1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CATEGORY RULE should be repealed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BIGDON, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

The current rule regarding Category shooters only being able to shoot for Champion and then back to category is very unfair. Especially if there is added money to runner up and places. The category shooter should be given the chance to shoot for the money and place. He could declare and forfeit category but he should be given the choice. Don't change the mulitiple categories rule.

If you agree please tell your state delegate to correct a bad rule change.

Thanks

Don

2. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

Why was the rule changed in the first place. What was the purpose?

3. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Yea, change it and while your at it, if you compete in more than one catagory, pay more than one entry fee. Don't like that idea? Then let it be. JMO, Jake

4. JRW

JRW Member

j2jake; I will have to agree with you on this one. Just leave the rule as is Jerry in MI.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

This was a bad rule from the git go for people that couldn't make a decision for themselves!! Give them 5 minutes to decide, or take what's dished out, period! That lack of decision is what delayed shoot-off selections and brought about this rule, it should be $h!tcanned ASAP!! I will remind my delegate too!

Hap

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I can think of one application where the Vet shoots off for Champion and loses. Normally would be runner-up, but, the rule puts him in first vet. Then the 3rd place loser moves up to champion runner up and takes the 2nd place money while the Vet loses it.

Doesn't sound like this was the intent of the rule...

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

It depends who you talk to. One was that it delayed shootoffs excessively with shooters being in multiple categories. Shootoff for champion - lose fall back to class - lose fall back to lady - lose fall back to junior. In the meantime you have shooters in each category waiting for results to see if they shoot or not. I agree it needed fixed but not what they did.

If a category shooter qualifies for a shootoff allow him to declare if he wants to shoot for places(money) and forfeit category or let him/her shoot for places and fall back to a single category if he loses.

Don

8. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Don:

Shooters eligible for a category may choose to declare or not. That's THEIR choice. If they declare, they've chosen to compete for category. If they wish to compete for place and money, they should forgo the category declaration.

Everyone should have the chance to compete for champion. Under the current rule, they do. I strongly favor the current rule and I'll so advise my delegate.

Sincerely,

sissy

9. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

What Recoil Sissy said, +1.

10. Seitz373

Seitz373 Member

Maybe just Champion and Runner-up in singles and doubles events, and something like Champion, runner-up, and third in handicap events, instead of just being able to take champion. I lost a shootoff for event champion in a caps event at the grand two years ago and could have taken runner up, but had to fall back to sub junior. I would much rather have a trophy for second out of however many hundreds of shooters, than sub junior champion.

11. dflo

dflo Member

+2 for Recoil Sissy! This is a great rule!

Dale

12. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The only people that like this rule are probably not Category shooters. The Category declaration applies to the whole Shoot all Events. I would rather have a chance for 5th place in Handicap with the added money that comes with it than nothing but the glory of losing the shoot/off to an All American.

13. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Talk to the shoot organizers about the added money. There's no rule that says that added money can't be distributed to categories.

14. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Seitz373:

Yea and maybe just ALL the handicap places and ALL the classes too. You didn't "have to" fall back to sub junior. YOU declared sub junior. Run with whatever pack you prefer.

miketmx:

The reverse is also likely true, i.e. the only people who DON'T like the current rule are probably category shooters. They're squawking because they are now required to select and commit in advance with whom they wish to compete.

If YOU are category eligible but prefer to shoot for 5th in handicap and the money that goes with it, I'm all for it. Just don't whine because you can't have your cake and eat it too.

sissy

15. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I'm not yet a category shooter, but do a fair amount of cashiering, and like the rule. For one thing, it eliminates the multiple categories "Lady/Junior" and "Lady/Vet". For another it gets old trying to get people to make a decision - "Do you want to shoot off for Lady or take class C?". "Well who else is tied for Lady? I'll ask her what she wants to do".

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Larry, if it was written into the program, shooters will have 5 minutes to decide, all that indecision nonsense would cease. I've seen it happen with Jr's deciding how and which to declare that might benefit a shooting friend most.

Great rule for club cashiers and management though but has a few unintended consequences as a result.

Hap

17. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Old Bigdon trolling and trying to stir up trouble, again.

Well, Bigdon, you've got a lot to learn. If you don't like our ATA, maybe you should go find something more up your alley, like knitting.

All I know is that I shoot the targets that are thrown. Darn shame you can't do the same and try to tell us how to run our organization.

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

The rule was adopted to assist management by making shoot offs simpler, especially at the Grand. I am strongly against a rule change that assists only management and is detrimental to shooters or a group of shooters.

Some say leave the rule alone and continue to let Class B and C shooters compete for the Vet category against several AAA Vet All Americans. This seems silly to me.

The problem involved shoot offs. That problem could have been easily solved by changing the declaration when a shooter checks in for a shoot off.

Pat Ireland

19. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

smoking357

"All I know is that I shoot the targets that are thrown. Darn shame you can't do the same and try to tell us how to run our organization."

LOLLOLLOLLOL That is funny you haven't even got a clue what is being discussed. Yet it is "how to run OUR organization" that is rich. Toker this has nothing to do with the targets!!!!! Why don't you sit there and learn quietly.

Better to be quiet and thought an idiot than to open your mouth a remove all doubt!!!!!

BTW your posts are proof positive. The other day(the 20th)you needed others to explain the program to you. Now you are going to tell Don how address the category rule that isn't even laughable the more I think about it. It is pathetic.

Bob Lawless

20. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Another reason for the rule was that certain shooters didn't like getting beat by kids and old men. Why not let them declare by event when they pay instead of having to declare at the beginning of the shoot for the entire shoot. Why not let them change in the middle of a shoot?

You don't think category should be elgible for the Added Money in the event. Shouldn't added money be for everyone regardless??

Did someone leave the door open, I could have swore I just heard a squeal out of a troll.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.