to handle the gun, regardless of semi auto or revolver you are good. Get a reputable gun that feels good in your hands and that is the size you will carry in the manner in which you want to carry it. Many good choices out there...
    both in semi auto and revolver. I recommend handling as many as you can so you are comfortable with getting the one that fits and feels the best in your hands .

And of course educate yourself and train with it. The more you know the safer you are. Be safe!!!!

20. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

"Next, really...really think about when you would use it and what you will do, immediatley after killing someone... "

RUN! That is why a revolver is better,no brass left at the scene.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.