1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CCI primer question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by roger stoddard, May 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger stoddard

roger stoddard TS Member

Just bought a case of CCI 209 primers and got a big surprise. Hadn't used any in years. These new primers had a sticker on them where they were shipped from Federal to CCI. Looking at the primers they certainly appear to be Federal primers. They have a rounded primer cup, like Federals, not the flat cup I remember. Has anyone else noticed this? Roger

2. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Yeppers !!! rounded primer cup and is recessed slightly. If you seat them too deep or have short firing pins you will have some misfires.. (well I did anyways)
    Years ago used CCI.... now use cheddites has the flat top like CCI use to have.

My 2 cents worth..

3. roger stoddard

roger stoddard TS Member

haven't had any trouble with the first 50 I shot, but they sure don't look as nice as the old CCI's I used back in the 1980's

4. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

A while back I took a tour of the primer facility in Lewiston Id. when it was still CCI. I was told all shotgun primer production was being done then at newly aquired Federal now all owned by ATK. He said the reason was so that production could be increased for mfg. of rifle primers for military ammo.
    Carey

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Have used CCI & Fed. primers, both are good I would have no reservations using either one. In fact now that Rem. are hard to find & more $$$$$ I may have to switch. I wonder if they (CCI)are going to discontinue their SC & std primers & go to their magnum only, it's a hotter more like Fed. 209A. Only thing I wish is that more powder manufacturers would add more data for CCIs. Ross Puls

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I use a lot of Federals and within the last year started using CCI Mags and love them

7. pulllit

pulllit Member

cuban,

Are the CCI Mags flat or dome cup like the Fed 209A's?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.