1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cataract surgery

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by garage tech, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garage tech

garage tech Member

Any advice about bifocal lens. I have been told by my regular optometrist that he thinks there not perfected yet. He says they dont work well for everyone. Any advice or experence along these lines would be most helpfull. It will be nice to see the bird again i hope. If the bifocal wont work i plan to just get the distance fixed and get some reading glasses. Thanks

2. coling

coling Member

Not sure if you mean bifocal. There are several multi-focal IOL (InterOcular Lenses) that have been around for 6+ years.

I have a ReStor in one Eye and a ReZoom in the other. 20/20 at distance and can read J1 (top line on closeup card) at office lighting in one eye and at low bedroom levels with the other. Do not know which is reading.

Cannot pull a crisp focus at 18" to 5-8' as the versions I have do not focus at this distance. Reading glasses for desktop computer work is what I do.

Research the ReStor, ReZoom and others - ask about them. Your optometrist is not the one to learn from. Talk with your Ophthalmologist (the surgeon) about his recommendations and advice.

Medicare and most private insurance will cover (after deductibles) the basic lens and operation - mine were about $1,000 more per eye.

Perhaps (ie cannot confirm either way) a mono-focus lens will be crisper for shooting.

Colin

3. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

coling has the right info. I was told that to do bifocal as you mention would cost $1000.00 more per eye. Hey I have been wearing glasses for the last 45 years or so so no big deal. Things sure are brighter after the cataract surgery for sure!!!!

4. garage tech

garage tech Member

Ok i go to see the surgeon in about a week and need to ask the right questions about reading shooting and things. I will spend the cash to get what i need but am concerned about what to ask. I am sure many of the shooters on this site have had this done and am greatfull for any advise. thanks

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Had both eyes doen with distance lenses and i wear cheaters for reading. It has been great that's my take.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I agree with Bruce. Best thing I ever did for my eyes. I would have paid double if I had too.

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I agree with Bruce also. I've only had one eye done and had the plain distance implant and don't mind using reading glasses. Huge difference from where I was. Good luck with your decision.

8. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

No guarantee that you won't need corrective lenses after implants.

9. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

I asked my Dr. before surgery what I should get? He said tell me what you want out of it and I told him distance was the main thing since I shoot a lot. He said single vision distance and I asked about the variable lens and he said you give up something at both ends as the perfect lens has not been developed yet that would cover all distances. He said if there was it would be the only thing selling. At 70 I have 20/20 and had to buy lens 2 shades darker than I was using before the surgery for shooting. I do need readers for small print but well worth it.

10. garage tech

garage tech Member

Thanks looks like distance will be the ones for me. I will ask about mix as i am a one eye shooter anyway. Can they be redone if not satisfied??

11. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

one at a time, mine were a week apart, some go for months between.

12. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Most don't like to do both at the same time. If something goes wrong with the first then you still have one eye left. My first one is schduled for Tuesday then the other a week later.

13. Recoil Problems

Recoil Problems TS Member

How long after the surgery until you are shooting again jbm

14. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

I was deer hunting a week later and about a week after that for trap.

15. cfchief

cfchief Member

THE OPTAMALOGIST SHOULD TELL YOU WHAT WILL BE THE BEST LENSE I HAD SPECIAL LENSES FOR NEARSIGHTNESS PUT AND IM 20-20 AFTER 50 YEARS OF GLASSES

16. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Both eyes done in 2012. Had to go back for laser after three months because of cloudy film developing in both eyes behind each lense. Vision is much more clear but still wearing the same Rx for both distance and close up. Good luck!

milt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.