1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CB 3118 in Gold Medal?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by riflegunbuilder, Jun 13, 2013.

1. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

One of my shooting buddies gave me around 200 Gold Medal hulls and 50-100 pink Federal wads. I need a wad to load the remaining hulls. I have CB 3118 on hand that I load in Federal papers and Windjammers. Can I use 3118 as a sub using S-3 data?

2. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

The 3118 wad is not as "tall" as the pink wads and if you use them you will most likley end up with a sunken crimp.I use "TGT" replacements when I reload federal hulls.Works great for a double load.Good luck with it.

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

The Claybuster CB3118 (full name is CB3118-12R) is a clone of the Federal 12C1 wad and is intended for Federal Paper hulls. It is a Figure 8 type wad for straight walled cases. The ones I have are red. I use it in the Federal Paper hull with 18 grains of Red Dot and a Federal 209A primer.

The Claybuster CB2118 is a clone of the Federal 12S3 wad. It has a spiral body and is pink. I use it in Gold Medal plastic ribbed hulls with 19.5 grains of Green Dot and a Nobel Sport primer.

The CB3118-12R has a slightly different over powder base than the CB2118 wad to match the old Federal 12C1 wad's 2 piece base. it is a tad shorter than the CB2118 wad.

You can usually adjust your loader and/or use a more or less dense powder to obtain exactly the desired crimp.

MEC is now making clones for the Federal 12S3 and 12S0 wads. I bought 1000 of the white 12S3 clones at last year's grand. They are 8 petal wads. They look interesting but I have not tried them yet.

Ed Ward

4. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

That wad will work just fine in a gold medal but check your loading data before just throwing that wad in there. If I'm not wrong the 3118 will require a little more powder than the S3 to get the same speed. I'm 100% certain the recoil will be less and the pressure will be down. I love those wads. BYG

5. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

The 3118 wad is not as "tall" as the pink wads and if you use them you will most likley end up with a sunken crimp.I use "TGT" replacements when I reload federal hulls.Works great for a double load.Good luck with it.

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

The Claybuster CB3118 (full name is CB3118-12R) is a clone of the Federal 12C1 wad and is intended for Federal Paper hulls. It is a Figure 8 type wad for straight walled cases. The ones I have are red. I use it in the Federal Paper hull with 18 grains of Red Dot and a Federal 209A primer.

The Claybuster CB2118 is a clone of the Federal 12S3 wad. It has a spiral body and is pink. I use it in Gold Medal plastic ribbed hulls with 19.5 grains of Green Dot and a Nobel Sport primer.

The CB3118-12R has a slightly different over powder base than the CB2118 wad to match the old Federal 12C1 wad's 2 piece base. it is a tad shorter than the CB2118 wad.

You can usually adjust your loader and/or use a more or less dense powder to obtain exactly the desired crimp.

MEC is now making clones for the Federal 12S3 and 12S0 wads. I bought 1000 of the white 12S3 clones at last year's grand. They are 8 petal wads. They look interesting but I have not tried them yet.

Ed Ward

7. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

That wad will work just fine in a gold medal but check your loading data before just throwing that wad in there. If I'm not wrong the 3118 will require a little more powder than the S3 to get the same speed. I'm 100% certain the recoil will be less and the pressure will be down. I love those wads. BYG

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

This is the Red Eight. I use the heck out of them in Fed hulls. A bulky powder is in order. Red Dot comes to mind. I went back to Red Dot, don't know why I left it.

9. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

The CB3118 AR (pink/red) are in the approx. 200 Gold Medal hulls. I was very unimpressed with the GM hulls. STS and or Federal Papers maks a better looking finished shell I think. The GM hulls would make 8 - 12 goodlooking shell then the next hull or two would have a jacked up looking crimp. Tried 8 pt and smooth starter both with little difference. Oh well, Fed papers are back in the hull feeder now.