1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Barry C. Roach, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I have a chance to get a one year old female CKCS. You all helped me to decide against getting the Australian Cattle dog so I thought I'd ask your opinion on one of these. They kinda look a little prissy but I hear they are nice dogs.

2. SteveT

SteveT Member

We have a 13 year old male (well he used to be but we had him fixed). Got him as a puppy and he has been the best dog we have ever had. Friends with everyone he meets. Only barks at cats. Never has accidents in the house. Will stay in his crate at night in fact he is happy to go to bed at night. Travels well in his crate. He is a little bigger than most @ 23# but he is not fat. Definatly an inside dog.

3. blandgraf

blandgraf Member

We have a 5 yr old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Blenheim in color, he's a male with good temperament, loves kids, knows that trapshooters will always stop and give him a scratch behind the ear. We travel with him to shoots and he's been from Kansas to AZ and the Grand 3 times. The only drawback is the shedding. Of course, we've always had poodles and schnauzers which are non shedding breeds. We give him a haircut due to the thick coat so that the spring and summer temps don't make him so unbearably uncomfortable. I'd go for it. Just my honest opinion. Beccy Landgraf

4. K-Hornet

K-Hornet Member

sent u pm

5. George MT.

George MT. Moderator Staff Member

Hi! Just wanted to reply about Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. George and I have a 2 year old tri-color female by the name of Stella that we've had since she was only about 8 wks old. She has been an awesome companion dog and not the least bit prissy. In fact we call her the little tomboy and she is best buddies with our Corgi, Louie. She is not what I would call an inside dog at all unless it gets pretty cold outside. She was incredibly easy to house break and would have been ok with sleeping in her crate except we let her sleep on the bed as a puppy and there's no going back. Our Corgi sheds a lot but Stella hardly sheds at all! She does need a bath and brushing on a regular basis though because she gets tangles in her ears from running around out property...like I said, she's a little tomboy! She has the best temperament and is good with dogs, cats and kids. I hope this helps with your decision. I have nothing bad to say about Cavaliers....:) Carol MT

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Thanks folks. The CKCS I'm looking at is a year old female. Already spayed but the current owner admits she's from a puppy mill. I worry about health problems and have asked them why they are willing to give her up so soon after they got her.

I'm suppose to look at her this week and I'll let you know what I found out.

7. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Very nice dogs, however I share your concern for health.

Here in Ohio, a lot of puppy mills are run by the Amish ( Not a slam on the Amish), so I would investigate a little more.

Regards....Gerald

8. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Not a hardy dog. Bred too much for looks the last several years.

The fact that you can get her at one year old is the tell all.

If you want a spaniel, get a Springer (field bred).

Search tags for this page

which color cavalier king charles spaniel sheds least