1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cataract Surgery

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by paul7177, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul7177

paul7177 Member

I will be getting cataract surgery in a few months. There are now options for the replacement lenses. I would like to hear comments from anyone who has gone through the lens replacement and how it effects their shooting. Thanks.

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

i had cataract surgery about a yr. ago, best thing i have done in a long time.
    i was shooting again in a couple weeks, it did take me a while to learn to trust my right eye though as the old (67 yrs.) brain did not want to accept all that new info.right away. i hope you have as good luck as i did... Ross

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

i was shooting again in a couple weeks, it did take me a while to learn to trust my right eye though as the old (67 yrs.) brain did not want to accept all that new info.right away. i hope you have as good luck as i did... Ross

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I am as happy as a clam. I no longer need glasses to correct my nearsightedness of 50 plus years.

I need to use readers, which I never did before. My left eye was like looking through waxed paper, and now it's 20-20. Right eye the same but the cataract was less evere.

The downside is throwing away about 4 hundred dollars worth of prescription shooting glasses lens sets.

Maybe there should be a market somehow for them.

I would trade them for a couple flats of Nitros.

The operation is less trouble than going to the dentist. Prep is a couple hours, actual operation takes about 15 minutes. You are semi conscious, and remember bits but feel nothing.

They will probably want a month or so between operations to stabilize the first one before doing the second.

I think it's one of the better manifestations of our medical system, to be able to cure what used to be blindness in old age.

HM

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Ross, I hope someone can cure your flinches. You posted the same message 3 times.........lol lol

Hauxfan!

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

sorry about that flinch, hope it doesn't happen again,, or aflict anyone else..Ross

9. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

10. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Since I am 32, I have not had cataract surgery, but I had a very similar procedure - ICL. This is where a corrective lens is inserted into the eye directly in front of the natural lens. I echo what everyone has said so far. Procedure is a snap -- 2-3 hour prep, which is mostly just hooking up an IV and letting it get started. Surgery was 15 minutes and you are awake, but they give you a dissociative anesthetic (hey, I am a pharmacist). You don't remember any of it. Both eyes were done -- I was severely near sighted (negative 8.50 for the contact wearers out there) and was 20/25 since I could not bump up to the next diopter without having major headaches (with the next strength I was 20/5). I now see 20/15 and can actually see the rings on the targets in singles and can see the dimples in doubles. I don't know why a waited so long to have it done...

John

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

obviously i am not a computer whiz,, is there a way i can delete 4 or 5 of those f
    linches,,,????? --- ( any help greatly appreciated, thanks in advance)... Ross

12. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

I had my right eye done in 1985 and my left eye done in 1986. The lenses put in are obsolete and no longer made. Nevertheless, I am 20/15 corrected. I can't help you much with options except that they are probably all good now.

13. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

How long after the surgery did you feel you could see. I have an aged uncle who should have had this done many years ago. I have finally convinced him to have the procedure done. He is legally blind due to his catarachts.

Lou

14. nomoloscofoso

nomoloscofoso Member

Say R E L E A S E MOUSE!

15. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

For my dad (he had cataract surgery last year and it made me pull the trigger on getting the ICL), it is basically the same day. Go home, take a nap with the eye guard on, wake up, take the eye guard off and viola! you can see.

Vision does tend to improve a little more over the next couple of months. I was seeing 20/15 withing one week after the surgery.

I tried to go to work after the surgery on the first eye wearing the eye patch (I own my own businees) -- big mistake. Trying to look at anything through that freaking eye guard gives you a massive headache.

As Larry says -- Git'R'Done!

16. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Paul,

Make sure you relate all other health issues you have to you doctor. I'm Type 1 diabetic for 40 years and that fact moves my chance of surgery failure from 5% for non type 1 diabetics, to 40%.

Consult with your doctor...in detail, and good luck! Frank Bently told me it improved his vision and color vividness dramatically. Greener grass, orangier orange, etc. (that's good!)

milt

17. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Be sure you discuss this with your ophthalmic surgeon in detail. There are certain cases of astigmatism which remain, even after surgery. I discussed having similar surgery with my ophthamologist, and was advised that I would still need corrective lenses for one eye, since I have two separate types of astigamitism, one in each eye.

I only wanted to get rid of my corrective lenses for shooting and golf. And the surgery would be the same procedure as for cataracts. Corneal astigmatism was correctible. However the retinal astigmatism still requires glasses. I guess I saved about $4k in surgery fees. I can buy a lot of prescriptin inserts in my Ranger XLW's for that amount.

Best,
    Dennis

18. Butterfingers

Butterfingers TS Member

Just had mine done, Right Eye two months ago, and the Left Eye the next week.
    Right side is for distance,left side is for reading. Had some trouble with light unable to see in sun for a month and a half. Must wear dark glasses outside.
    However on overcast days I can shoot and see the target much better. MD said that I had a thick cataract on the right eye, but will improve. When you are over than 80 years old it must improve in a hurry.

19. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

My experience was to have both eyes done the same, maximize your distance vision. You can correct your near vision with reading glasses.
    Worked well for me.

20. Janet

Janet TS Member

I had both eyes done in the 1990's. Don't know anything about hard and soft lenses, but mine are great..20/20 both eyes. Operation a snap - I actually enjoyed it - must have been that "Dissociative Anesthetic" jevolina talked about. (Or maybe the fact that I am blond)..

Good luck and good shooting!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.