1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CCI 209M Primers?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bolt-action, Jul 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bolt-action

bolt-action TS Member

A few weeks back, I purchased 1,000 CCI 209M primers because no Winchester or Federals were available at the time. Upon doing a little research and load testing, I have found that I actually like these primers. In fact, I am greatly impressed with them. They shoot extremely consistent over a chronograph, and Alliant Powder has ample load data for them. Why aren't they more popular? Why aren't more people using them? Am I missing something?

2. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Bolt Action, what kind of price did you have to pay for them? If they were priced right I would use them. I have used them in the past and always thought they were good primers. BRGII

3. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

hello,

I would like to know that info also, I bought 5000, at 39.99 per 1000 about a month ago but I have not used any of them yet. How do they rate to win and rem as far as performance and constant #s.

thanks
    lee

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The CCI 209M is a great primer. I just don't see them that much anymore. I use them in several loads, since they work well under adverse conditions like a few others do. There is a lot of data out there for them. I wouldn't just swap them for another primer in any recipe though. They sometimes tend to develop some pretty high pressures when compared to standard primers. I only have a few thousand left and will certainly buy more when I find some for a reasonable cost.

5. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

They are a great primer and I just ordered 5,000 of them from Grafs.

The only thing is, they expand the primer pocket size so that once you load a CCI into a Rem case for instance, you need to stay with CCI from then on.

My solution is to separate the hulls and put aside those that I will load with CCI 209M

6. bolt-action

bolt-action TS Member

BRGll

I paid $36.00 plus tax for 1,000 of the CCI 209M primers. The Winchester 209 and the Federal 209A primers were the same price, but they were out of stock on these. I decided to try them because they were the only ones available at the time. I sometimes wonder why I haven't already tried them out of curiosity - I do quite a bit of metallic reloading for centerfire rifle and pistol and CCI's are my favorite brand of primer for them.

The loads I tried over a chronograph were with Federal hulls, CCI 209M primer, Green Dot Powder, a 12S3 wad and 1 1/8 ounce of magnum #7 1/2 shot. I experimented with different powder levels (straight out of the Alliant Reloading Manual). All loads shot with a standard deviation of 7-8 fps. This is better than I get with the Win 209s as they normally shoot around 12-15 fps. standard deviation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cci 209m primers for sale

cci 209m primers for trap loads

rem209 vs cci209m