1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CCI Primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Browning Man, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

When reloading, which of the big three primers (Winchester, Federal, Remington) is the CCI closest to?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

CCI...........

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I loaded CCI209 when our supplier stopped stocking STS209, I then found data for my powder/wad/primer/hull choice and loaded them, Recently I bought a case of cheddites, nothing else around at the time. When time comes I will find data and load those.

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

CCI209 is a medium-strength primer, usually placed between Win (slightly hotter) and Rem (slightly cooler), but it is interchangeable.

The CCI-Magnum is an incandescent particle primer slightly cooler than the Fed209A, and is NOT interchangeable with the CCI209.

Bob

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I don't know if its Hotter or in between, but for 1 oz loads using Clays, Rem TGT-12 wADS, & Remington hulls to get 1180FPS, here are the powder drops with the respective primers: From the Hodgdon manual 2003

1)CCI 209 16.6 gr/9600psi

2)Win 209 17.6 gr/7900psi

3)Rem 209 17.9 gr/7400LUP

What does this tell you about the differences in the 3 primers?

Phil Berkowitz

6. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

i just bought some for the first time and mine say 209m whats the diff. , havnt shot them yet, good or bad?

7. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I loaded Fed. papers & Gold Medals years ago with CCI 209m primers with 1 oz of shot with great results.

I would rate them with a Fed.

The main reason I used them is that they fed better thru my 800B loader.

However, cost has put them much beyond the competition.

Regards....Gerald

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Why not just use the CCI load data and be done with it. Why try and compare? Thats why i answered your question with CCI cause thats what it compares to.----Matt

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

CCI 209 and CCI 209M are two very different primers. The 209M version is a very hot primer and will usually raise pressures dramatically. In any instance, use reliable data for these primers. They will not interchange with other primers, except possibly the CCI 109 with the CCI209. There is a LOT of data out there for these primers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.