1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CCW gun choices

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by esoxhunter, Aug 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I am considering the purchase of a concealed carry gun. I am thinking about a Glock 26 or a 27. I also am thinking of going to a 9mm instead of the .40 caliber. Reason being is that with that small of a gun; the recoil would be too much with the .40 caliber. Any other recommendations as to what gun to consider and any comments would be appreciated. I also am looking for a used gun of this type. If you have one or know someone who wants to sell a gun that mirrors a gun of this type please let me know. (email address is above). Thanks..

2. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Grow some 'nads.

3. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

Kimber compact .45 ACP loaded with 185gr hollow points.

4. esoxhunter

Scooter: Before retirement I was a semi-auto trainer with the DOJ. I know, as I'm sure you don't, that recoil affects the performance of handgun useage. A concealed carry gun such as the Glock 26 or 27 will be adversely affected by excessive recoil. That being said my question remains; any other recommendations as to what other options I may have in the selection of a proper CCW handgun and the availability of a used handgun of this type would be appreciated. We have a "ton" of experienced people on this site. (You of course are not one of them). Take your inept sarcastic input and stick it where the "sun don't shine". What a fool...

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

esox, I've had good success with a Kahr P40. I'd assume that the Kahr 9mm's would be the same quality. I'm not a big Glock trigger guy..... jmho

6. esoxhunter

BigM: Thanks for the input. I haven't ruled out the .40 caliber yet. I still believe when a person considers the handguns that allow a person to carry comfortably, (which means they must be small in size), the heavier calibers such as the .45 carry too much recoil to allow a person to deliver more than one round accurately at the target. That being said if a person goes too small, (such as the .380) they do not have the capabilities of "taking care of business". I just may opt for the .40. In training I used the .40 Beretta Cougar and the Glock Model 22C .40 caliber. Both of these guns were more suitable for carrying on an officers duty belt. If I choose to carry; I want something with a much smaller frame. Thanks. Ed

7. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

I've been wanting to try out the Beretta PX4 Storm Sub compact in 9mm. I like the DA/SA with ambi-decocker. Nice feature for SA follow ups for defense or if you want to take it to the range for some SA target shooting. It has a 3" barrel and just over 6" overall. Looks like a great CCW. Link posted above.

http://www.berettausa.com/products/px4-storm-type-f-sub-compact/

A video with complete breakdown of the Storm including factory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmoNjqUVBNk&feature=related

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Ed

I would suggest the Glock G-23 if you want a small Forty. It is only slightly bigger than the G-27. It is extremely easy to shoot. I have no trouble running a plate rack at 25 yards with my G-23.

OTOH, if you are looking at the 9X19 G-26, recoil is simply not an issue. Even with +P+, it is VERY controllable.

The Glock may not be the best all around sidearm out there, but it is superbly suited for defensive chores by the Armed Professional AND Citizen.

I will say the the long slide models, 34, 35, 17L and 24, are superior shooters. Many PD's issue the G-35, a long slide target model in 40 cal.

9. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

The Glock 27 is my all-around favorite carry gun. The .40 S&W is very controllable and accurate in this package, IMO, particularly with bullets in the 135-155 grain range.

You have the option of the regular magazine for maximum concealibity, or adding the grip extender for more control and easier draw.

I usually use a Glock 23 mag with the A&G grip filler: 13+1 rounds of .40 S&W in a compact, lightweight package that fits my small hands better than a Glock 23.
    mtatom_2008_030350.jpg

10. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

What's wrong with the old standby, the S&W .38 snubbie? Hard to beat.

GneJ

11. philk

philk Member

And they don`t leave fingerprinted brass laying all over the place.

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with the revolver, but the OP asked about Glocks. I carried a revolver for decades, went to the Glock, do not miss the wheelgun.

Now my revolvers are loaners for classes.

13. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Glock 19, 26 or M&P 9c everyday depending on attire....

14. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

I have a Walther PPS in .40 and love it. Never has malfunctioned and is easily controlled. It snaps but not as bad as a lightweight .380. The overall dimensions are the same as a PPK so it will fit in my pocket if I need it to. Most of the time I carry it in an IWB holster. Tucks in nice and holds 6+1 rnds of .40. I can keep a 6" group at 25yds if I slow fire. It does take some getting used to the really narrow grip, but it carries well. More important is finding a comfortable holster that you will feel comfortable carrying. The more you like it the more you will carry it.

15. cpd544

cpd544 Member

I have carried a Kahr PM9 for years and had no issues with it regardless of what type of ammo I use.

16. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Para Carry 9 LDA - I recently examined one along with many of the aforementioned pistols while looking for something the wife can handle. It is a very impressive handgun.

Robert

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    esoxhunter, how are you going to carry the Glock?

The reason I ask is due to the type of trigger safety the Glock has. It is NOT a good design to carry loosely in a pocket. It needs to be in a proper holster specifically designed for a Glock, meaning the trigger guard and trigger need to be completely covered up.

18. esoxhunter

Thanks guys for all of your input. I will be carrying this gun in a holster some of the time and possibly in a jacket pocket when weather dictates wearing heavier clothing. I want to physically handle several of the guns you guys have recommended. I have somewhat large hands and I want to see how comfortable the grip is. I am kind of thinking of going to the .40 caliber. I was concentrating on the Glock line of guns; because my previous Glock, in my opinion, excelled over the Beretta. I really liked that gun. However,I am going to checkout the other brands that were mentioned. Thanks again for all of your valuable input. Ed

19. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have a S&W 4013tsw(early model no rail) it conceals well not to heavy and accurate enough at close range (3 yards) any shot longer than this I would be looking for a way out or cover. Yes the 40 is a bit snappy with use and practice it becomes a non issue for me. I prefer my 45 for less recoil but that thing ways a ton.

20. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Take a look at the M&P 9mm compact. The new LCP 9 is something to look at too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.