1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CB Windjammer/Clays

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Calkidd, Sep 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I have been out of reloaded for several years, but it seems to me that a Winchester AA hull, with Win209 primers, CB Windjammer replacement wads and Hodgdon Clays would be an all around general combination you can find any where. But it isn't. I have yet to have found a recipe that has all of these components. I have an actual Hodgdon reloading book and they only list Windjammer II's. When I check Hodgdon's website they have a recipe for every other wad EXCEPT Windjammer.

I loaded a bunch with 18 grains and hoping to get around 1150-1180 fps. Can someone shed some light for me?

I have no other options to do other that what components I listed. I have over 4000 of the wads and primers along with 6 pounds of Clays.

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I discovered the same thing, but I had some Cheddite primers, so I used a Mec#34 bushing which dropped 18.7 grains of clays. It is a great load.

19.0 grains is the max load at 11,100 psi (page 58 of the Hodgdon manual)

At those pressures, I would not assume you can exchange primers either.

In a Remington STS hull, the max load is 19.4 grains @ 10,500 psi with a Win 209 primer and Windjammer wad.

I would trade someone for STS hulls or call Hodgden for their approval on Win 209 primers.

Of course...weigh your powder drops.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I wouldn't select a load that develops much over 10,000 PSI and would prefer to stay around 9000 if possible. Clays seems to be one of those powdwers that hits the wall fast, pressure wise. I like it for 7/8 or 1oz target loads, or for use with light 1 1/8 in straghthulls like the Federal Gold Medals.

If you find a load that is close, call Hodgdon and see what they say. Try to find something with a low enough pressure to give you some headroom and get their take on it. In any case, go on the conservative side.

4. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Typically, the Windjammer wad gives slightly to moderately lower pressure in most all powder loadings. If you choose load data with any other wad, the WJ will most likely be less. I've found the WJ wad to work quite well for moderate loads at shorter distances. JMHO

AndyH :)

5. leadvail

leadvail Member

CalKiddo,

2007 Lyman 5th edition, my latest manual: 11/8 oz., Win. HS hull or Compression formed, 18.5 Clays, W209, WJ, 1177 fps @ 10,200 psi.

I like the 10,000 psi + loads. Burn clean like factory new with great target effect.

Lyman, if your listing, time for a new one! You too Hodgdon!

6. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Thanks Leadvailoo ;)

Bryan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.