1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CCW FOR WIFE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by THALL, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THALL

THALL Member

Currently my wife has a S & W 38 spl +p airweight. She is not comfortable with the gun because of no safety. I have explained to her to leave an open slot in the revolver, however, no good. For her, she is still not comfortable shooting, she does not care for the recoil. She is a petite lady. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Tim Hall.

2. RAScott

RAScott Member

Walter pps is a nice carry, thin, you can get a couple of mags that extend the grip, it is lightweight, comes in 9mm. and 40. However if she is not comfortable carrying maybe more time at the range, would help.
    Bob S

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Explain to your wife that model gun comes with a built in safety. The gun can not fire unless the safety is disengaged. Only when the trigger is in its rear most position can the firing pin contact the primer.

As far as recoil goes you can load up some 125 grain bullets with 2.7 grains of bullseye and eliminate most of the recoil. HMB

4. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Kahr is now bringing out their small PM9 9mm with a slide mounted safety. Since it is double action only, works like the revolver, but would have a safety to give some assurance during carry for those who want that. The Kahr is both small, yet powerful enough. Might solve your wife's concern about carry with no safety. Being small and light, it will still recoil significantly, but no more (perhaps less) than a light weight .38 spcl.

Jim R

5. setter

setter Member

Change the grips so the recoil is more manageable, use lower recoil target ammo to practice, +P to carry. Have someone else explain to her the function of S&W as the last thing wanted is an empty chamber in a S&W revolver.

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Tim I also bought a 5 shot 38 airweight for my wife . I loaded some very light wadcutters and started her off at 10 feet . I made sure she had good ear plugs and was comfortable with the gun . She shot many-many rounds at targets in the 10 to 20 foot range . After she was hitting targets 99% of the time I loaded the gun with defense loads just to show her the difference .

She understands you only need to shoot at very close targets and that she will not notice the bigger loads when it,s time to shoot . A word to the wise never use handloads in a gun you are carrying for personal protection ever .

ALF

7. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Setter and I seem to be on the same frequency here. My wife is also petite (4'11"), and has a CCW. She decided on the Ruger LCR .38 +P. Left her with a female instructor and a box of my wadcutter 700fps reloads at local indoor range. She enjoyed that enough to sign up for an all-woman Handgun/CCW 101 if you will class this Sat. The thought of firing +P ammo in that revolver will not be considered for along time if ever. Trying to teach two daughters how to master a clutch really taught me a lesson. regards; Bill H.

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

A safety on a Kahr is just plain stupid.

If she is not comfortable with the gun you have a huge problem. I wonder if recoil is the real problem and the "safety" is the excuse. The only real safety on a gun is between HER ears. Until she understands that, you are likely wasting your time.

My gf is not very big and she can shoot my Kahr CW9 without trouble (DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER THEIR SMALL SIZED PM SERIES GUNS - if recoil is the issue). I handload a 125 gr lead bullet for range practice. It is much cheaper and recoils less for training. I load it with 124 gr +P Gold Dots for social needs.

Alf gave good advice. Handload your range ammo to keep recoil down; and stuff with good factory for carry use.

Don Verna

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I'd agree with Eddie. Who says she will be able to get the gun out of her purse or pocket before having to fire? She's got the right gun, you got to get her comfy with it.

10. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Another thought, If you decide to stay with the S&W, have an action job-makes aworld of difference in D/A--also think about a Crimson Trace--really helps in an adrenalin rush.

Phil Berkowitz

11. EE

EE Banned User Banned

I don't know, but I would venture a guess that there are fewer AD's with revolvers than any other type of gun, including autos WITH safeties. Anyone have any facts on this?

And as HM mentioned to, the Smith does have an internal hammer block. Your wife needs to understand she's about as safe as she can be carrying that 38. Or jsut carry a knife, or a club.

EE

12. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

I too purchased a 38 Sp Airlight for my wife because of her size and inability to operate the slide on a automatic. In addition a lasser grip came with the gun witch made aiming and shooting more fun for her. She has gone to class and applied for and received her CCW. The lack of a hammer allows easier access from a purse with out hanging up on something. Purchased solid lead for practice but 38p for her to carry on trips alone etc.. Also I always carry in my truck so in the event she were in need of protection while alone in the truck she can always use my Speed Six. Post-2

13. Beni

Beni Member

Be patient with her especially if she hasnt' been involved with guns or shooting. I started my wife out with a smith .38 also and many many rounds fired with that she graduated herself to .45's now. yes more than one. This all comes from being on the range practicing and one good correct lesson from a regional smallarms instructer for the coastguard.Have good hearing protection and load light to begin with. After awhile you can increase your loads slowly but dont tell her. Have fun on the range together and be safe Beni

14. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

The above site is by and for women that carry. Very good info. Your wife may find some info she needs.

Jerbear

15. Robb

Robb Member

We all know shotgun gunsmiths but who does action work on J frame Smiths?

16. whopper1

whopper1 Member

Be careful if you decide to go with a semi auto. My wife is a petite woman also
    however she is also a shooter. She shoots trap with a bt99 and she also shoots any handguns that I own including the Judge (410, 45 long colt). When we got to looking for semi auto handguns that may fit her what we found was that she could not rack the slide. She is far from weak but apparently not enough grip stregnth.

Dave

17. Harv Shell

Harv Shell Well-Known Member

Some good tips on this site about proper grip and hand placement, including the j-frame guns.

18. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

The only thing I could suggest would be to go to a S&W K Frame six shooter like a model 10 for instance. Still no Safety, but that`s the beautiful thing about a revolver. Simplicity!

Regards, Pete

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The 2" J frames are a handful but not a safety hazard in terms relative to carrying a gun. Now here is the thing, if you want to carry and feel comfortable with it, you have to pay some dues. One of the prices for admission is that you have to live with the gun and the fact that it is in your conscious thought at all times. Another fee is that you need to be competent with the gun and that isn't something that just happens ... it takes a lot more than a few hundred rounds of spraying down a paper target at some range.

Too much? That is just for starters, the third act involves something much more complex and is related to the willingness and restraint of using lethal force.

Cant't commit to that? - then don't carry because without that level of commitment the gun is not going to be something that will ensure a positive outcome in a crisis and may well tip the scales in the other direction.

20. KenC

KenC Member

Anyone who has a fanatical obsession for having a safety has not been properly trained, regardless of whether they hold a CCW Permit or not.

Unless a person practices diligently (& I really mean diligently! I'm talking 200 rounds a month, minimum.) drawing from concealment, dis-engaging the safety & firing live ammo at a silhouette, said safety will be more of a determent than not having one at all.

As other posters mentioned, most carry guns today have built in safeties which will prohibit firing unless the trigger is pulled. Same with semi-autos like all Glocks & some H&Ks.

Also, carrying w/an empty chamber under the hammer on today's modern revolvers is unnecessary.

When a situation occurs where you must draw your EDC, you are probably going to have to pull the trigger too; you don't need to make this stressful situation any more complicated by having to remember to take off the safety. In a stressful situation, your body resorts to the way it has been trained. Unless you practice every move you must make, over & over, you are gonna screw something up when you really can't afford to.

With the proper holster, or in the case of a lady, a purse designed specifically for concealed carry, a safety is not necessary.

I think too many people get their CCWs & just leave it at that, ignoring training & practice. They think "Well, now I'm gonna be safe." If you're gonna carry, you must also be proficient; otherwise, your living in a 'fool's paradise'.

And as for racking the slide, ANYONE, even the most petite woman, can rack ANY handgun slide, if shown how to do it the right way & practice.

I think it's a 'copout' when a man says that a woman should have a revolver. I've had classes where women, who have never even held a pistol, have, with the proper instruction, been able to operate & shoot a semi pistol as just well as any man with the same amount of training.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.