1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cats and foxes

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by dmarbell, Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I live in an smaller urban area, typical cul-de-sac subdivision. I have two cats, each a little over a year old. Against better judgement, I started letting them out to roam some. I noticed a gray fox in the back yard one morning, and later actually shot a BB gun at it.

Today the fox was chasing one of the cats, which went up a tree. I had guessed, incorrectly I suppose, that foxes were after an easy meal and would probably not attack a cat. This could have been sport chasing, fox after a meal or a rabid fox, or other?

Should I be worried about the cats? Should I trap the fox? Firearm discharge is illegal in town, but if I suspect rabies I will let folks sort that out later.

Danny

2. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

Don't worry about the cats, when the fox gets full it will leave

3. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Get a good air rifle. Be a little carefull about sticking the barrel out the window. It could be a difficult explanation when the SWAT team arrives.

Jim Skeel

4. shrek

shrek Active Member

It will eat the cats if you don't keep them in, or eliminate the fox, and keep in mind there could be (likely) more than one fox in the area.

5. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I have an "air rifle," if you call a Red Rider BB gun that. What pellet gun, and what fpm speed, does it take?

Danny

6. DONNE

DONNE Member

OK , so you "let your cats out to roam some". Lets look at this another way. You let your cats out to crap in your neighbors gardens or on their lawns , kill songbirds , endanger themselves on county roads or pick-up ticks or some other illness and you want to kill the foxes because they chase your cats !
    Maybe you should re-think what a responsible pet owner would do ...........

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Just get some nice quiet CB caps Danny...those hi powered pellet rifles are as loud or loder than a 22 with cbs...I stay a ft or so inside my window opening and the house swallows most of the noise

8. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

.22 with subsonic loads will be as loud as the high power air rifles. As far as your Red Rider, you'll shoot your eye out but the fox will be safe.

9. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Shoot the cats and let the foxes alone. If you see one there are several more.

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Between the two, I'd rather have the foxes. At least they'll earn their keep by hunting the rodent population.

BTW, don't put food dishes outside for the cats. The fox was probably running the cat away from an easy meal.

ss

11. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

A good .177 caliber air rfle that produces 1000 fps will go right through the chest (lung shot) with the right pointed pellet.

Jim Skeel

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

A fox thinks a cat as a great treat. It will take a cat over a rabbit in a heart beat. Either keep the cats inside or shoot the fox. But remember something. That is not the only fox in the area.

13. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Learn a little about foxes at the link I included. I would not shoot the fox. You are fortunate to have them around.

Wayne

14. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

.22 CB caps work great on cats. Just a barely discernable "crack", kitty does a backflip or two, game over.

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Man Up.. walk out with an AR, a cigar in you mouth, and a mean ass look on your face, let off a clip. The neighbors will be scared so sh*tless, they'll never say anything....

16. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

This fox could be feeding pups and is pressed to bring the vittles back to the den. If you're going too allow your cats to roam then you should accept the fact that they may get run over, "adopted" by someone else (cats seem to be able to find new homes), or get eaten by a variety of predators. Be aware that grey foxes can climb trees, just not as good as your cat. My neighbors cat stays outdoors year-round and has been able to avoid coyotes, foxes (both reds and greys), hawks, horned owls and even fisher. The fisher can catch squirrels in trees and easily out run and out climb any cat. If you really like your cat you should really consider keeping it inside, because there are many predators that look at cats as a hot lunch.

17. Jamnss

Jamnss TS Member

I am with BigM-Perazzi

18. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Ok, here goes, firstof all, as others have said cats on the loose are blood thirsty killers. Not to be mean or a wise a## but its true they do what comes natural. Fox no different except they are supposedly never domesticated.
    Now for the mean part of me. As a kid we all trapped and, no offense, but are best and favorite bait was cat. Some of the neighbors ran cats thru the leaf shredder. Fox will not turn down cat meat. Sorry but those are the facts. To answer your question, yeah....If you want your cat, lock it up

19. charlie01

charlie01 TS Member

Danny, these guys are right when they say you need to be a responsible pet owner. Not only to the cats but to your neighbors also. Get your cats fixed and declawed and make house cats out of them. If they want out, let them out on your screened back porch. They will live a lot longer. I live in the city and see red fox'es and an occasional coyote. These predators are coming in town looking for a easy meal, rabbits, squirrels, cats, small dogs and pet food left outside. So if you want to keep your cats, keep'em inside.

20. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

My neighbor recently let their cats out loose. They were crappng in my flower beds, next to my front walkway, having sex on the hood of my car and leaving claw marks in the paint, and making my front yard smell like a litter box. They left dead things on my front porch and made noises all night long. Guess what I did. Transplanted a grey fox and let him loose in my back yard to see what developed. Looks like the cats might lose this round. If the fox gets killed, next up is a bobcat or two.

Keep your cats inside and do youself, your cats, and your neighbors a favor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.