1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Casting lead/zinc

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ahab, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I have been casting bullets for many years. Pure lead for black powder, Linotype...but now wheel weights, for modern stuff.

Now the question...since there are zinc wheel weight now....what happens if some gets into the lead? I haven't run into this problem yet....but want to know about the problems, if I do.

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

It will ruin the entire batch of lead, at least as far as cast bullets is concerned.

3. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Zinc melts at about three times the temperature as lead does. If you do not hand sort them out before hand then by all means dip the zinc 'floaters' out of the pot as soon as possible. Even a minute amount of zinc will mess up the pourability of your lead alloy wheelweights. Zinc is also only about half as heavy as a similar quantity of lead. Look for the letters ZN on the wieghts and recycle them to the scrap yard. Bill

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Certain wheel weights will be alloys of lead and zinc (typically referred to as 'truck' or 'stick-on' weights). These WILL melt...

If you are making shot these weights are BAD - the zinc tends to clog up the works...

For bullets I am not sure - depends on the molds, bullet size, opening hole in the mold.

I have sinker molds I use this 'junk' lead in and all works well (yes, technically the sinkers are a bit lighter, but I've never seen a fish with a scale... harr, harr, harr)

If you want the best lead - separate out the clip on style weights from all others - as you feed them into melt the pure zinc ones will float - keep the heat low and it is easy to dip them out.

You can 'flu' with wax (think toilet bowl rings) to help bring junk to surface for skimming.

Zinc tends to create a bluish-black scum on the surface, so it's not hard to tell if you have some in your mix.

5. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Biggun, do yourself a huge and I mean huge favor and go to the LBT web site and work with Veral Smith. His book about casting lead bullets is the Bible of bullet casting. right now he has a sale on bullet moulds. His moulds are the easiest to cast and slickest moulds being made right now. His LBT Blue lube is perfect for all smokeless bullet casting. He has a regular column on the GreyBeard site. I have been shooting cast bullets in Black Powder and Smokeless for almost 30 years. I've used moulds from all of the makers and Veral's are at the top.

6. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php#6

The link above will take you to the Graybeard site. From there you have two LBT links. I really can't recommend his book enough.

7. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Maybe this will work better

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.