1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Casualties at Grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by awbenz, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

Dead Rabbit, Dead Portapotty, a few missing adult beverages. Is that about it? The Heat took its toll on many of us. Hope all are OK. Allen

2. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

I noticed that the ambulances were running in and out of the shooting area frequently. Does anyone have any data about what incidences occurred and how many?
    Tom

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

just my pride.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

...and my pocketbook, credit cards, checking account...

5. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Tom, my guess would be that 99%, if not all of those were heat related.
    -Trappy

6. BigM-Perazzi

Trappy? You have information??

7. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

Look what moving the dates did for skeet and sporting clays. It increased attendance at both even though the nay sayers had every excuse in the world.
    Someone needs to step up to the plate and say just because it has always been that way we can change. Most businesses that have that mentality are broke or are going broke.
    San Antonio is great in October and was horrible in July and early Sept. I would think Sparta would be great in mid Sept?

8. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

No, it is just an educated guess. Whenever I go down to Sparta for SCTP State and National shoots there are always ambulances involved and 99% of the time it is heat related.
    -Trappy

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Got a PM the other day day from a gentleman whom I sold some Beretta parts to in the spring. He told me me the following, day 1 went shopping at the grand. Day 2 tried to shoot in a 200 bird event. The temp on the trap line was 123, the temp under my truck was 109. Didn't finish the event. There were no roving EMT's on the east end of the trap line. Day 3 went home.--This is my response-- I travel alot. I'm not from OHIO. I'm 67 & trap is supposed to be fun not work or life threatening. Word to the wise, we did not go thru life to die of heat stroke on a trap field in the middle of no where. Most of the backbone of our sport is 55 plus, for heaven's sake chage the event to the fall. I believe, most of the real shooters will pay for the additional expense of hired trappers,etc. to shoot in comfort.

Phil Berkowitz

10. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

I agree. Change Grand to later in the year. Average ATA shooter is 51 .Look at Leo's face on the web site. The heat was getting to him.

11. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

Our group had one that had his son come drive him home. one with cramping, and one with BP 190/120

12. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Zardozforty--You hit it right on the nose. Moving the shoot to Sept. or Oct would increase attendance more than bribing shooters to compete by dangling a big wad of money in front of their nose. Missouri is smart enough to hold their Fall Handicap shoot when the 100+ temps are over. The human body was not designed to perform in 100 + degree temps. Those who said they had fun shooting in this heat,get real,dream on. And please don't tell me how hot it was in Vandalia, thats not an issue here!!CED

13. perazzitmxshooter

perazzitmxshooter Member

Thought about the samething ,moving Grand into Sept. Talked to alot of people about this said it would be great if moved later. But would not not have kids for trap help.
    Douglas Worrell

14. 1881home

1881home TS Member

635G - I'm with you, sir. The majority of our shooters are over 50 years of age. I am 72 myself, and I did not shoot one shot at this years grand because I didn't want to drop over trying to enjoy myself.

If we (ATA) have to stay in Sparta for the Grand, the EC is going to have to find a cooler time of the year to shoot. This may mean we have to hire some adults to do the scoring. This would sure beat risking a stroke, a heart attack, brain damage, and possible death due to heat. Some of the money to hire adult help could come from the President of the ATA giving up his $16,500 gun allowance and his $27,000 expense account. OOPS, did I really say that!

I'm not sure how we go about getting this change in effect. It seems that ANYTHING that is suggested to the EC falls on deaf ears unless its one of the "good old boys" that bring it up. It also sounds like some of our delegates are reluctant to propose anything that may upset the EC mindset. If you have any suggestions on how to get the dates changed, I'd love to hear them and do my part to implement a change.

Jim

15. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Maybe another & better use of the Matin's generosity would be to pay for trap help so the shoot could be held when its a bit cooler. 100K -300k would ease the problem of relying on school kids to run things. Another aspect would be to install umbrellas on the trap line like a Florida club does.

Phil Berkowitz

16. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

It's just going to take time! Glenn Allison

17. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

When discussing changing dates - consider Elysburg only runs 50 traps and at the Westy Hogan shoot in Sept, the shooters have to volunteer to help or that shoot would fall apart. On the weekend of 7/8 Aug, Sparta was running 27 Banks of program traps (108 Traps) plus practice traps. you need a ton of support people to run all those traps. You need loaders, scorers, back-ups, and bank captains. You need trapsetters and maintenance people. Like I said before, Elysburg cannot run 50 traps without shooter help once school starts -

18. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

I went down on Wed. Bp 90/55, combination of the heat and a new BP medicine. 4 bags of IV later, was out the door of the ER. The ER Doc stated that they were seeing a lot of heat injuries during the Grand Week. Not suprising considering the the temps. He told me to trash can the new BP medicine, see my Doc when I get home and to drink fluids besides water to replace the nutrients that I was loosing. Seems my kidney functions had dropped to around 20% or so according to the blood test they ran.

I talked to the manager of the sporting goods at WalMart and he stated that getting the local kids out of school during the cooler months would not be a problem with the local school distric. Seems to me it would make sense to change the date to a cooler time of the year but it is an outdoor sport and last year you could not ask for nicer weather.

Next year, I will trust the weather channel's weekly prediction and base my going or not on the temps.

Van

19. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Time is something a lot of us don't have Grocery Guy. I'm 71 and gave this Grand up after two miserable days. If it isn't cooler from now on, I'm done with it. Money or no money.

Buz

20. BigM-Perazzi

Interestingly I'm 61 going on 62. I found the first day unbearably hot. Same as 2006 &2007. I figured out how to stay in shade (popup canopy) and stay very hydrated. Utilized many of the available cooling cloths, kept my hat wet, just like Kiner did, and I managed to complete the week. It's not comfortable, but, it's doable....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.