1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CCI M vs. FED 209A

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by NO BIRD, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NO BIRD

NO BIRD TS Member

I am considering a reload for 27yd. handicap using 21.5 grains of green dot, sts hull, and a downrange versalite wad with 1 1/8 of shot. The primer listed is CCI M. I don't know of anyone using this primer. Is there a reason these primers are not more widely used? How close are they to the FED 209A? Is there a contact at Alliant to check on a possible substitution? Jon

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

That's a pretty stout load, but it's just over 10K PSI at about 1250fps. The CCI209M and the Federal 209A are considered very hot primers. They are NOT interchangeable. Use the load exactly as listed or select a different load to match your components. A slower powder could also give you the same velocity at less pressure, which is something you might want to consider. You can contact Alliant to get their take on it. http://www.alliantpowder.com/ for more info. Link is at the top of my post.

I use a similar load that achieves around 1235fps with 20.2 grains of Green Dot and pretty much the same components except for a Winchester W209 primer. Kills targets dead from the back fence. The Versalite wad is a good choice for long yardages. Same load with the Remington Figure 8 wad is great for midrange handicaps. It reaches the same velocity, give or take ten fps or so. I would verify ANY loading data before using something posted in forums.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Since both primers are very hot, why can't you interchange them? HMB

4. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I believe that load is hotter than a Nitro 27 by a good deal. I chronographed some Nitro 27's and my reloads and the following load matched the Nitro in velocity and was a bit more consistent.

Nitro 27 hull, 20.5 grains of Green Dot, Winchester 209 primer, Winchester orange wad (I forget the exact number of the wad.)

You are using more powder, a hotter primer so my reasoning is the only other variable is the wad which I doubt makes much of a difference.

Jerry

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

HMB,

You have no way of knowing how the load will react to such a change. It can decrease, increase, or not change the pressure. Not having pressure testing facilities, I'd rather stay on the safe side and save the substitutions for light pressure loads. That load is STOUT. My load using similar components (Win primer) and 20.2 grains of Green Dot goes out at over 1240 fps. If you dropped the powder charge a grain and a half, I'd think about the substitution. Otherwise, load it EXACTLY as written.

6. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

The CCIM is a good primer. I quit using them because of cost. They are dependable. Post-2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.