1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cataract Surgery

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wlc, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wlc

wlc Member

I had vitrectomy surgery a couple of months ago to remove floaters that had made it difficult to shoot. The surgery went well but now a cataract has formed which again makes it difficult to see well enouhg to shoot. I have an appointment soon to discuss surgery to correct this. I'd like suggestions about what I need to ask for to insure that I end up with the best vision for trap shooting that I can have.

Thanks

2. pdq

pdq Member

First, do a Search of the archives as there have been a bunch of cataract related threads in the last few months.

I had it done in April. In addition to having a very skilled eye doc with the latest LensX equipment, I went with the Multi Focal IntraOccular lenses in both eyes. Excellent distance vision and also no longer need reading glasses.

Pete

3. wbill

wbill Member

Pete, I had the same lens as you and was wondering if you have problems with driving at night because of halos. Bill

4. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

I had mine done couple years ago. Went with single vision
    as Dr said the variable wouldn't give me the distant vision
    I wanted. Mine have worked fine. Have to use reading glasses
    for fine print but no problem

5. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Pete,

I'm interested in how well, over time, your multi-focal lens works out. I had cataract surgery on one eye a couple of years ago. Had to have the laser YAG procedure done on that same eye a couple of months ago. Everything seems fine now.

My other eye has a mild cataract which may need something in a year or two. I'm thinking that I might like the multi-focal lens for that (my left) eye. I'm awfully tired of having to get a pair of glasses to see clearly for anything inside 5 feet or so. I wouldn't mind using reading glasses for really small print, but I need reading glasses for most anything inside 5 feet or so.

Easystreet

6. old tex

old tex TS Member

Ditto old pshtr.

First time I ever remember agreeing with him!

unc

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Had both eyes done two months ago. Distance and targets are perfectly clear. So clear I've started to aim at them, rather than pass through. I need reading glasses, but, I knew that going in.

8. coling

coling Member

I had cataract surgery 4 and 6 years ago using a ReSTOR lens in the first eye and a ReZoom lens in the second eye. The link above is a good presentation on the multi-focal lenses.

I was not shooting at the time and started shooting about 18 months ago. This combination of lenses gives me great distance vision and close reading - I am J1 (top line on the close reading card) at both low and high light levels. The ReSTOR lens is J1 at higher light levels (say in an office) and J3 (middle line) at low light levels (say in a bedroom with just one light). The ReZoom lens is J3 at higher light levels and J1 at low levels. The mind switches between the images and it took me a year to realize what was happening.

I do use reading glasses when working on a computer as I cannot pull a crisp focus at that distance. Same with reading an odometer on a car's speedometer. Not a big problem.

I did have flares around bright lights at night that have slowly gone away. This means a red stop light will have a center and perhaps 15 ghost images a short distance away around the brighter center.

My health insurance paid after the deductible for the general surgery and the cost of a single focus lens and I paid $1,000 (I think) for the multi-focal lens in each eye. I understand Medicare will do the same.

Would do this again and will recommend it to others.

Regarding shooting, I would like some feedback as to whether the multi-focal lenses are equivalent to mono-vision and why and which lens should be in the shooting eye.

Colin

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

IMHO, if your a 2 eyed shooter, go with the monovision to give equal clear distance focus.

Yes, that is what I chose. Went from 20/400 to 20/20 . Now only reading glasses...
    for pistol i use a 1.25 stick on diopter...

10. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I had might right eye done about two years ago and it's been great. I'm fortunate enough to live a few miles from one of the top eye clinics in the nation. The doctor suggested to me that I go with the single vision lens so now I can see distance clearly but still need reading glasses. He said he thought it was too early in the development of the other lenses to know how they will do over time.

I realize other doctors will have different opinions, I'm only sharing my experience and decision. It's a big decision so it's good to have as much information as possible. I can tell you it's really nice once you have it done and it's a piece of cake.
    Mike.

11. wlc

wlc Member

Thanks for the personal experiences and the links. I've been reminded that because I have prisms in my glasses I will still need to wear glasses. I'll probably go with single vision lense to replace cataract and continue with a bifocal lense in my glasses. Thanks again all.

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I had the astigmatisms removed with laser surgery when the cataracts were removed. I only require light reading glasses now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.