1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Catching spent hulls from a BT 99 ejector

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KS trap, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KS trap

KS trap Member

Can someone describe a good way to catch spent hulls by hand when the ejector spits them out from a BT 99?

2. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Put your left hand over it as you open the action with the right thumb and hand.
    My BT99 has a shell lifter.
    Some like the lifters, others the extractor.
    I think the BT100 allows you to change from lifter to extractor.

Art

3. the old guy

the old guy TS Member

Do it like the bunker shooters. Let them eject and catch them in mid-air before they reach shoulder height.

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Assuming you're right handed, holding the forearm in your left hand, crack the release lever with your right hand and then place the hand over the action...

I use my right forearm pressing down against the stock's comb to actuate the ejector, launching the hull into my hand...

If you're left handed, reverse...

Jay

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Hold the barrel perpendicular to the ground and tip the stock back as you open the breach. The hull will shoot straight up in the air. Catch it on the way back down or let it land in your hull bag on your belt. You might want to practice this at home first, as it is more impressive if you don't miss them as you try to catch them. :) Mark

6. the old guy

the old guy TS Member

Good Mark. I like that.

7. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I find that what Spitter said works best with my BT-100

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

So you are asking how to catch? Hmmmm

9. KS trap

KS trap Member

Exactly how do shooters eject them and catch the hull before it reaches their shoulder?

10. mike680

mike680 Member

I catch mine about 3/4 of the way up to my shoulder. Just a little hand eye coordination is all you need.
    Mike

11. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Singles isn't to bad it is the doubles that is hard. Just try it. :)

12. redfin

redfin TS Member

change the spring to a lighter one,or cut the original. then the shell will just pop a few inches out.e-z to catch. all of my brownings are like that. joseph

13. the old guy

the old guy TS Member

I've seen my old buddy bunker shooter Bob Kalwas from Rochester NY catch BOTH empties by extending his right arm to it's fullest extent over his head and never miss catching both WITHOUT LOOKING. I catch mine within 6 inches of the breech or I eject them straight up so that they land in the buckets in front of the mikes on bunker stations. It's fun and breaks the boredom.

14. KS trap

KS trap Member

Old guy - How does he extend his right hand above his head if he is using his right forearm to press on the comb and open the action?

15. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Jeez just don't watch the current Volkswagen commercial to learn or you will never be succesfull at it!!! He he. Like was mentioned just use your forearm to push the stock down after pushing lever over and cup your hand over the breech and they pop right into your hand, as Spitter posted. That way if you are tossing empties and it is not frowned upon to let the worn out ones hit the ground you have both options. Bill

16. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

It seems to me that Spitter is the only person posting on this thread who has ever shot a shotgun.

17. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Instead of using your thumb to move the lever ... use the right side of your hand down towards the heel to do it ... the hull will pop up into your fingers.

18. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

the thumb pad, Ahab.

19. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

For many years I just open the lever with my right thumb and as I break the action open and cup my right hand close to the back of the shell. I trap the butt stock with my right arm against my body as I open it. Not even slightly a big deal for me with my ejector BT-99's, Citori or Perazzi.

If I'm shooting and not saving the hulls I let them fly over my right shoulder. There is no finer smell than a Federal Paper leaving a smoking trail near your nose. If I were a better shooter and could get on Federal's free shell program, I'd shoot nothing else and never reload again.

20. Kingbang

Kingbang TS Member

Watch some one and practice at home. If your shooting to get better or for score? You don't need this in your mind. It is cool though when you go straight or win and can catch that hull shoulder high and make it look easy! HA HA.

Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.