Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CCI 209 compared to Win 209 and STS 209

10K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Wayne of PA 
#1 ·
How do the regular CCI 209 primers perform in comparison to Remington 209 and Winchester 209 primers? With 25 years experience in reloading target loads I was never one to mix different components.

I reload with Alliant American Select and Alliant list hardly anything with the regular CCI 209 primer for the STS and AA hull.

My Dad was kind enough to give me a 1000 of his CCI primers and I would really like to use them since reloading components are getting quite expensive.

Any one here reload with CCI 209 and American Select? Thanks in advance.

Dale,

#3 ·
The best recommendation would be to contact Alliant Powder directly. They could give you more information about what loads could be used. I would not simply accept ANY advice that states you can blindly substitute Primer "A" for Primer "B" in all instances. You never know what the results will be unless you have pressure testing equipment. The CCI 209 primer is a decent one and I have used them for many years in appropriate loads.

#6 ·
I've been to Alliant.com. As I said before Alliant list hardly anything for regular CCI 209, American Select with the STS, and AA hull.

I wouldn't be afraid to use them in place of the Remington or Winchester, I'm just not sure if they are a weaker or stronger primer then Winchester or Remington.

Dale

#7 ·
My experience with CCI 209 is with Red Dot powder and Rem STS hulls. For the 1 1/8 oz load Rem Fig 8 wad it takes 19.5 grs of Red Dot to get 1200 f/s; with Rem 209P and Win 209 it takes 19 gr RD to get 1200 f/s.

American Select is a little slower than Red Dot so I would have no qualms substituting CCI 209 in any American Select load listed.

Lyman 5th Ed. list a load using Win AA hull, CCI 209 primer, 19.0 gr American Select, Win WAA12 wad, 1194 f/s, 10,000 psi.

Jason

#9 ·
Dale, Phil is right, I have been loading American Select for 4 years now. When the STS primers dried up a yearand a half ago I started putting CCI in my STS hulls, like he said, a little hotter than the Remingtons so I went down a half grain on my loads. Loaded about 15,000 of the CCI's since and only had 3 primers that wouldn't go off. Now I'm down to my last 1,000 CCI's and will be switching to the Rio primers, only because of the price difference.--Dan--

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.