1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cataract Surgery: Which Replacement Lense???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Easystreet, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I know that the subject of cataract surgery has been discussed quite a few times on this board, but my question is more specific. In particular, I'm wondering what type of replacement lense would be best for me.

Like most of you, I'm a shooter, so seeing clearly at a distance of 35 to 40 yards is very important to my shooting. However, I'm also a golfer and have to focus on a golf ball at my feet (perhaps 5 or 6 feet away from my eyes) in order to hit it. I have enough difficulty hitting it now without it being a big blur. :)

And, of course, there are other day-to-day activities like eating, brushing your teeth, shaving, combing your hair, opening doors, getting dressed, playing on the computer, etc which I engage in every day that doesn't require distant focus but rather focus on objects from say 2 to 5 feet away. It would certainly be nice to see distant objects sharp and clearly, but I also want to be able to look down at my plate of food and see what I'm eating without having to put on a pair of reading glasses.

I currently wear reading glasses if I have to read small print (especially in dim light), but can generally get by pretty well without glasses for everything else. I think I have slight astigmatism (double vision) too.

So, does anyone have any suggestions on whether I should get the single (mono) vision lenses or the multi-focal lenses or what? What has been your experience with the replacement lenses that you got during cataract surgery? Thanks and I appreciate your suggestions.

Easystreet

2. Stumpstalker

Stumpstalker TS Member

I had both eyes done over a ten year period. They measured my original lense and made a copy that matched so that I could still use my original glasses. they can cut the lense any way you want so talk to your surgeon about the options.

The surgery is a snap and you are back to a normal schedule the next day.

Carmine

3. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Ask your doctor about the "Restore" lens. My wife had them done in Jan. It allows you to see far and near and in between without glasses. But they do take a little time to get the eye accustomed to them.

Don

4. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Had mine done several years ago and the Dr. asked me what type of vision I wanted, like you, I shoot and play golf, he made the ocualar implants the correct strength for outdoor activities. Still have a light prescription but that is due to astigmitism(sp)

5. Easystreet

Here are two follow-up questions on this same subject.

1. For those of you who have had the "distance" lens implanted in your eyes, do you use reading glasses ONLY for reading or do you need them for numerous daily activities other than reading?

2. How many of you chose "monovision" where they implanted one "distance" lens and one "close" lens? Do you find this acceptable?

Thanks. Just wanting to know your experiences in this subject.

Easystreet

6. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

7. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I have the same vision needs you require. After telling my doctor my needs he suggested that both eye be made for distance. I would use reading glasses for close work only. The multi-vision options are compromises and will not give you your best vision for shooting.

When the surgery was completed I had 20-25 vision in both eyes which was quite good and the doc said I didn't need glasses except for reading. However I found that a distance RX would give me 20-15 vision so I opted for glasses with distance RX and reading RX (bifocals).

Most of the time I don't wear glasses. I can read fairly small print and see the computer fine without them. I wear glasses only when I need exceptional vision.

I would think you would not need reading glasses except for close reading. It depends upon how close the implants are to your computed needs. The implants are not an exact science. They will be close enough for most folks but for those who desire the best possible vision they could be off a little and need a small RX like mine.

I am a physicist and know a good bit about optometry. If you want reassurance about your needs call me at 850-697-2551 and discuss it with me.

The monovision option would be unacceptable for dedicated shooters.

8. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

I had the Lasiks proceedure done about 10 years ago. They did the mono-vision....BUT they made the short eye, reading eye, my right eye, left eye is for distance. If choose to go this route, be dang sure the dominate eye is your distance eye. It turned me into a one eyed shooter because the left eye does ALL the distance work, it naturally assumes this should be the case when shooting also....instant crossfire set up!

BUT, for 99.5% of the time, mono-vision works great for me and causes no problems except when shooting. Keep this in mind, I had my eyes corrected because I was tired of wearing glasses. I have more glasses now that I ever had before in my life...sunglasses, fishing glasses, shooting glasses, reading glasses, and safety glasses!!

9. gusto777

gusto777 Member

Easystreet . . .I had cataract surgery in my right eye last fall. I also had an astigmatism in the same eye. I was given a choice of a single vision lens that would correct my eysight for distance or a bifocal type of lens that would correct both distance and closeness. The bifocal lens was considerably more money than the single vision lens. After talking with a number of people who had similar surgery I opted for the single vision lens. My eyesight in the right eye is now 20/20 and I can see great at distances. I can also see better close up but do need reading glasses for small print. I do not need glasses for daily activities except for reading small print. I am extemely pleased with the single vision lens.

Gus

10. Easystreet

Thanks for all the comments. It sounds like single vision "distance" lens are what would work best for me. I wouldn't mind wearing glasses for reading small print since that is what I have to do now. Nor do I mind wearing glasses while using the computer. And of course, I don't mind wearing glasses while shooting since they protect my eyes. I just don't want to have to wear glasses for everyday activities.

I'm going in next week to discuss it with the eye doc and I think I'll probably choose the single vision distance lens..... especially for my right (shooting) eye. I think I'll have that one done first and then wait a few months to see how it goes. I'll have a better idea then what I want in the left eye.

Thanks again for all the comments. Additional comments are welcome.

Easystreet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.