1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Catch shell or not?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by YoungWes, May 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoungWes

YoungWes TS Member

I been shooting forever and I used a shell catcher and then stopped. What do y'all think and letting your shell eject out or catch in and put it in your shell bag?

2. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I don't shoot an auto for the most part at trap targets. On very few occasions I do shoot my Beretta AL 391 Gold Parallel Target when my shoulder bothers me. I use a shell catcher because I feel it is the correct thing to do and to be curtious of others. I have a shell catcher that works properly for it. And if I didn't have something, I'd use one of those heavy duty rubberbands found on asparagus. I wouldn't want spent hulls hurled at me.

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Do you like being hit by or ducking empty hulls from another shooters semi-auto, do you like dings & scratches on\in your gun???? Ross Puls

4. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Shell catcher. Mark

5. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I think a shooter is gonna have to be damned good to catch a hull out of an auto. Personally, I'm just not that coordinated.

GneJ

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Let them fly .... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

After being a trap boy when I was younger, I remember having to pick up all those shells after a shoot.

Today, I bag every one of my empties and then dump them in a container after the round.

I likened "letting them fly" to littering.

I guess you had to be on the other end of things to appreciate what I am saying. There was a day when a trapper could sell the premium empties for a little extra change, but today the empties are mostly ones that people don't reload so it's just extra work for the trap boy / girl.

I know the argument about "They get paid to do this" but I still like to be courteous to the trappers and clean up after myself. When league shooting at a local club, think about it. There is mostly volunteer help at these shoots, give them a break.

Dave in SC

8. reddbudd

reddbudd Well-Known Member

The only time I let them fly is when I'm on a 2 or 3 man squad in doubles.

Bud

9. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

ok, I'll bite......

You should use a shell catcher for a few reasons. It is courteous. It will keep your hull from flying in to the person to your right. If you have the knock down nub in your receiver then I would consider the option. This brings me to number two. Be courteous to the help. Its a 100 less hulls they'll have to pick up.

10. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I shoot with people all of the time that are so self absorbed that they "let 'em fly" and then walk away, leaving the mess for anybody else to take care of. Jerks that need a head slap. Bill in mi

11. Calkidd

"Jerks that need a head slap."

Really!? What club do you shoot? This I like to see, you must be doing a lot of slapping.

12. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Time to give a plug to Save-It Shell Catcher. Used a snap on for years, this is much better, especially if your also going to use the gun for skeet (singles).

It can be adjusted to fit almost any semi....

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/range-gear/shell-catchers-deflectors/save-it-shell-catcher-sku167000023-23143-49401.aspx?mc_id=12000&ch=csh&gdftrk=gdfV21820_a_7c187_a_7c7313_a_7c167000023_d_167000023_d_10103

13. lancelot

lancelot Member

I'm shooting a Fabarms XLR5, of late, and it hardly ever throws an empty far enough to hit someone on the post to my right. Still it can happen. I use a catcher for singles and handicap. When shooting doubles I caution the person to my right that he or she could be hit by an empty. That way he or she can move to another position.

This stops any justified p--sing and moaning once the round begins. Also on singles & handicap it allows me to toss the empty into a club provided container if they so provide. I do not reload any longer and I don't like a shell bag of empties bumping against my leg.

Good shooting everybody. Ron Ireland

14. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

We ask shooters to pick up their shells, either as a catch when you shoot or after the round. We provide magnetic shell picker uppers and have buckets for hulls.Signs are prominently posted asking you to pick up your hulls.

Yep, no one is going to force you, but the staff knows when you don't and those shooters then often have a hard time getting the staff to do anything for them. (such as filling the traps promptly, changing batteries on the 5-stand, finding the right shells to sell you, etc.)

99.9% of the members pick up their hulls, and we all remind the public shooters to do the same. We provide shell bags to public shooters along with the rental guns and to those that need one as picking up shells from a box on the ground between shots is a safety no no at our center.

Regarding SAs throwing shells, I ask the shooter who shoots the SA, if next to me, if he has a shell catcher. If not, I move to another position or another field.

15. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If you're new to the club, I suggest no shell catcher. Beaning other people on the line with your hulls is a great way to meet other shooters and break the ice.

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I wish I had a fraction of a cent for every shell I have picked up and I never got paid to do it nor did I get anything out of what they were sold for ... I let them fly, you don't like it I won't shoot at your club ... I won't have an ammo problem, I bring my own ... Red Cobra, whats the name of that club you are a member of ..? I want to avoid it like when they had the Riots back in Chicago, was not the place to be, sounds a lot like your club ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I wish I had a fraction of a cent for every shell I have picked up and I never got paid to do it nor did I get anything out of what they were sold for ... I let them fly, you don't like it I won't shoot at your club ... I won't have an ammo problem, I bring my own ... Red Cobra, whats the name of that club you are a member of ..? I want to avoid it like when they had the Riots back in Chicago, was not the place to be, sounds a lot like your club ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. Calkidd

If you do choose to drop your hulls, please be sure to shoot STS or Nitros. Thank you. I'll be right behind you picking them up.

19. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

WPT:
    And we don't want you. Please stay away.

20. Calkidd

Yeah WPT, you might get a beat down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.