1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CB4118 vs Windjammer

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Trail, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Trail

Trail Active Member

Happy New Year, all.
    I've been using the Windjammer clone, CB4118-12 for a few years now and really like them. The one thing I DON'T like is the number of mis-shaped wads in some bags. The thin Windjammer-style peddles get bent up and it seems some bags are a lot worse than others. Not a big deal but it can lead to a lot of handling and putzing when reloading. My question....are the "name brand" Windjammers any better?

Thanks,
    Trail

2. shotgun52

shotgun52 Active Member

I have never used the name brand windjammer wads but I do use the claybuster clone and if you throw them in the dryer for a few minutes before you use them they
    will relax and open back up.

Brent Paulus, Geoman15 and 2llc thanked this.
  3. station2

station2 TS Member

I have used both the windjammer brand and claybuster clone but once you try the downrange clone of that wad you won't go back to the others it's simply the best windjammer wad available.

bluskyshooter thanked this.
  4. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Station2 - could you be specific. DR has so many windjammer style wads. What is the item # of the wad(s) you feel are the best at DR ? I am looking to get some 1-1/8 oz wads and was just about to buy a case of the original Windjammer.
    thanks, Brian

5. station2

station2 TS Member

Yeah its the orange wad DR WJ RPL its for 1 1/8 oz loads these load so slick and you don't get all the bent and stiff petals.

6. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Something I do with every bag of wads I use, to make sure the petals are opened up the best for loading, is to put the entire bag of wads (500 of them) into my dryer, for about 5 minutes on high heat. NO more than that, and I usually have a towel in there to keep the noise down. When I take them out of the dryer, I will spread them across a big beach towel on the floor and let them cool back down to ambient temperature. It will make all the wads "open" up after being locked in those tight bags (and all squished into tough using petals), and make reloading a whole lot easier.

Brent Paulus thanked this.
  7. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

My Apex loader has a big round ball for a handle. I use it to fold open the petals (8 usually but four when id do the 4 petal wads) by holding it in my hand and spreading the petals on that ball while loading a shell. Then the wad is already in my hand and ready to go into the wad guide with its petals spread wide. Put a new empty into the press with the left and get a wad in my right hand then repeat for the next shell. It does not take any extra steps or slow me down any and gives me an open wad.