1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cataracs and implants surgery

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by b12, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

In the very near future I am looking to have cataracs removed and implants put in for distance. I am courious as to, has this helped anyone in their trap scores that has had this done. Thanks Wild Bill

2. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

B12, It will be much better however Ibecame left eye domenant after the removel. If I had a chance to do it again I would get monovision and not have ro use reading glasses ever again.

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Similar to b12, I'm looking at the same for my shooting eye, the only one that needs it now. I had the same thoughts or questions in my mind but after talking with the doctor have decided to get "the plain lense for distance" and yes I will need to continue using reading glasses which is fine with me. Right choice? from those of you that have been there. What a forum to seek serious medical advice. LOL

4. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

I had my right eye done last April 5th, with the distance vision lens. I shot the first time, a 25 round practice at 5 days and started the SW Grand at 8 days. I told the doctor when I needed to be able to shoot and we worked me into his schedule so that he thought it was safe for me to go. First do your research and go find the best one in your region. There is no substitute for experience.

My shooting was erratic this summer. Starting out my singles seemed fine and I thought it was going to be business as usual. 27 yard when the wind was blowing or the targets were moving killed me. Doubles was the worst. If I made sure I hit the first I would miss the second and vice versa. So I was struggling with all kinds of experiments trying to find something that would get me back to normal. Finally at the Grand my doubles started getting back to normal. I am not sure if it was time and my brain was finally adjusting or if it was shooting 700 in 10 days and that concentration of effort helped my brain to click.

I cannot tell you if everything is back to normal because God hates trapshooters in Wyoming and we have had weather that is hard to practice more that 25 at a time. I intend to shoot quite a lot when the weekend allows it and also might sign up for a sporting clays league at Great Gun which is only 30 minutes south. All in an attempt to see if I can get my eyes to “normal”.

If you want to talk to me PM me and we can exchange phone numbers. Good luck phil

5. oletymer

oletymer Member

I had both eyes done two years ago and I love my vision now. I had both eyes changed to distance vision. I had been near sighted most of my life. My scores have gone up and I am very happy with the change. I do have to wear bifocals for close reading but that is not a problem for me.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

For trap, distance vision!

Fantastic difference. 20/400 to 20/20. I can live with reading glasses. Use 1.0 for bullseye..

7. BIG_STU

BIG_STU TS Member

After wearing -13 lenses + bifocals for 60 years, the cataracts became so bad in both eyes that Medicare helped me with the cost of installing a -11, and
    a -11.5, distance implants last month. If it wasn't for the -2.0 astigmatism in
    my left eye, I could probably shoot without correction now.

My left eye has always, even with the astigmatism, been the 'better' eye, and I usually shoot right-handed with 'Dots'.

Are my scores higher now than in 1975?
    NO! But it may not be just the eyes...

[​IMG]

8. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Had both eyes done last Oct/Nov...wanted just the implants for distance.
    Vision was better immediately, but after about 6 months, noticed it wasn't getting better. Had to use eye drops for dry eyes, as I had some clouding in my eyes when shooting especially. I thought I wouldn't need glasses for shooting after the surgery, but when I went to PA state shoot Frank Rively checked out my eyes on the chart, and I definitely needed glasses for shooting.
    Now, at more than a year after the surgery, it seems my eyes are getting better.
    I don't seem to notice any clouding in my eyes or dry eyes either. Maybe because I'm not shooting now, and not concentrating on the eyesight, hopefully just that it took some time to get real good.
    Good luck to you. Jeff

9. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Had my right eye cataract removed and new lens (for distance only) done about 3 years ago, it took several months to get accustomed to but now it's just fine, scores really didn't get much better but now I can see what I missed. grin. Dr. told me in advance that he couldn't correct to 20x20 but did get me to about 20x30 no restrictions on drivers license anymore, don't need reading glasses,etc. Very happy with the results, hope you have as good or better. Ross Puls

10. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Had it done in June, 2010. Was able to see 20/20 two days later. Now see 20/15 without corrective lenses. Colors are so vivid it is a pleasure to walk outside and look around. Opt fot the lenses that correct for astigmatism and far vision in both eyes. I have talked to many that went with correction of one eye close and one eye far. Most wished they had chosen both for far correction.

My only regret is that I have to find a new excuse when I hear "LOST". Marc

11. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

I have had both eyes done. Distant vision with 20/15 outcome. Floaters and age still interfering. thought it would be great be outdoors with no glasses. Promptly stuck a willow branch in my eye. Back to full time glasses. Multifocal implants are a compromise. D Winter

12. WWB

WWB Member

I had a cataract removed-no more glasses and 20/20 vision now in that eye. Still need reading glasses--the power depending on the light available and size of print. In less than one years the membrane the new lens is attached to got cloudy from cells. Also dry eyes {Colorado} caused rough spots on the plastic lens--a good eye jell at night, artificial tears when they feel dry and a procedure called a Capsulotomy and I see clear as a bell again.
    Willie

13. TrapDud

TrapDud TS Member

Had both eyes done this summer. I tried a new lense that is computer adjustable after it is installed. I went from 20-600 to 20-20 distance. The new implant even works for those with astigmatism which I had. They corrected an eye damaged by forcepes when I was born. Good luck within 2-3 weeks you won't believe the difference.
    Leland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.