1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CCI 209 info needed.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John55, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John55

John55 Active Member

I have a chance to buy some at a good price but none of my recipes are shown with them so I was wondering how they compare to the Rem. 209P and WW209s that I am currently using. Any help appreciated!

2. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Hodgdon has some data with CCI 209 primers. You can try the link above and/or go to the www.hodgdon.com site and follow the links.

Jason

3. John55

John55 Active Member

Tried there before posting...no data or loads listed with PB.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Call Hodgdon and ask. There were loads listed in many of the old Dupont/IMR manuals using the CCI209 primers. They seemed to have added lots of data for Rio and Fiocchi primers and may have deleted a lot for the CCI primers in the online manuals. They are a decent primer, but primers are not usually interchangeable. You can't say "Just use data for primer X with primer Y". Call your powder manufacturer and get their advice. I would usually suggest using data for the hottest primer for the components you are using and then dropping the charge a half grain or more. The definition of "Hottest" primer being the one that develops the highest pressures with the least amount of powder, using the components you intend to use. Sometimes primers perform differently with different components. powders, and hulls. Look at currently published data to sort that out and go from there. I also look for a resulting pressure of less than 10,000 PSI. If working with unknowns, that threshold will be lower.

5. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

There is some loading data in the Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook. 5th edition. I used up a bunch I had and they work fine.

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Be careful with CCI 209 primers; sometimes they work like WW 209s while other times they're as hot as Federals.

If there's no data with PB it's most likely because they didn't work well with PB when they were tested. Very little data in Lyman 5 for PB anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.