1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

cast off?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tracyhunter, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

what does having a neutral stock changed to 3/8 cast off do for a right hand shooter?

2. oz

oz Active Member

usually shotguns for right hand shooters have cast off. rifles usually have 0 cast.

3. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

It will move the shooter's eye to the right and will change the alignment of the eye and the beads. If one mounts the gun with a neutral stock and the rear bead lines up to the left of the front bead, some cast off on the comb will help align the eye and beads.

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

All else equal, gun mounted exactly as before and with face firmly into the stock, the gun would want to shoot more toward the right.

"Cast" can be a complex subject and refer to several things. But in most cases the "cast-off" people refer to means the stock angles to right (when viewed from the butt). So, with the gun mounted and the stock firmly into a right-hander's face, then, the REAR bead would appear more to the left than it did with neutral cast. One could also say that the FRONT bead would appear more to the right than it did with neutral cast. In other words the gun would tend to shoot more toward the right.

Therefore, JMac Cope's last sentence is incorrect.

-Gary

5. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

how do you know how much cast off to put in a neutral stock?

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Have a professional gun fitter determine that for you.

You can also monkey around with an adjustable butt plate and comb before having your stock made (or bent), but most people don't have a good enough grasp of the geometry to arrive at the correct answer on their own.

Even top-level fitters like Dennis DeVault have customers do extensive trials with mock-ups before making the real stock.

Again, deep subject. See if an adjustable butt-plate and comb gets it done for you instead of doing something costly and fixed.

-Gary

7. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

By shooting multiple patterns at 32 yards and doing some simple calculations and checking how far from the front of the comb that you place your cheek, as well as the barrel length, the amount of cast can be determined quite well.

Ed Yanchok

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

It helps align the eye with beads for a right hand shooter.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Purchase a book on stock fitting first, and do some reading.

It will help clear up some things.

I have Rollin Oswalds,..... a good one.

Regards....Gerald

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Are you sure he still needs the book after Mr. Bryant's detailed and useful commentary?

-Gary

11. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I was recently allowed to TEST a trap gun that had about a quarter inch to three eights inch castoff. After about 300 shells I can report that mounting is easier, sighting is simpler, breaking clays is simple (IF I don't fall back into my old mounting habits).

From behind the butt pad you can definitely see that the entire stock is offset to the right (castoff for a right hander).

Going back to my old BT99 will be a letdown. At least I KNOW that castoff is best for me.

Larry

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The effect of cast off or cast on is to move the shooter's eye (which is the rear sight of a shotgun) relative to the axis or the bore. Cast off moves the eye to the right cast on moves the eye to the left.

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

...and as goes the eye, so goes the shot.

-Gary

14. Fred Neal

Fred Neal Member

I think the last responder answer is backwards from what I understand But I have been wrong before Cast off is to the right and cast cast on is to the left.
    Fred

15. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Years ago, most shooters referred to cast as cast right, or cast left, depending if you shot left or right handed. I use a cast left stock as I am shooting left handed as I want the stock to recoil away from my face instead recoiling into my face.

Some people use cast left or right so they can also line up the middle bead with the front bead so they can hit what they are shooting at. It's not that complicated.
    Steve Balistreri

16. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I don't know where it is but I believe Dennis DeVault has an article explaining why "offset" is better than "cast". My limited understanding is that with "offset" the comb is still parallel to the rib where "cast" introduces a bend so that if your cheek meets the comb in a different place your POI will be off. Also with excess "cast off" the gun can recoil into your face very unpleasantly. A good friend of mine spent a fortune for a beautiful piece of wood for his Ljutic but he ordered too much cast off and the gun kicked the snot out him so he sold it cheap.

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Not to be confused with 1/4 cast and 3/8 toe out...

18. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

What miketmx said. You offset the comb to get the barrel to line up with your sight picture. When you cast the stock the recoil pad will then be off center of the barrel pushing the barrel (Recoil) toward your face instead of straight backward.

Click the link. I would think Dennis should know.

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You are correct Fred - I need to look at this stuff better before I hit submitt.

edit post

20. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Cast is an AID to having the gun shoot to the mark, rather than left or right of the mark.

Perfect cast is a skosh less important, but no less desirable, for a pre-mounted gun than for mounting from a low gun position. That's because pre-mounting a gun with 2 beads allows for minor corrections to the alignment of eye and rib. Mounting from a low gun start at a fast target or flushing bird doesn't afford you the same opportunity to check and correct.

Assuming you have 2 beads, simply check to see if they line up for you left & right. If they do, do they do it comfortably and naturally, or do you have to adjust your cheek pressure one way or the other? Ideally, you should be able to mount your gun with eyes closed, open your master eye and see perfectly aligned beads each and every time. When you can do that 100 times in a row without having to move a muscle after opening your eye...your gun fits you. If that doesn't happen for you, then some adjustment as already described may be in order. If some minor extra cheek pressure is required to align the beads, you may be able to get away with it, but some more cast will help. Unless you pick up someone's custom stocked gun, seldom will you find a gun with too much cast.

However, sadly, though it fits correctly and the beads seem to align themselves naturally, that's still no guarantee it will shoot where you're looking. Only work at the pattern board and/or lots of success at the traps can verify that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cast off trap gun

cast off with adjustable but plate