Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CCW Pro or Con?

5K views 50 replies 30 participants last post by  Jerbear 
#1 ·
I'm planning on going down and submitting my application for my CCW on Tuesday. My shooting buddies at the range today said not to; Obama's boys would have me targeted before long...the 'gun police' will know that I have guns! Is this a good idea? I'm in a 'shall issue' state. Is this 'gun confiscation' thing really the future for all of us?
Dick C.

#5 ·
Your armchair commando gun buddies told you that? Unless they have never bought from a dealer, ever, they've left a paperwork trail. Ditto for you.

If you feel your self-defense needs warrant a CCW, then get one. Self-defense is the consideration here, not what Obama wishes he could do.

#6 ·
Excercise your right. I have had my permit for two years. I am sure the government knows about most of our firearms for all the paperwork required to purchase these days. Most reasonable people also know that it is not our guns they need to worry about, as the person that follows the rules very seldom commits a crime. Neil

#8 ·
I think Ron Reagan had some of our 'shooting buddies' in mind when he made that comment about the folks who aren't stupid, it's just that so much of what they know isn't true. As has been said, we're already targeted as gun owners because we complied with the laws when we bought most of our guns, to say nothing of the fact that we hang out at gun clubs on Sundays.

#11 ·
Only problem I can see with no permit carry in Arizona is you will not be able to carry in any other state without the Arizona permit.

The above guys are absolutely right. You should get your permit. Unless someone has been on another planet lately, you will have to know that they want your handguns today, your rifle tomorrow and your trap gun next week. Gun control means ALL of them. Join the NRA today!

Sorry for the rant. This is just a subject I feel strongly about. Google "shotgun destruction in England" and watch the video. We can not let that happen in America!

Gun control is not about guns, it's about control.

Shoot safe, John

#12 ·
Another thing to consider, is just everyday transporting of firearms to the range......I can not count how many times I have put a handgun on the front seat of my vehicle and drove home...or a shotgun on the back seat. Most everyone has extra shells in his truck...Without a CC permit, that "could" cause a major headache in some states.

#16 ·
My wife and I took the 8 hour course in two four hour sessions last week. Have already jumped through all the hoops and the paperwork and fingerprints are off to the state.

The only thing that concerned me about the course was the number of people that didn't have a clue how their respective handgun worked and DIDN'T bring their own pistol/revolver to the class (learned this listening to conversations in the class). They rented .22lr pistols to shoot. Several had never fired a gun of any type and have no idea how recoil felt. My wife was the only one of four women who had a centerfire handgun and did not use a rimfire pistol. Many of the men, who had limited experience with handguns, also went the .22lr route. Yes they will get a carry permit if their background check is ok, but I believe they are poorly prepared to carry a handgun in public. I figure not many of them will be carrying a .22lr handgun.

I was proud of my wife who has had prior handgun shooting/safety courses put on by the local police department for women. She was the only woman to put all shots on target (actually within the 8/9/10 rings) and to be perfect on the hit/beam simulator. She hadn't picked up a handgun in 10 years. She out shot most of the men.

DoubleAuto

#17 ·
doubleauto; I agree there needs to be some proof of competance with a firearm, my state is 'shall-issue' and requires no classes, etc. I'm sure many people have the permits that maybe shouldn't have, but the state law doesn't require classes.
Dick C.

#18 ·
The residents of Arizona who want to carry concealed in other states that have a reciprosity agreement with Arizona will still have to have a current CCW in their possession ... I have read the proposed changes and they state that any citizen of the United States over the age of 21 can carry concealed within the borders of the State of Arizona ... Personally, I think that should be that any person over the age of 21 who has not been convicted of a Felony can carry legally so our Canadian friends would also be able to carry concealed ... I sure hope those Illegal Mexicans read that part, that is those that can read any way ... Illegal Border crossing is or should be a Felony to eliminate any more problems at least on paper ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

I sent that message to the State Representives and Gov. Brewers Office also ...

#19 ·
If you did any paper work on a gun in a gun show or gun shop you are a marked man. They know who has guns just not how many. Get you permit and get it soon. It would be far worst to be carrying and get caught then to have a permit. In other words you will loose you gun and get a record.

#21 ·
Google keeps ALL searches done on it's web site along with EVERY gmail ever sent. They have "bots" seeking designated words across all internet exchanges. To think you can remain isolated in this day and age, yet sit and write on a forum like this is uninformed.

Not to mention ATA shoots, NRA etc. - Federal gun transaction forms with State background checks. Buy a gun without the forms and face a Federal "vacation".

Get your CCW, take a class or two, and encourage others to be responsible gun owners. Try www.frontsight.com to see what's happening in the Country. PA has been experiencing growth in handgun shoots and activities in spite of the economy. Use common sense and keep it concealed - verbally as well as physically.

http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/

http://www.carryconcealed.net/legal

JT

#22 ·
Do whatever you have to do to get your CCW legally. I live in California and most counties here won't issue anything for any reason unless you happen to be so G. D. rich they are afraid you won't donate any money to their re-election. "THEY" already know who you are and where you live.

#26 ·
Ohio Judge tells citizens to arm themselves
All I can say is read it for yourself!!!

CLEVELAND - One judge's solution for citizens feeling less secure because of budget cuts in an Ohio county: Carry a gun.

Judge Alfred Mackey of Ashtabula County Common Pleas Court advised residents Friday to be vigilant and arm themselves because the number of deputies has been cut about in half because of a tight budget. He also urged neighbors to organize anti-crime block watch groups.

"They have to be law-abiding, and if they are not familiar with firearms they need to take a safety course so they are not a threat to their family and friends and themselves," Mackey said Friday.

Mackey, whose comments were first broadcast Thursday by WKYC-TV in Cleveland, was expressing concerns with budget cuts that have trimmed the sheriff's department from 112 to 49 deputies in the county, which is Ohio's largest by land area.

Asked by WKYC how people should respond to the cuts and limited patrols, he said, "Arm themselves. Be very careful and just be vigilant because we're going to have to look after each other."

Andrew Pollis, who teaches law at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, saw the original TV clip of Mackey and said it was clear the judge wasn't advocating vigilantism.

Still, Pollis said, snippets of the comments could be misunderstood "as a license, if you will, to engage in conduct which we as a society collectively would not want."

In Akron, Summit County Common Pleas Judge Patricia Cosgrove, president-elect of the Ohio Common Pleas Judges Association, said she was surprised by Mackey's suggestion.

"That's scary to me," she said. "I don't know what the situation in Ashtabula County is. I personally would never — that's a personal choice in terms of carrying a weapon."

With deputies assigned to transport prisoners and serve warrants, only one radio car is assigned to patrol the county of 720 square miles, excluding municipalities with police departments. The sheriff's patrol area covers most of the county, the judge said Friday.

Mackey said the response to his comments has been positive in the mostly rural county between Cleveland and Erie, Pa.

"People in this county are hunters," said Mackey, who grew up on a farm with rifles and still owns firearms. "People have familiarity with firearms."

Messages seeking comment on the judge's remarks were left for Sheriff William Johnson and county commissioners.

Johnson has threatened to sue the commissioners to have some of his department's funding restored.

The jail in the county of about 100,000 people has held as many as 140 prisoners, but the number has dipped to about 30 because of reductions in the guard staff. About 700 people are on a waiting list to serve time in the jail.

Ohio has had a concealed handgun law for five years, and from October to December the Ashtabula County sheriff issued 54 licenses. Twenty-eight licenses were renewed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even judges know now to tell citizens to carry.

Jerbear

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.